Is my 722 starting to go out?

dcbag

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 17, 2003
Tennessee
Last week I had black screen with banner on all HD channels on 61.5 Signals in 50s, called Dish, they had me unplug and do a reboot, no big deal solved the issue.

Then tonight while watching a pre-recorded program black screen, everything when dead, unit cut off, later the unit rebooted itself and restarted. An hour or so later watching a different pre-recorded program the same thing happened.

This may be everyones favorite DVR, but it sure is slow when going throught all the steps to come back on.

Unit is not quiet 2 years old, never had issues before. Any thoughts about whats going on?

Last edited:
ext HDD

Last week I had black screen with banner on all HD channels on 61.5 Signals in 50s, called Dish, they had me unplug and do a reboot, no big deal solved the issue.

Then tonight while watching a pre-recorded program black screen, everything when dead, unit cut off, later the unit rebooted itself and restarted. An hour or so later watching a different pre-recorded program the same thing happened.

This may be everyones favorite DVR, but it sure is slow when going throught all the steps to come back on.

Unit is not quiet 2 years old, never had issues before. Any thoughts about whats going on?

Hope you've got the ext HDD enabled. If so try to move everything over to it. Sounds like it may start the forever reboot cycle before long.

Hope you've got the ext HDD enabled. If so try to move everything over to it. Sounds like it may start the forever reboot cycle before long.

I don't have a ext HDD, no funds to purchase one. Most of my watching is just for the News. The DVR makes it very nice not to have to watch the commercials and to watch when I want to.

Should I report this to Dish now? Will they replace the receiver? My contact is up in a couple of months, and I do not want to renew it for 2 years, due to money issues since I am retired and I only have SS.

I don't have a ext HDD, no funds to purchase one. Most of my watching is just for the News. The DVR makes it very nice not to have to watch the commercials and to watch when I want to.

Should I report this to Dish now? Will they replace the receiver? My contact is up in a couple of months, and I do not want to renew it for 2 years, due to money issues since I am retired and I only have SS.

I am on my third DVR in three plus years of owning one. Both the 622 and 722 have design flaws that do not provide for adequate ventilation of the unit. I learned this the hard way (before I found this forum)This can cause excessive heat build up which will kill a HD that is already spinning more than the average drive in a computer. Remember that even when you watch TV and are not recording the HD is recording as that is what enables you to freeze frame and back up etc. on live TV. But I digress. The bottom line is if you have the the DHPP then you just need to call dish and tell them the symptoms and what you have done and they will send you a replacement unit at no charge. This will not extend your contract. If you don't have DHPP call immediatly and add it to your system, it's a small amount of money $5.00 I think. Wait a day and then call about the malfunction unit. Just don't tell them your unit is already malfunctioning when yo call and add DHPP to your account. After you receive the new unit, have it installed and mail the old unit back (they provide a prepaid UPS label for that, then you can call and cancel the DHPP if you want.
Once your current contract expires Dish will not require you to have another long term contract unless you upgrade your receiver or purchase a special offer that requires a long term contract. You will just be billed on a month to month basis.
From what I have read in this forum folks that have HD failure due to heat usually have their receiver in some type of an entertainment unit that has poor air circulation. If this is where your unit is I would suggest search the forum and reading the suggestions for increasing air circulation. Obviously moving the unit is one, but of course this is not always a possibility. adding some type of a fan is a good one too.

Good Luck

Ross

Thanks for info. I did have the thought about this maybe heat related, but then don't see how because my unit is in a unheated equipment closet in my unheated garage with plenty of air flow, no other items where even running except the unit.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)