Is my EHD Toast?

mrlasvegas

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jul 28, 2005
Los Angeles, City of
Everytime I restore I get an error message
While watching programs from my EHD 30 secods or so into the program it freezes and ends
I am not able to delete programs from the EHD.

I have a WD 500

Everytime I restore I get an error message
While watching programs from my EHD 30 secods or so into the program it freezes and ends
I am not able to delete programs from the EHD.

I have a WD 500

Go the the hd dish threads and you will see a sticky on this that will probably help.:)

The sticky is too long and not organized by problem. After reading 15 of the 34 pages I gave up

Called DN had a new receiver sent out, and the problem doesn't exist.

I have the same problem. I can get a little bit further than 30 seconds, but once the problem shows itself, I can't watch any more EHD recordings. If I reboot the EHD or the 622, I buy another 2 - 4 minutes of EHD viewing before the next lockup. I guess I have to make that call for the replacement.

My WD MyBook 500 bit the dust. Others have posted similarly. Don't depend upon it.

I have 4 diff. WD drives I swap around and have not had any problems with them. Strange.

I have 2 500 GB Seagate FreeAgent desktop drives (sleep mode turned off) and they are working fine. I just added a 1 TB Calvary drive and so far have not had any problems with it.

NightRyder

A WD 500GB is not the same as a WD MyBook 500. Enclosure/electronics. I salvaged the disc and put it in a different enclosure.

Yep. Different. Mine had a lighted ring.

Since they probably aren't selling the old (troublesome?) version, I'll grant there's no point in my posting about them anymore.

Two of mine have rings and two have bars ... all work fine. However, I did get one with a bar that did not work out of the box and had to exchange it for another. Just like with anything else these days, sometimes you get a lemon.

This weekend if I get a chance, I will start to try to figure out a spreadsheet with the EHDD makers and the problems associated with...

A spreadsheet would be great. Try to include a column for the USB interface chip.

My flaky WD is the older Essential with the round light (no power switch). Anyone know how to get this puppy open without tearing it up?
wd_drive.jpg

wd_back.jpg

I have a 320gb and 500gb My Book and both work well. They are the older, no frills unit with the circle as shown above. To avoid problems I never leave them on or in the 622's usb ports. When I want to archive, I plug the unit to the 622's front usb and they turn on automatically. When I'm done I simply take remove the usb cable.

Right now I am archiving a couple HD movies to a new device, it is a Simpletech SP-U35, 500gb EHD. I bought it the other day on Amazon during a sale for $99 and free shipping (I think it is currrently $114 and free shipping which is still a good deal). It seems to be taking the transfers fine but we shall see if playback is problem free. A few others have tried this drive and have had no complaints. It comes in colors (I have black and it is sleek and cool looking). It even has a blue circle on the face that tells you how much storage is left.

My flaky WD is the older Essential with the round light (no power switch). Anyone know how to get this puppy open without tearing it up?

I opened mine and salvaged the disk. Pry it open slowly, removing the outer cover just like a book cover. Don't pry out too far. Run a knife or screwdriver all around it. The "cover" will peel off and from that point on it will be obvious. No screws on the outer case, plenty inside. I could have reassembled mine, but since the electronics were what failed, I saved the disk and tossed the rest.

BTW, that inner circle is supposed to be the power switch. Sometimes it works, sometimes not.