NHL Playoffs - CI, Versus, and NHLN

Giant25

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Mar 26, 2008
I'm a first time NHL Center Ice subscriber on Dish, so I'm wondering how the playoffs are going to work. I'm a SJ Sharks fan, and would like to watch every game available. If a game is on the Versus network, should we assume the CI package won't carry it? I always prefer the FSN BA feed but I'll take the game any way I can get it. I only have the top 100 pack, so I wanted to know if I should upgrade to top 250 to get Versus (I hate to pay all that $$ just for VS).
On a side note, how come I can't watch San Jose Sharks games on the NHL Network, but can watch all other games on that channel (CH 559HD, I have a 772 rcver with HD package)? I get a blackout message. My zip code is 93420, which is LA area, not SJ. Any ideas? I don't want this to be an issue in the playoffs...

Any info appreciated.

I believe any playoff game on Versus will not be on CI. Once they get to the quarter finals, Versus and NBC will be carrying the games (none on CI).

I don't know why you are blacked out of Shark games on the NHL channel. I am also in the L.A. area and I don't believe they have ever been blacked out for me.

I used to have the top 250, but changed to the HD Only package, which has Versus. The only problem is I don't get the RSN's, but I save a ton of $ -- $48/month vs.$131/month for the "everything" package. I don't miss the other SD channels at all...

E* should put the versus channel in their multi sport or offer it a la carte. It's ridiculous that if you don't sub to HD you have to sub to top 250 or everything to get the channel.

So the playoffs start tomorrow and the NHL Center Ice lineup is completely blank. Any idea if/when this will be updated? Even the games on Versus show the teams as TBA. As I mentioned earlier, I'm wanting to watch Sharks games, and I know that game 1 is tomorrow at 7 on VS. I worry that I'll set my DVR up to record tomorrow's TBA teams, and then the program guide will update the event (with the correct teams) and it'll remove the timer. I guess I could do a manual timer, but that's a last resort. Any word on program guide updates? It seems like all other sports have their TBA teams updated pretty quickly.

So the playoffs start tomorrow and the NHL Center Ice lineup is completely blank. Any idea if/when this will be updated? Even the games on Versus show the teams as TBA. As I mentioned earlier, I'm wanting to watch Sharks games, and I know that game 1 is tomorrow at 7 on VS. I worry that I'll set my DVR up to record tomorrow's TBA teams, and then the program guide will update the event (with the correct teams) and it'll remove the timer. I guess I could do a manual timer, but that's a last resort. Any word on program guide updates? It seems like all other sports have their TBA teams updated pretty quickly.

I'd just set up a manual timer if you are worried. The only game tomorrow at that time on Versus is the Sharks game. I wouldn't be surprised if the teams aren't listed until last minute.

I'm a first time NHL Center Ice subscriber on Dish, so I'm wondering how the playoffs are going to work. I'm a SJ Sharks fan, and would like to watch every game available. If a game is on the Versus network, should we assume the CI package won't carry it? I always prefer the FSN BA feed but I'll take the game any way I can get it. I only have the top 100 pack, so I wanted to know if I should upgrade to top 250 to get Versus (I hate to pay all that $$ just for VS).
On a side note, how come I can't watch San Jose Sharks games on the NHL Network, but can watch all other games on that channel (CH 559HD, I have a 772 rcver with HD package)? I get a blackout message. My zip code is 93420, which is LA area, not SJ. Any ideas? I don't want this to be an issue in the playoffs...

Any info appreciated.

I also have problems with the blackout on the NHL network. It appears that they blackout a larger area than CI and Versus. I am thinking of "moving" for the playoffs so I don't have to worry about not being able to see Flyers games.

I just found the Minnesota Wild schedule. First round is on the worst SD channel in the area. We have national HD feeds but last time that happend they blacked out the HD for the low power SD channel. I could always try for tickets but they start at 150 each and sold out.

All first round games against Calgary will be shown on CSNBA as per the notice I received yesterday from your NEEEEEWWWWWWWW Stanley Cup Champion San Jose Sharks!!!!!!

Unfortunately, I'm in the San Luis Obispo area, which is considered part of LA, so I don't get CSN Bay Area unless the game is on NHL Center Ice. I'd prefer to watch the CSN Bay Area feed over any other, but it looks like I might not have a choice...

Good news for hockey fans...
I performed a check switch test today to "force" a program guide update (you'll probably all get the updates tonight or whenever you're set to get them). After doing this, the NHL CI channels and Versus network has all of the updated games, at least for the first 3 or so games of each matchup. The only thing that sucks is that I only get the CBC feed of Thursday's Sharks-Flames game, no CSN BA! What's that all about? Otherwise, it's the Versus network (at least it's in HD for me!). GO SHARKS!

Any info appreciated.

Giant25,

Versus owns exclusive rights to all games they air, so Games that are on Versus will be able available from any other source (Fox Sports, or NHL Network). NHL Network games are only available outside of the local markets for the teams in those games, (Hence you have to watch your local team on your local RSN, OTA Network regardless of if the game is on NHL Network).

The only way to get Versus is with the Top 250 Package, if you have Dish HD service you MUST also have the Top250 to get the VS/Golf HD Channel. Lastly be aware Versus and the Golf Channel share their HD channel,so there are no HD NHL games on Thursday and Friday nights VS/Golf HD.

John

GO CAPS!!!!! What sucks is I looked at the VS/Golf HD channel for Friday and the Caps vs Flyers isnt going to be aired in HD. They feel the need to show Masters Highlights for the evening instead of playoff hockey. Stuck with watching it on the regular Versus SD channel. BOOOOO, BOOOOOOOOOOO VS.

I think the Caps are going to surprise us in the Playoffs. :D

I do not think your Detroit Red Wings will surprise us. Only question is who will they defeat in the finals? Sadly, my vote is the Pens :tux:. Love to see the kids win, but being a realist I would bet on the Wings.

GO CAPS!!!!! What sucks is I looked at the VS/Golf HD channel for Friday and the Caps vs Flyers isnt going to be aired in HD. They feel the need to show Masters Highlights for the evening instead of playoff hockey. Stuck with watching it on the regular Versus SD channel. BOOOOO, BOOOOOOOOOOO VS.

I sure would be GREAT if the NHL went back to ESPN for the games.
I did hear that they may go back to ESPN instead of NBC next season.
We can hope.

I sure would be GREAT if the NHL went back to ESPN for the games.
I did hear that they may go back to ESPN instead of NBC next season.
We can hope.

How great would that be? I wont hold my breath on it, but if the ratings are good for the playoff's, it could happen.

I noticed that too, and it really sucks that they would rather show a recap show than an actual live event! ughhh Anyway Flyers in 6 :D

How great would that be? I wont hold my breath on it, but if the ratings are good for the playoff's, it could happen.

Well one thing is we would NOT have share the HD channel with GOLF.
I am assuming that ESPN would use their ESPN or ESPN2 setups like they used to do.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts