Is my hr24/h24 whole home DVR installedd properly?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

supermaxhd

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Mar 9, 2008
System was installed yesterday. I am trying to figure out if it is installed correctly.

It seems like very thing works but I do get a 'receivers have reduced network performance' when I run the network test.

HR24 is in the living room. One wire comes trhough the wall goes to a splitter. One wire from the splitter goes to the HR24 otherto a DECA adapter. The DECA adapter has three green lights. It has a power adapter plugged into one side, the other split wire into the other side. An ethernet cable from th DECA goes to a switch I have in my TV cabinet for XBOX and other stuff. Both tuners work in the HR24. DirecTV on demand works on both the HR24 AND H24. I can play shows recorded on the HR24 on the H24.

I don't understand why I need the external DECA adapter or if the reduced network performance should be a concern. Also, I understand the MRV concept. What is it if anything that whole home DVR adds to MRV?

Thanks for the help!

You need the external DECA adapter to connect to the internet for On Demand.
The whole home DVR system creates a network using the coax cables of the DirecTV system. Thus eliminating the need to run separate Cat5 to each receiver.

How is the H24 connected? And tell us a little more about your network connections to the internet. What IP addresses have been assigned from the DHCP router?

BTW, I didn't think On Demand worked with a non-DVR receiver, such as the H24.

First you are correct DirectTV on Demand is only on the HR24.

My internet is Insight cable, it plugs into an older Belkin router 54G access point that has never given me any trouble. It is on the other side of my living room from the TV. My TV cabinet has a 10/100 switch that I plug my XBOX, BLURay and HTPC into. The DECA adapter is plugged into the switch. My IP addresses are 192.168.2.9 and 2.12. I can ping both from my computer. Also, the network service test fails.

Whole Home DVR is nothing more than MRV over the DECA? I've done more searching on this forum and now understand that an ethernet cable plugged into the HR24 directly will disable the DECA adapter? Not sure I understand the point of the internal DECA adapter if it won't work with a home netowrk/internet connection.

You need the external DECA adapter to connect to the internet for On Demand.
The whole home DVR system creates a network using the coax cables of the DirecTV system. Thus eliminating the need to run separate Cat5 to each receiver.

How is the H24 connected? And tell us a little more about your network connections to the internet. What IP addresses have been assigned from the DHCP router?

BTW, I didn't think On Demand worked with a non-DVR receiver, such as the H24.

The "reduced network performance" error indicates that the DECA signal does not quite meet performance standards. This could be either from insufficient DECA signal levels reaching one of the devices or possibly from interference (the same signal travelling over two paths).

Even with non-compliant numbers, you may find that sharing works fine and you may be able to ignore the error message, but if you call Directv with the error code shown they will probably schedule a service call to check out the installation.

Did they install a green label SWM (or if not, was a bandstop filter used?) Do your splitters have green labels?

You can run a test by pressing the front panel guide and right arrow buttons simultaneously (it can be tricky but I usually hold the right arrow down with one finger and then press the guide button). Select "coax network status". The first screen will show each device and the physical levels, which should all be less than 60.

If you select "Phy Rate Mesh" you will get another screen with a matrix of numbers. All of these should be greater than 215. I had some numbers around 195 but when I switched to a green label splitter, they are all greater than 240 and I no longer get the error message. Some people have seen improvement by changing cable lengths by a few inches.

The "green label" devices are optimized for DECA.

Only the H24 and HR24 (which have DECA built-in) support this measurement.

Last edited:
...Not sure I understand the point of the internal DECA adapter if it won't work with a home netowrk/internet connection.
The purpose of DECA, either internal to the HR24 or external adapter with the others, is so that separate cat5 isn't needed to be run to the units. Then an internet version of the DECA module is used to connect to the internet.

The splitter does have a green label. I only see one splitter.

The Phy rate message looks something like this...

0 1 2 3 ............15
1 207 208 220
2 223 216 217
3 217 204 205

All other numbers are 0.

Info status tab shows 3 Node id's 0 LIVING Phy levela N/A, Bedroom Phy level 32, and NODE 000b6bfb3561 with a Phy level 28. Dropped session count is 0.

thanks,

The "reduced network performance" error indicates that the DECA signal does not quite meet performance standards. This could be either from insufficient DECA signal levels reaching one of the devices or possibly from interference (the same signal travelling over two paths).

Even with non-compliant numbers, you may find that sharing works fine and you may be able to ignore the error message, but if you call Directv with the error code shown they will probably schedule a service call to check out the installation.

Did they install a green label SWM (or if not, was a bandstop filter used?) Do your splitters have green labels?

You can run a test by pressing the front panel guide and right arrow buttons simultaneously (it can be tricky but I usually hold the right arrow down with one finger and then press the guide button). Select "coax network status". The first screen will show each device and the physical levels, which should all be less than 60.

If you select "Phy Rate Mesh" you will get another screen with a matrix of numbers. All of these should be greater than 215. I had some numbers around 195 but when I switched to a green label splitter, they are all greater than 240 and I no longer get the error message. Some people have seen improvement by changing cable lengths by a few inches.

The "green label" devices are optimized for DECA.

Only the H24 and HR24 (which have DECA built-in) support this measurement.

The splitter does have a green label. I only see one splitter.

The Phy rate message looks something like this...

0 1 2 3 ............15
1 207 208 220
2 223 216 217
3 217 204 205

All other numbers are 0.

Info status tab shows 3 Node id's 0 LIVING Phy levela N/A, Bedroom Phy level 32, and NODE 000b6bfb3561 with a Phy level 28. Dropped session count is 0.

thanks,

The numbers less than 215 are marginally low and explain the error message. By any chance are there any unused ports on your splitter? If so, they should be terminated.

The numbers less than 215 are marginally low and explain the error message. By any chance are there any unused ports on your splitter? If so, they should be terminated.

Inside behind the HR24 in my living room is a two way spliter, one wire goes to the HR24 the other to the DECA (with a green label as well. There is just the one spliter inside so no unused ports.

Now let me describe what I see outside at the dish. The dish is not new. It was installed in Jan. 2008. I saw the tech replace the LNB's when he was here Wednesday. I just climbed my ladder and see that some of the old wire was cut lose but still attached to the dish mounting pole with cable ties. Othewise the wiring looks neatly done. From the LNB iI see one cable with 2 coax and a smaller third wire. The smaller third wire is cut halfway between the LNB's and a green labeled 4 way splitter. One of the two coax wires from the dish connects to oneside of the splitter. The other side of the splitter has three wires coming out. The unsused port on that splitter appears to have a terminator plug (sometihng is there anyway). The splitter has a a ground wire hooked up on one side that I believe would be the cut wire so it really isn't doing anything. The other side of the splitter has a green ground wire that goes to my elsectric meter for grounding.

Also, does it matter to me that the network services tests fail?

Do I need to ask DirecTV to come take a look now? Since I didn't sign up for the protection plan I may have to pay if I wait and have problems later. The instaaller asked that if I had problems in the next few days to call the installation company directly.

A four way splitter is at the base of my Dish on my roof. Should it be there exposed to the elements or should it be in the cable utility box on the back of my house. Are there any good diagrams or pictures I can look at?

This is how I am thiking this should be now if it is done right. One coax wire from the dish to the 'cable box' on the back of the house. Inside the cable box will be the splitter with the green label. A two way splitter inside of this box should be used. Not the 4 way that I have now at the base of the dish. One of the wires from the cable utility box will be split and go to the HR24 in my living room. The splitter I now have in my living room is correct. One wire to the HR24 one to the Ethernet DECA. The other half of the splitter in the cable utility box should go to the H20 in the bedroom.

One of the wires coming from the 4 port splitter at the base of the dish that goes to the HR24 was cut off in the living room behind the HR24 and not used. Would this be an unterminated cable and the source of my signal loss?

A four way splitter is at the base of my Dish on my roof. Should it be there exposed to the elements or should it be in the cable utility box on the back of my house. Are there any good diagrams or pictures I can look at?

This is how I am thiking this should be now if it is done right. One coax wire from the dish to the 'cable box' on the back of the house. Inside the cable box will be the splitter with the green label. A two way splitter inside of this box should be used. Not the 4 way that I have now at the base of the dish. One of the wires from the cable utility box will be split and go to the HR24 in my living room. The splitter I now have in my living room is correct. One wire to the HR24 one to the Ethernet DECA. The other half of the splitter in the cable utility box should go to the H20 in the bedroom.

That would be a better way to configure your wiring.

I called DirecTV and told them about the reduced network performance error. I tried to explain why why I thought the wiring had been done wrong but I don't believe I was talking to anyone that understood. Without much hesitation they scheduled a service call for Tuesday.

I called DirecTV and told them about the reduced network performance error. I tried to explain why why I thought the wiring had been done wrong but I don't believe I was talking to anyone that understood. Without much hesitation they scheduled a service call for Tuesday.

I agree; the CSRs are not technical. It seems even the technical department CSRs are not very techy either.

Hopefully your tech will be technical enough. Seems you have enough information to get him started.

All, thanks for the help and great advice. I am less happy with DirecTV right now. What should I do?

I had a 12 - 4 appointment today. Dispatch called and said the tech was running late. I asked if I could get a call when he was on his way so I could go back to work. I had also instructed my neighbor to let him in in case I could not be there. I went back to work and then the tech called at 3pm to let me know he was at my house. The neighbor let him in. I l had left notes on my problem and why I felt the wiring was worng. I also fully explained to the tech before he got started.

Fast forward 2.5 hours, I get home and the tech is finishing up. He said he had been on the phone with DirecTV support most of the time and that the problem was found that the 4 port splitter at the base of the dish was bad. He had replaced it.

I explained to him again that I felt that the problem was the unterminated wire from the splitter and asked him if he had checked that first. Then we got into a disagreement (maybe even argument) over that. He said I did not have a unterrminated cable. I look to show him and see that he had removed the 2 port green splitter behind the TV and is now using both lines. One of the lines now has a black power adapter has a black SWiM power inserter before going to the HR24. I explained that indeed there was an unterminated wire there and exactly how it had been hooked up. This is in addition to the white DECA adapter on the other line behind the HR24.

I complained that they did not hook it up right last week and that was likely all that was wrong but I couldn't get him to do anything else. He didn't seem to undersand that this was a new install and not an upgrade. I tried to explain that DirecTV service had not been in this house for 6 months.

We also had heavy rain this morning but when I was getting ready for work the skys were dark but no rain. My satellite was searching for signal for 20 minutes. The tech said this was normal for the conditions today.

I am still steaming over this. Although I am not getting any errors, I have an install that has a green splitter that is installed at the dish that could have just as easily been installed in the cable junction box. Now I have two wires going to the HR24 and two powered devices (DECA and power inserter). My house is not old and the wiring runs are very short. Is this an acceptable install? The tech claimed to have had three years experience and only did repairs.

Last edited:
After Day 2 of my install I'm floored how I am having the exact same issue as the OP. Thanks to the help provided in this thread.

Both my DECA and 4-way splitter have green labels on them.

Would connection strength be worse by having a long run of ethernet cable from router to DECA and a small coax from DECA to splitter as opposed to having a short ethernet cable to DECA and long coax to splitter?

Currently my setup has a long ethernet cable. It was the best I could hope for since the tech didn't even want to use the DECA at all originally.

Either a single cable from the main splitter with a second splitter to feed the HR24 and DECA or separate cables from the splitter to each would be acceptable.

A single cable from the main splitter to second splitter to feed the HR24 and DECA is how the installer who was here last week left it (along with the unterminated wire). I feel like replacing the 4 port splitter at the dish with a 2 port (thus eliminating the unterminated wire) would have fixed this. But now it looks like I won't know.

I don't feel like I have explained this setup very well because no one has agreed with me that the black power inserter is not needed. Here is a picture. Can my setup work without the black power adapter and only one of the two coax lines? The line coming through the wall is a double coax wire. thanks!

Attachments

• IMAG0012.jpg
    IMAG0012.jpg
    913.2 KB · Views: 392
Last edited:
I don't feel like I have explained this setup very well because no one has agreed with me that the black power inserter is not needed. Here is a picture. Can my setup work without the black power adapter and only one of the two coax lines? The line coming through the wall is a double coax wire. thanks!

The black box is your SWiM power inserter; can't do w/o it. The DECA and attached power supply is your broadband INTERNET connection. Both are necessary if you want satellite TV, MRV and VOD.

One thing to remember with broadband DECA, there should be no powerline or wireless adapters between the router and broadband DECA (not saying that they don't work but they inject another Murphy into the network and wired is faster).

There are alternate ETHERNET setups but they're not supported and IMO, are not the ideal method. Using ETHERNET, in your case, would only require cabling both Directv boxes with ETHERNET cable. The broadband DECA provides the advantage of one connection for all boxes. In your case only two, but for others with multiple receivers, one connection is far more convenient than running ETHERNET cable to all boxes.

Another advantage that DECA offers you is that it keeps the MRV traffic on your coax so it doesn't task your network with HD streams. Wireless may not be capable of streaming the quality or reliability of wired ETHERNET, DECA does.

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)