Is On Demand Free

11555h

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Feb 25, 2021
Southern Michigan
Still getting used to the Dish system. I did a search on my Hopper for a new series being currently shown on Showtime. It's called American Rust with Jeff Daniels. I think 9 episodes have been played so far. It showed that it was available so I clicked on it and it came up as On Demand. I only have America's Top 200 and no add on channels. When clicking on the few screens it came up with a Showtime screen I think. It is a current series on Showtime so I was surprised that I would be able to get it free. OR, isn't it free? What do you think? All opinions welcome. Thank you, Larry

On Demand in that case is free if you already have a Showtime subscription through Dish. The same with Epix and the other On Demand options. If it's a Dish specific On Demand, you'll be given an option to rent or purchase.

The easiest way to not be bothered with those are to go into your channel favorites and just deselect it from being a favorite and it will not show up in your guide.

Rust is an interesting, if not rather dark, series.

Reactions: charlesrshell
Welcome to dish family Larry. Some of on demand shows are free some aren’t. If I am not mistaken, all the networks (ABC, NBC, etc.) offer few previous episodes free, meaning you need to stream it with your Internet connection. If there is any charge, you need to accept it before going any further. So ,no sneaky unknown charges before your knowledge. Remember, you need to have a good internet speed (ethernet or wifi). In case you haven’t recorded any on demand show, it is difficult to skip commercials (if there are some).

Larry, if you look at that Showtime screen closely it probably tells you that you must subscribe to Showtime to receive the on demand programming. If Showtime is in Free Preview, you can watch for free. It does not appear that Showtime is in free preview at the moment.

Another option if you really want to catch up on Rust and a couple of other on Showtime like Billions, etc. Right now Dish has a special on Showtime for $5/month for 3 months. All you have to do it call retention and they can add it. If you don't want it permanently to go up to $10/month just make sure to tell them to not check the renew after 3 months flag and you'll get an email a week or so before it drops.

$15 is cheaper than buying a DVD.

I'm not aware that I have Showtime. I've had Dish for probably 6 months or so and I know I'm not paying for it. I heard Rust was a pretty dark show but we are fans of Jeff Daniels. He lives about 20 miles from us and he does a show most Christmas seasons for about 7 nights in a little theater that he started years ago. We try and go every year. He puts on a hell of a show. Funny and very talented on the guitar.

Larry, when you click on American Rust do you get a screen that looks exactly like this:
IMG_0185.jpeg

Notice that it shows HD and just below that Free. Go to episode 9, that's the final one. Do you see the same screen? Now go to channel 318. Are you able to watch programming?

Another option if you really want to catch up on Rust and a couple of other on Showtime like Billions, etc. Right now Dish has a special on Showtime for $5/month for 3 months. All you have to do it call retention and they can add it. If you don't want it permanently to go up to $10/month just make sure to tell them to not check the renew after 3 months flag and you'll get an email a week or so before it drops.

$15 is cheaper than buying a DVD.
I prefer PHYSICAL MEDIA myself. Especially 4K HDR Blu-rays and 3D Blu-rays.

I just double checked. I hit the Home button, then On Demand, and then a few lines down was a list called "Free TV Shows" and American Rust was listed.

If so Dish may be doing a free preview weekend. If so get it and watch it fast, I found out the hard way when I download a show on HBO when they were previewing it. As soon as the preview time was up the downloaded show was invalidated. Maybe they just give you the 1st show as a teaser.

Let us know.

• Sad
Reactions: jannah and TheKrell
Larry, when you click on American Rust do you get a screen that looks exactly like this:
View attachment 154511
Notice that it shows HD and just below that Free. Go to episode 9, that's the final one. Do you see the same screen? Now go to channel 318. Are you able to watch programming?
Yes I do get a screen like that where it says it is free. I can go up to episode 9 and it shows that is free as well. hen I go to channel 318 it says I am not subscribed. Watched episode 1 last night. It is pretty dark.

Reactions: bookworm370
Yes I do get a screen like that where it says it is free. I can go up to episode 9 and it shows that is free as well. hen I go to channel 318 it says I am not subscribed. Watched episode 1 last night. It is pretty dark.
Well, you are obviously not subscribed. Be happy that you are able to watch the On Demand programming from Showtime. You may want to watch all of the Rust episodes quickly because that unexpected perk could go away at any time.

I'd catch them all while you can, just download and watch them before the free preview ends. And in case you want to know, the last episode 9 is the darkest of them all.

So this discussion of "American Rust" piqued my curiosity enough to check it out.Plus as a relatively new H owner I hadn't really checked out the PPV(I stopped checking it out on my 622 years ago).
I watched ep 1 but I am unable to watch ep 2(or any other episodes.I can watch other episodes of Yellowstone for example(but it now appears I have a different issue.
Here are a few screenshots that show what happen when I hit "select" .On "Yellowstone" I get "Watch on demand".On "American Rust" I get "Close". Any ideas?

Attachments

• rust1.jpg
    rust1.jpg
    254.8 KB · Views: 154
  • rust2.jpg
    rust2.jpg
    199.4 KB · Views: 164
  • yellowstone1.jpg
    yellowstone1.jpg
    206.3 KB · Views: 161
So this discussion of "American Rust" piqued my curiosity enough to check it out.Plus as a relatively new H owner I hadn't really checked out the PPV(I stopped checking it out on my 622 years ago).
I watched ep 1 but I am unable to watch ep 2(or any other episodes.I can watch other episodes of Yellowstone for example(but it now appears I have a different issue.
Here are a few screenshots that show what happen when I hit "select" .On "Yellowstone" I get "Watch on demand".On "American Rust" I get "Close". Any ideas?
Hey there, tanman. We definitely understand how frustrating this kind of situation can be. The show may be offered by a channel that is not part of your subscription. While we are unable to access your account securely to look into this further, our social media team would be happy to help you on Facebook. Please feel free to send us a private message by clicking the link, Messenger.

Hey there, tanman. We definitely understand how frustrating this kind of situation can be. The show may be offered by a channel that is not part of your subscription. While we are unable to access your account securely to look into this further, our social media team would be happy to help you on Facebook. Please feel free to send us a private message by clicking the link, Messenger.
The channel is not part of my subscription. My complaint is the screen shows the exact same words for the episode I can watch "free on Demand" as it does for the episodes I can't.I suspected that was the reason (no sub) but it wasn't clear.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)