Is OTA worth it?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

litig8

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 2, 2005
Southlake, Texas
I just ordered an HD-TIVO w/ and OTA. The only reason I want an OTA is to pull local channels in HD.

I live in dallas so my understanding is that we would be among the first to get HD locals broadcast through the satellite. Questions:

1. When are HD locals expected to roll out
2. Should I bag the OTA and just wait
3. Can somebody explain "waivers" and what this has to do with HD locals if anything

Thanks

litig8 said:
I just ordered an HD-TIVO w/ and OTA. The only reason I want an OTA is to pull local channels in HD.

I live in dallas so my understanding is that we would be among the first to get HD locals broadcast through the satellite. Questions:

1. When are HD locals expected to roll out
2. Should I bag the OTA and just wait
3. Can somebody explain "waivers" and what this has to do with HD locals if anything

Thanks

I'm also in the Dallas DMA. Our local NBC, CBS, and FOX are owned and operated by their respective company. ABC is owned by Belo and doesn't count in this one.

Since those are owned and operated by their respective companies we can request a waiver to get the HD distant network (NY) feeds of those stations at no charge.

Rumor has it that HD local service from D* should happen around 11/1 for Dallas.

Heck yes, get your local HD by OTA. Its free.....support your local stations & that they broadcast an HD channel. You'll also find that some stations also carry Doppler Radar etc along with other broadcasts. You will find that your PBS station has alot of different channels along with others....its all for free!

Barney

Definitely request the waivers though. I have them plus the local OTA and since the New York market gets different games I have 2 choices for NFL and some college.

If you never see OTA you'll never know how good HD can look as long as there is no multicasting. OTH, if you never see OTA then you'll think D* is just wonderful. I guess it depends on if you want to be a happy little mushroom or not.

Neutron said:
I'm also in the Dallas DMA. Our local NBC, CBS, and FOX are owned and operated by their respective company. ABC is owned by Belo and doesn't count in this one.

Since those are owned and operated by their respective companies we can request a waiver to get the HD distant network (NY) feeds of those stations at no charge.

Rumor has it that HD local service from D* should happen around 11/1 for Dallas.
Don't hold your breath on 11/1 Spaceway 2 hasn't launched yet. I believe the last date I saw for it's launch was October so even if it is perfect at launch the odds are strong that it won't be in use until 2006. :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)