Is Satellite TV Stronger With or Without Wireless? DirecTV Spurns Dish’s View That Wireless Is Sate

whitewolf8214

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
May 13, 2004
Space
I don't claim to know whether wireless will make Satellite TV stronger or not, but I do know that as the content providers keep bumping the numbers up, they bring us closer to the losing of pay tv subscribers. With the economy outside of Wall Street being pretty much in the tank, higher costs without higher pay just isn't a formula for continuing growth.

Here's a really interesting quote from the second article linked:
"One way to avoid that outcome, said White, is if pay-TV operators stand firm and black out networks as a negotiating tool to keep increases reasonable. DirecTV took Viacom Inc. (VIAB)out of its lineup for 10 days in July to avoid a large rate spike."

That seems to say what I've been saying for quite some time. Loss of channels for varying lengths of time will become more prevalent for both Sat providers imo.

In the article "Customers balked. DirecTV received more e-mails and phone calls in February and March complaining about the price of pay TV than White has seen in years, he said."

I can only imagine what amount of phone calls Dish would have received for a second increase which is much higher than Directv's 4.5% increase.

If satellite also does cellular and can get a good market hold on it, then it can bundle which helps offset the rising cost of television. If consumers start ridding of the satellite tv then they still have something to fall back on making profits elsewhere.

Here's a really interesting quote from the second article linked:
"One way to avoid that outcome, said White, is if pay-TV operators stand firm and black out networks as a negotiating tool to keep increases reasonable. DirecTV took Viacom Inc. (VIAB)out of its lineup for 10 days in July to avoid a large rate spike."
?That seems to say what I've been saying for quite some time. Loss of channels for varying lengths of time will become more prevalent for both Sat providers imo.

Lmao - exactly what Charlie has been doing for a long time.

Yes, Satellite would be stronger with a wireless tie in, in particular if they can beat the cost of the cell carriers now. That's why Dish is recommended as a "Buy" financially, and Direct TV as neutral.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)