Is splitting TV1 to another room possible with 722k?

WizeGuyDezignz

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 23, 2009
San Diego, Cali
Hey guys, I have a 722k and I am going to be getting an HDTV for the bedroom today. To take advantage of the new HDTV, I was wondering if it's possible to split the TV1 (HD) signal and wire it to the bedroom? It would be nice to get HD in the bedroom on the new TV if possible.

I understand if I do this then we won't be able to watch different programming in the living room, but if we are in bed watching TV, then we wouldn't need to watch anything different in the living room.

Is this possible, and if so, where do I make the split? Thanks!

In order tos ee HD you need to ue the HDMI or Component (red green blue) outputs. You could use one for each TV. It sounds though like you want touse coax and that won't work for either set.

Last edited:
Actually this can be done if you do t care about hd. In the modulator settings in the menu you can turn on tv1 and it will come out the home distribution/ tv2 coax port. Both tv1 and tv2 ch will then come out the same port just on diff channel. For example if tv2 was set to 60 then tv1 would default to 62 and you can watch both on any tv hooked up to the home dis port by changing the channel in the tv.

In order to see HD you need to use the HDMI or Component (red green blue) outputs. You could use one for each TV. It sounds though like you want to use coax and that won't work for either set.

And monoprice.com is a very good place to source your needed HD cables from. I was thoroughly impressed with the quality of my 25ft HDMI cord from them.

Actually this can be done if you do t care about hd. In the modulator settings in the menu you can turn on tv1 and it will come out the home distribution/ tv2 coax port. Both tv1 and tv2 ch will then come out the same port just on diff channel. For example if tv2 was set to 60 then tv1 would default to 62 and you can watch both on any tv hooked up to the home dis port by changing the channel in the tv.

Did you mean if I don't care about sd? So you are saying that I can split with coax cable to my bedroom and get hd signal in the bedroom?

I'm sorry, I'm not an expert at this so your explanation was not all understood. Thanks!

You might consider getting a 211 series and adding an external HD for a one time fee of $40 might be an option for the bedroom. That would give you hdtv independent of your 722.

Thanks for the suggestion. Where would I get this?

You would need to have the 722 installed by Dish since it needs it's own dedicated cable. You could have the home distribution from the 722 to the antenna input of the bedroom TV and hdmi from the 211 to the bedroom tv. Then you have the option of watching true hd from the 211 or sd from the 722k.

I'm sure Zach can take care of you. He's done me good in the past.

WizeGuyDezignz said:
Did you mean if I don't care about sd? So you are saying that I can split with coax cable to my bedroom and get hd signal in the bedroom?

I'm sorry, I'm not an expert at this so your explanation was not all understood. Thanks!

No no no. U cannot use coax to send an hd signal to a second tv. Take ur time to read all the posts carefully.

Ross

Sent from my DROIDX using SatelliteGuys

Wow, so half of you half know what is going on? If I understand the question correctly you want to have HD to both tvs and don't mind if they show the same thing.
Options:
1. Use both the HDMI and component outputs from the receiver. Depending on the distance to your bedroom this could cost between $20-200.
2. Get a 211k receiver (possible free upgrade with 24 month commitment, or around $100 purchased) and an external hard drive (externally powered and 50Gb-1Tb, no one-time fee). Other costs would be $7/month receiver fee.
3. Settle for SD connection to the bedroom, which I assume is probably what you already have, and be less satisfied about the whole ordeal. :(
4. Does anybody know if the Sling Extender is out yet and/or will be released?
5. Wait for the XiP 813...but who knows how long that will be.

The extender might be out mid August.

Don't mess with the coax.

You can run the component cables, and a red & white, from one TV to the other, for both video and audio. Lotta cables.

You can use an HDMI splitter at the Dish receiver output, and send both audio and video via the one cable to the second TV.

You could possibly use Sling boxes, but I won't go into that here.

The Sling Extender is probably just what you want, if you're willing to wait another month. It's been delayed to ensure it also works with the ViP722 series. Since that series is not Sling loaded, I wonder if a Sling Adapter is expected? You should get a Sling adapter now anyway, since they're in effect free.

Last edited:
Wow, so half of you half know what is going on? If I understand the question correctly you want to have HD to both tvs and don't mind if they show the same thing.
Options:
1. Use both the HDMI and component outputs from the receiver. Depending on the distance to your bedroom this could cost between $20-200.
2. Get a 211k receiver (possible free upgrade with 24 month commitment, or around $100 purchased) and an external hard drive (externally powered and 50Gb-1Tb, no one-time fee). Other costs would be $7/month receiver fee.
3. Settle for SD connection to the bedroom, which I assume is probably what you already have, and be less satisfied about the whole ordeal. :(
4. Does anybody know if the Sling Extender is out yet and/or will be released?
5. Wait for the XiP 813...but who knows how long that will be.

Hmm, option one sounds very intriguing since my bedroom isn't very far from my living room at all. Monoprice has 50 or 100ft. (I would have to measure) of component cables with the red and whites attached for around $30.

So are you saying if I got these cables, I simply run it from my 722k into my bedroom TV and I'm set?

It all depends on what type of sound quality you are looking for. With component and red/white audio all you will get is stereo. AFAIK, if you want surround sound you will need hdmi.

It's possible to to get surround by using either optical or use a convertor to go from the optical to coax digital (not the RF TV ch coax). Then the coax digital (or optical) to the input of the audio surround w/the component video to the surround sound amp or receiver.

It's possible to to get surround by using either optical or use a convertor to go from the optical to coax digital (not the RF TV ch coax). Then the coax digital (or optical) to the input of the audio surround w/the component video to the surround sound amp or receiver.

Forgot about the optical out. And it depends on if he's going through an AVR or directly to the TV.

Hey guys, I just realized an important question in all of this. If I do the component cable run, which is what I think I will do, how do I change channels since TV2 remote can't control tuner 1 right? Please let me know of my options, thanks!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts