Is summer time the best time for tv now?

Teehar

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Sep 29, 2010
WNC
By the middle of July I will have more active timers than any other time of the year.Several new and returning shows are premiering soon.

Falling Skies (TNT)
The Last Ship (TNT)
The Bridge (FX)
Rectify (Sun)
Under the Dome (CBS)
Extant (CBS)
Dominion (SyFy)
Crossbones (NBC)
Hemlock Grove (Netflix)
The Leftovers (HBO)
The Strain (FX)
True Blood (HBO)

I'm starting to prefer 10 to 15 episode series.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Reactions: TNGTony
With all the foreign programming I watch, I actually prefer the 10-13 episode seasons. No lull in the storyline and no filler episodes. The US is finally getting the idea, with some good year round programming with the short run summer series. The long lull with repeats has killed many a good show in the US.

Reactions: Teehar
I haven´t found a summer show that I´ve liked so far. With some just the trailer shows me that´s not the theme for me.
Having said that, I will try Extant this summer.

I don't know about 'best time' but I am glad there is more original programming on in the summer. I watch almost half the list in the first post.

I expect short seasons to become the norm for the rest of the year as well. It has to be cheaper to produce.

10-15 episode blocks a couple times a year are good. I just do not like 10 episodes a year.

For me it depends on the show. I think 10 focused episodes of Game of Thrones works perfectly. Like OSU said this removes a lot of the filler and makes them focus on the important stuff. Other shows work fine with more episodes.

Cable & Premium shows I like at least 12-13 eps with network shows running 22-28 eps a season.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

For me it depends on the show. I think 10 focused episodes of Game of Thrones works perfectly. Like OSU said this removes a lot of the filler and makes them focus on the important stuff. Other shows work fine with more episodes.

I just finished watching the Once Upon a Time season. They essentially had 2 story arcs, splitting the season. I liked it since it kept a fast pace through each arc. If they had stretched either story out to 22 episodes they probably would not have been as good.

Perhaps I should have worded the thread title differently.No summertime might not be the must see tv like fall is,but imho,it's way better than it used to be.At least I'm getting my sci fi fix.

Perhaps I should have worded the thread title differently.No summertime might not be the must see tv like fall is,but imho,it's way better than it used to be.At least I'm getting my sci fi fix.

They do seem to put out different and "riskier" programming than in the regular season. The regular season seems to be mostly just comedies and crime shows...

Reactions: TNGTony
Not here. I do like Major Crimes, but it is pale in comparison to The Closer...and many of my favorites summertime series don't last or are one and done. However, summertime programming is leaps and bounds ahead of where it was 5-10 years ago IMO.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)