Is TCM finally in HD?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

KKlare

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 18, 2003
Los Alamos, NM
TCM has been in unconverted SD for a long time, not bad, but. It now looks like HD on some movies.
Then I will have to re-record a lot of movies, over 900, whenever they are shown.

Looks like this is old news and depends on what is in the TCM vault.
It just hasn't been on Dish--that I can tell. Some other providers have had HD since 2009.
For an good article see whatsonhdtv.blogspot.com/2009/12/tcm-hd-arrives.html
Hope it is for real now. -Ken

TCM started airing SOME true HD titles in mid November, starting with Patton on Veteran's Day.

Reactions: dfergie
TCM has had an HD channel for a long time, but the movies it shows have NOT been in HD, until November 11, 2014. Since then there have been SOME movies shown in HD. Most movies on TCM HD are up-converted. It looks better than the SD counterpart, but up until November 2014 there has been ZERO true HD content on TCM HD.

Last edited:
Reactions: Juan
Most of the movies even when airing on TCM HD, are not really in HD. But anyway, IMO that´s the price of watching some real classics.

Most of the movies even when airing on TCM HD, are not really in HD. But anyway, IMO that´s the price of watching some real classics.
You don't have to pay that price! Just rent one of the many classic movies that have been released on Blu-Ray lately such as "Mr. Smith Goes to Washington" and see how good a 70 year old movie can look.

You don't have to pay that price! Just rent one of the many classic movies that have been released on Blu-Ray lately such as "Mr. Smith Goes to Washington" and see how good a 70 year old movie can look.
Yep, I just bought the 50th Anniversary Bluray of To Kill A Mockingbird. Not only does it look great, it's still a great movie! :)

Even those movies from the 1930s look pretty decent on TCM (even SD). Tonight they´re showing "You Cant´Take it With You" 1938 w James Stewart and Jean Arthur, that is a real funny movie, and after that one they´re showing the one mentioned above. "Mr Smith Goes To Hollywood" 1939 also with Jimmy Stewart and Jean Arthur :D

Hard to "rent" such as those, these days, unless you pay extra for Netflix DVD and wait forever.

I was pretty pleased with the quality before this supposed jump to HD in November. The upconverted films looked great.

Reactions: Shooter33

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)