Is the 811 noisy like the 6000 8VSB?

markusian

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 7, 2003
Not sure if this question has been answered already. But did anybody actually listen to the 811 noise?

Lets face it, the 811 really doesn't offer much more in the way of features over the 6000.

Sure we are all hoping it tunes OTA signals better, or the guide is much quicker, or the "aquiring sat" bug is history. But none of us knows for sure and still we'd likely just accept them after a few gripes if they weren't fixed.

But that fan! That damned fan! Anything to see that damn fan die!

My reasons for upgrading from the 6000 (in no particular order):
1) less fan noise (hopefully!)
2) better lock on the one local station I have problems with (hopefully!)
3) both SD and HD outputs active at once
4) discrete remote codes for power on, power off (hopefully!)
5) quicker guide (hopefully!)
6) less lockups/reboots/acquiring satellite problems (hopefully!)

If it comes through on at least 3 of these issues I'll be happy.

Mustang66 said:
My reasons for upgrading from the 6000 (in no particular order):
1) less fan noise (hopefully!)
2) better lock on the one local station I have problems with (hopefully!)
3) both SD and HD outputs active at once
4) discrete remote codes for power on, power off (hopefully!)
5) quicker guide (hopefully!)
6) less lockups/reboots/acquiring satellite problems (hopefully!)

If it comes through on at least 3 of these issues I'll be happy.

How about adding:
7- PIP window on the guide so yo don't loose audio/video when you're checking what's on (supposed to look like 301)
8- Dish Interactive (OK, not a biggie but nice to have)
9- Hopefully more memory so that future enhancement will be available vs. the maxed out 6K
10 - DishPro compatible so if/when you need Superdish you don't need to also get a legacy adapter

Add the 200 foot remote control range and the DVI-D output

Here is the answer from a different thread:

Stacy A said:
Okay, here is what i know so far. Fan noise is pretty much non-existent. The box seems to put out a little more heat than other receivers I've known, so you guys probably want to make sure you keep it on top of other components or by itself. The picture quality is great on the Samsung DLP. Love the menu guide as its just like Scott said, openTV software with the TV picture in the guide. Very responsive to keys on the remote, but then again anything is more responsive than my 6000. Don't know about the stretch modes as I haven't played with it any. However there are two interesting things: 1) the remote has DVR buttons on it, and 2) apparently the optical out is not working as it only makes a staticy popping sound, and yes, we set everything up in the menu. There is no coaxial out, but we knew that. The installer said they may have to trade out the unit. Haven't checked out OTA yet and probably won't as my father-in-law has a Zenith OTA STB that is fantastic. He didn't connect the antenna to the 8vsb input and he hasn't even hooked up the S-video cable. He's using the box striclty for HD content. He has a 508 for all else. I'm still unable to post the pics. I'll try to play around with it some tonight and see if I can get you some more information for tommorow. By the way, I am a guy- 39 year old redneck actually.

Stacy

My 6000 is in the living room and my 501 is in the family room, if I stand in the kitchen (right between the 2), I get stereo whining from the 6000 fan and the 501 hard drive, it's awful!!!!!! Luckily, I like to play movies in my HT LOUD so it drowns out the 6000 noise.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts