Is the 921 bug fixed?

Ray S

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 7, 2003
Central NJ
It was reported on Tuesday, Dec 16, that a software bug was isolated. Has it been removed and has testing begun to makes sure the remaining software is not compomised? Will it be shiped to the retailers before Christmas or are we looking to January 2004?

Last I heard, not yet. This is one that's not an easy fix, ala change 3 lines of code and it now works. It's more involved than that.

AS of this am, the software version has not changed!!
http://www.dishnetwork.com/content/customerCare/technical/software_versions/index.asp

markdl said:
Last I heard, not yet. This is one that's not an easy fix, ala change 3 lines of code and it now works. It's more involved than that.

Based upon previous comments, it sounded like the fix was well on it's way. If this bug is a serious as it sounded, it looks like the 921 will not be released in time for Christmas. Dish may just have to bite the bullet, release the 921, and hope this bug (whatever it is) can be tolerated until the fix is out. Mark, it sounds like your 921 is very functional even with the bug.

I do not think it has been fixed yet. The software version has not changed yet:
http://www.dishnetwork.com/content/customerCare/technical/software_versions/index.asp
From what I hear, the 921s are in the warehouse but can not be released. I assume this is until the bug is fixed.
FREAK!

I really don't understand why they have not been released yet, this bug only effects the off air reception on the 921 and not the satellite operation.

I could live a few days without the off air digitals working correctly.

Scott, I think you've gotten way to close to E*.

You're actually saying to go ahead and release the 921 even though there's a major bug?? So, it only effects OTA reception -- big deal! It's still a major bug.

Of course, other people would probably say the same thing so I begin to wonder if their receivers are programmed to transmit subliminal messages stating "mediocrity is ok".

But by the time you get the unit in your hands it should be fixed. (hopefully)

To be honest with you I dont at this time plan on recording much if any HD.

I just want a DVR on my HD set. However I do like watching HD shows and stuff when I am sitting in front of the TV.

While I am flipping through the dial I may stop on Discovery Channels Insectia, or Wierd Homes, or maybe one of the Hawaiian Tropic Bikini shows, but those are not something I would set to record.

Scott Greczkowski said:
But by the time you get the unit in your hands it should be fixed. (hopefully)

At least you still understand who you're dealing with ... including "should" and "hopefully" is smart. Heh :)

Scott Greczkowski said:
I really don't understand why they have not been released yet, this bug only effects the off air reception on the 921 and not the satellite operation.

I could live a few days without the off air digitals working correctly.

Unfortunately, the BUG is a little more serious than that. If it was the same kind of thing plaguing the 811 right now, then the 921 would probably have already hit the streets. But it's not (even though it looks like it on the surface). And that's really all I can say at the moment.

Although I'm really want to use the 921, I would rather they get the OTA thing fixed. I'm buying it to record mainly OTA HD. I'm really looking forward to watching the CSI in HD. I'm like you scott, there isn't much HD I'll be recording off the satellite. That will change when/if the scifi ED station ever gets going.

Delays in the release certainly suck, but products should not be released with significant bugs, period. The costs to both customers and the supporting company are significantly higher to resolve the problem.

One online retailer (VSSL Communications) is reporting they've heard they will get stock on Monday.

Not that I'm interested in doing business with them. They're not taking credit cards and I don't trust anyone enough to just send them cash.

Just curious..

Are units actually being shipped to distributors while this bug is being fixed? Then, the unit updates itself immediately when installed?

Hey, as many times as we on the net have collectively whined about Dish releasing stuff with bugs, I sure can't blame them for holding back a few more days. Now, it would have been even better if it was done months before now and I'm sure E* feels the same way, seeing as how they missed the Christmas shopping season, but I'm glad they are fixing this first.

Scott Greczkowski said:
I really don't understand why they have not been released yet, this bug only effects the off air reception on the 921 and not the satellite operation. I could live a few days without the off air digitals working correctly.

If this were the case, I would say, "Release it!". I can't receive any OTA where I live, analog or digital.

--- WCS