Is the DirectV Plus Receiver compatible with a The Triple LNB dish ?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Ericmorin

Original poster
Apr 23, 2008
Hello all,

Question:

I've had for the longest time (2) standard old fashion DirecTV receivers and a Sony round dish with dual LNB. Now I just purchased a DirecTV Plus receiver which of course requires (2) inputs to get the maximum performance out of the receiver, and am keeping one of my older receivers active. If I remove my present dual LNB dish and replace it with a triple LNB dish, thus acquiring an extra input for my new receiver, will that be a compatible switch i.e. will I be getting (3) separate satellite signal inputs into the house just like that? Or is it not that simple? Will I be pointing the dish in the same direction? If this is not the way to go, any suggestions?

Any feedback on this would be greatly appreciated!!

Eric Morin

The new behemoth dishes have four outputs, so you should be good to go with up to four tuners.

DIRECTV will schedule an free installation for the asking.

All, there is no company called "behemoth" making DirecTV dishes, nor is there any model called the "behemoth", so the repetitive cross-ref to this word is simply childish and asinine to say the least AND provides ABSOLUTELY ZERO help to the OP or other users.

You might as well get the 5-LNB dish instead of getting the 3-LNB dish that will just have to be replaced shortly anyway.

Hello all,

Question:

I've had for the longest time (2) standard old fashion DirecTV receivers and a Sony round dish with dual LNB. Now I just purchased a DirecTV Plus receiver which of course requires (2) inputs to get the maximum performance out of the receiver, and am keeping one of my older receivers active. If I remove my present dual LNB dish and replace it with a triple LNB dish, thus acquiring an extra input for my new receiver, will that be a compatible switch i.e. will I be getting (3) separate satellite signal inputs into the house just like that? Or is it not that simple? Will I be pointing the dish in the same direction? If this is not the way to go, any suggestions?

Eric Morin

It's actually easier than replacing the dish. You will need a 3x4 multiswitch, which will turn your 2 lines into 4 outputs. I'm sure one of the site sponsors sell them and would be alot easier than replacing the dish.

Great point Scottie; buy once smart as opposed to twice. OP save yourself the time and headaches of multi-installs and possibly missing some channels down the road and just get the current 5 LNB model up front. All you will need to do later is add new MPEG4 receivers.

Hello all,

Question:

Eric Morin

Is the new receiver a SD or HD model?

If it is only the SD version then you would not need to get a new dish. You can puchase this multiswitch and it will allow you to have up to 4 tuners with the dual LNB dish.

Perfect Vision PVMS4EP 3x4 Satellite MultiSwitch (PVMS4EP) | PVMS4EP [Perfect Vision] | pvms-4ep PVms4ep multiswitch satellite 3x4 perfect vision 3x4 multiplexer dtv34 dtv3x4 dtv 3x4

or this one

Eagle Aspen / Pro Brand DTV3X4 DIRECTV Approved 3x4 Multiswitch (DTV3X4) | DTV3X4 [Eagle Aspen] | multiplexer dtv34 dtv3x4 dtv 34 dtv 3x4 3 x 4 directv approved 3x4

Great point Scottie; buy once smart as opposed to twice. OP save yourself the time and headaches of multi-instals and just get the current 5 LNB model up front.

Will Directv install the 5 LNB dish if he does not have a HD receiver?

I have seen it done; is there a policy against it? But your guess would be as good as mine on what "normally" will happen.

Thank you all for your help!

The receiver is a SD model so I'll just go ahead and get a multiswitch...

That will do for now. Once I upgrade to HD (in a year or so) I'll start from scratch...new TV, new dish, new receiver...

Regards,

Eric Morin

hey everyone im a tech saying its pretty standard to install the 5 lnb dish as its the future for dtv so some ones qoute is wrong

hey everyone im a tech saying its pretty standard to install the 5 lnb dish as its the future for dtv so some ones qoute is wrong

I for one have NEVER installed a 5 lnb dish on a job without HD receivers. While most people that visit forums will eventually move to HD, there's still millions of people out there that never will. At least not while D* still carries sd channels. It would be the height of stupidity to put a slimline on every install. Think of all the older customers that watch nothing but local channels and FOX news.

Who was wrong? Nobody stated that they won't install a 5 LNB dish for a SD only customer. There was just a question asked about it.

if its on the work order i install it and besides that dtv sells it to the customer so its just standared for us to install them in springfield mo and surounding areas

I just had a slimline installed with 3 LNB, installer said they are installing all HD setup's even for SD. I have SD and locals. But I really know nothing about DirectV.

If its a SlimLine it only appears to be a 3 LNB housing, but it in fact is a 5 orbital slot view. 99, 101, 103, 110, and 119 (rounded to nearest whole number)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts