Is the SL3 lnb toast?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

webdog

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Sep 20, 2008
Northern Cal.
I recently had DTV installed at my house with the single coax SWiM setup. 3 lnb in one enclosure, one line out. All is working well here.

The problem I'm running into is installing a SL3 dish at my mother in law's place. We spend a lot of time there and I want to be able to see the NFL ticket at her place on Sunday when we're there.

The problem is this: I installed the SL3 dish, got 101 dialed in and then I couldn't get anything on 99 or 103. I played with both the skew, elevation, and took it left and right a bit to try and get any signal I could. Nothing worked on 99 / 103.

My receiver I'm trying to use with it is the HR21-700 (HD-DVR model).

The first think you'll ask, is the pole plumb. Yes, I checked it several times. It's dialed in. :D

I used an older Birdog to dial in the 101 sat and then used the HR21-700 to try and help me bring in 99 / 103. I even tried wiring it up right at the dish with a smaller TV. I never got a blip on the signal meter for 99 / 103 on the HR21. I went through system setup on the HR21 box and set it up with I believe # 3, SL3 and multiswitch. I made sure and did NOT select the SWiM option.

Anyhow, I'm thinking the LNB is toast. The one I'm using now at her place is a WNC model (pictured below). I bought the dish off someone local on Craigslist.

2mwvh2.jpg

I recently ordered the Eagle Aspen 3lnb model (pictured below) and will use that instead and hope for better results.

123xrvd.jpg

Since the dish may have been used before, I'm thinking maybe someone that didn't know what they were doing hooked it up to a higher powered SWiM system and possibly fried 99 & 103. Either that or they may have been defective.

Has anyone else ran into this before?

Oh ok. So the BBC's are required even for the HR21's?

Thanks. I tried to research the BBC's and didn't have a lot of luck. It looked like only the HR20's needed those. I appreciate your insight and I'll look into getting the BBC's.

Oh well, now I have a spare LNB coming in the mail.

Thanks JD, I'm nailing 101 and get absolutely nothing on 99 / 103. I'm pretty new to DTV and I think what DaveDirect is saying is my problem, since I'm not even getting a blip on the HR21's signal meter for 99 / 103.

With non-SWM setups, the only HR series DVR that doesn't need BBCs is the HR23.
I missed the BBC reference as I was replying at the same time (albeit slower:))

Cool, the BBC's are cheap enough. I appreciate everyone's knowledge to help me troubleshoot this and figure out the issue.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)