Is the VIP622 18 month lease agreement negotiable?

dlsnyder said:
I would really like to get a 622 now, but I will be moving half-way across the country in less than 18 months. Any idea about how generous they might be if I am 12-13 months into an 18 month commitment? Just in case, how much would the ETF be with 5 months remaining on the contract?
If you quit before the commitment is over, you pay something like $13.50 for each month remaining. SO if you canceled with 5 months left, you would have to pay a one time payment of $67.50.

DWS44 said:
How much you wanna bet you have one on your file now and they just didnt bother to tell ya?

Yea but is it really inforcable if they never said anything to me about it and I never signed anything. I got the 622 through one of the CSRs at the Ceo-Exec offices.

Last Summer when I got the 942, I was never actually told it was a lease. Again, I got it through Ceo-Exec Office (as a result of one of my tantrums). They sent it out, I installed it and cancelled the scheduled install and never signed anything. There was never anything on my bill about a lease or commitment time. The only thing that ever happened was $250 was posted on my statment as a "one time charge".

teachsac said:
"Anyone upgrading to an MPEG 4 receiver on or after 2/1/06 is required to upgrade their HD package to one of the new HD bundled packages at the time of the upgrade. The programming will become active on the account and billing statement upon activation of the MPEG 4 receiver. "

Guess someone should explain that policy to all the CSRs. I was put on hold today while the CSR verified with a "senior CSR" that, indeed, I could get a new 622 without committing to 18 months of an HD metallic package.

It struck me as unusual that they'd let me have their flagship HD receiver/PVR without committing to HD programming. I'm sure they'd have happily signed me up under this premise and later informed me of the requirement.

Thanks for the info

waltinvt said:
Yea but is it really inforcable if they never said anything to me about it and I never signed anything. I got the 622 through one of the CSRs at the Ceo-Exec offices.

You never signed anything when the installer came to your house and activated the 622? That's usually a mandatory action.

Even if they didn't say anything about a commitment, that doesn't mean a thing. If you did sign a document for your installer, certifying your installation, then it is likely that the lease commitment was attached to it.

I know the 942 lease upgrades that were arranged through the Dish CEO office had the standard 12 month commitment.

If you are wondering about it, you could call a CSR and ask them if your account has any commitment attached to it. You could ask that if you terminated your 622, would there be any financial obligation on your part.

Tom Bombadil said:
You never signed anything when the installer came to your house and activated the 622? That's usually a mandatory action.

Even if they didn't say anything about a commitment, that doesn't mean a thing. If you did sign a document for your installer, certifying your installation, then it is likely that the lease commitment was attached to it.

I know the 942 lease upgrades that were arranged through the Dish CEO office had the standard 12 month commitment.

If you are wondering about it, you could call a CSR and ask them if your account has any commitment attached to it. You could ask that if you terminated your 622, would there be any financial obligation on your part.

I'll have to check to see if my wife signed anything (I was up in my office part of the time he was here). As for the 942, I know I didn't sign anything as I installed and activated it myself and cancelled the scheduled install.

It would be highly unusual for an installer to come to your house, perform an activation, and not get a signature verifying that they had been there. Usually you have to sign or initial in two or three places. I believe that's how they verify that they came and did the install, in order to get their credit.

All of that aside, Dish should have a notation on your customer record if there is a commitment and it should be easy to check it with a call to a CSR.

I know it is different for new customers but i just signed up for Dish with the 622 lease ($299) and i did not have to commit to any time -- to get the no commitment option i just had to pay the $50 activation fee that is usually waived.

I only did it because i'm moving to hawaii in a few months and may have to cancel outright. but i needed an hd-dvr solution in the meantime because my comcast is totally screwed and none of their techs can figure out how to fix it.

FYI, there is no stipulation on the 921/942 -> 622 "Dish'n It Up" lease upgrade stating that you have to have a "metal" package. You can lease the 622 without having a "metal" package; however, you will be charged the $6.00/mo "HD Enabling Fee". Please reference the following from one of my earlier posts:

"$6.00 per month HD enabling fee if the customer does not subscribe to DishHD Bronze or higher"

"A minimum of DishFAMILY America's Top 60, DishLATINO, or Great Wall TV (HD packages also qualify) required for all offers"

"Make sure to select DishHD programming or $6 per month HD Enabling Fee and this will ensure that the customer gets the correct dish to view their programming"

Had my 622 installed March 29th and so far I do not have anything in writing that outlines the minimum programming package or 18 month committment. This was mentioned in a phone conversation with the Dish Tech when I asked for the upgrade, but so far nothing in writing. The installation documents mentioned the work completed, but again nothing concerning service committments.

Can a verbal agreement like this be considered valid in California? I don't have any plans to violate the agreement, but now I am curious how Dish considers this a valid contract.

Dish_Watcher

So it is your position that one would only be obligated to pay for AT60 plus the HD Enabling fee as a minimum on a 622?

If someone subbed to AT60 + locals, would they get their HD locals, without a metal pack?

I guess there could be a few people out there who would want only AT60 plus their OTA locals, and could pick up a 622 for that purpose.

Tom Bombadil said:
Dish_Watcher

So it is your position that one would only be obligated to pay for AT60 plus the HD Enabling fee as a minimum on a 622?

If someone subbed to AT60 + locals, would they get their HD locals, without a metal pack?

I guess there could be a few people out there who would want only AT60 plus their OTA locals, and could pick up a 622 for that purpose.

Tom:
This is correct. A customer could subscribe to just the AT60, their locals, and the $6.00 HD Enabling fee. This setup would still qualify under the 622 DISH'n It Up program. No metal pack is required for the promo or to get the local channels.

I lease a VIP 622 in February. If I decide to drop Dish, will I be charge anything (18 month agreement)?

alexgmny said:
I lease a VIP 622 in February. If I decide to drop Dish, will I be charge anything (18 month agreement)?
Yes - In your case essentially 16 months (the remainder of your contract) times the minimum service charge of $13.33/mo., plus you need to return the 622 and possibly other equipment that was installed as part of your upgrade. At least this is how it works for other cancellations as posted in these threads. Others, plz correct my numbers it they're wrong...

Last edited:
When I received my Vip211 in the mail, there was a sheet inside that stated the 18 month lease agreement and said that by calling and activating the receiver, I was agreeing to the 18 month commitment. Check your box! NO signature necessary.

Scott Greczkowski said:
If you would rather trade in your 921/942 for a 622 and OWN your 622 instead of leasing it then I would wait...

Check the announcement in the main Dish Network forum for more information. :)

Scott,
I'm not sure what you mean. Could you post link to this announcement ?

Thanks

I believe bhelms has it correct. If someone returned a leased 622 after two months they would owe Dish $213 plus the 622 plus the LNBs and switches if their satellite dish(s) were upgraded as part of the package. And you would not receive any of your $299 upfront payment as a refund.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)