Is the VIP622 18 month lease agreement negotiable?

jcord51

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Nov 29, 2003
:) Planning on trading my 921 in for the VIP 622 and was wondering if the 18 month lease agreement could be made for less time. I have a 942 which I leased for 12 months last year, why the 18 months? What did you encounter when you got yours?

Nothing is negotiable with Dish Network (or DirecTv) unless your talking to the win back department. Its a take it or leave it type of situation.

jcord51 said:
:) Planning on trading my 921 in for the VIP 622 and was wondering if the 18 month lease agreement could be made for less time. I have a 942 which I leased for 12 months last year, why the 18 months? What did you encounter when you got yours?

Nothing was said about ANY time commitment when I leased my 622. In fact I haven't had any time commitment since I first got Dish back in '97.

waltinvt said:
Nothing was said about ANY time commitment when I leased my 622. In fact I haven't had any time commitment since I first got Dish back in '97.

How much you wanna bet you have one on your file now and they just didnt bother to tell ya?

Morning,

This is a direct quote from my source at Dish. I raised this and other questions based on some of the posts seen around the site.

There is an 18 month commitment in which the customer must keep the receiver active and subscribe to a minimum of one of our basic programming packages such as the Americas Top 60 or Dish Latino, etc.

Anyone upgrading to an MPEG 4 receiver on or after 2/1/06 is required to upgrade their HD package to one of the new HD bundled packages at the time of the upgrade. The programming will become active on the account and billing statement upon activation of the MPEG 4 receiver.

Customers that subscribe to their locals through Dish Network will not be charged anything additional for HD locals provided by Dish Network if available in their area.

Customers who have an MPEG 4 receiver and elect not to subscribe to HD programming will receive a $6.00 per month HD enabling fee charge on their monthly statement.

Scott

RobertsD said:
WHat are you talking about?

Everything we have said in this thread is correct, as is what teachsac posted regardiing what Dish said.

Thank you. My source is an actual executive (not just the Resolution Team).

Scott posted the memo from Dish and I expanded on it in the memo thread with answers to questions that have been asked on this forum.

teachsac said:
Customers who have an MPEG 4 receiver and elect not to subscribe to HD programming will receive a $6.00 per month HD enabling fee charge on their monthly statement. [/B]

Scott

But I bought my 622 and I have the HD Stand alone pack (no metal package) and I am still charged the $6.00 per month HD enabling fee. Perhaps I am incorrect. It could be an activation fee since I don't have a base pack. Are those two separate things?

ChetK said:
But I bought my 622 and I have the HD Stand alone pack (no metal package) and I am still charged the $6.00 per month HD enabling fee. Perhaps I am incorrect. It could be an activation fee since I don't have a base pack. Are those two separate things?
IF you just subscribe the the HDonly pack, you are charged the HD enabling fee.

ChetK said:

Correct. Only owners of equipment are allowed to subscribe to only the HD pack. You are then charged the $6 HD enabling fee for not having the minimum pack. You should also be charged the DVR fee.

If you lease your equipment, you are required to sub to the minimum metalic pack (bronze) for 18 months. They are not negotiating this.

jcord51 said:

Jcord51,

Yes, but the options list is a very short one, 1) Take it, or 2) Leave it. ;>)

John

Purchase?

So I can purchase for $299 and not get a fee each month with no restrictions on programming. I can also return my 921 to Costco for a full refund or send it in to Dish after April 1st for a $200 rebate. If I choose to send it in to Dish, my account turns into a leased box with an 18 month agreement and a monthly lease charge? I think I may be confused... I know, all of these posts seem redundant...:rolleyes:

DiabloLOCO

DiabloLOCO said:
So I can purchase for $299 and not get a fee each month with no restrictions on programming. I can also return my 921 to Costco for a full refund or send it in to Dish after April 1st for a $200 rebate. If I choose to send it in to Dish, my account turns into a leased box with an 18 month agreement and a monthly lease charge? I think I may be confused... I know, all of these posts seem redundant...:rolleyes:

DiabloLOCO

No, you can purchase the 622 for 649-699 depending on from whom you get it. You will then have no programming commitment. But you could be charged the HD enabling fee and DVR fee depending on which programming you subscribe to.

The $299 is a lease option any way you look at it. You could lease it for $299 and get $200 credited to your account from Dish.

or

You could lease it for $299 and return the 921 to Costco with their liberal return policy (if they give more than $200 back).

Still an 18 month commitment with minimum programming of Bronze or better.

teachsac said:
No, you can purchase the 622 for 649-699 depending on from whom you get it. You will then have no programming commitment. But you could be charged the HD enabling fee and DVR fee depending on which programming you subscribe to.

The $299 is a lease option any way you look at it. You could lease it for $299 and get $200 credited to your account from Dish.

or

You could lease it for $299 and return the 921 to Costco with their liberal return policy (if they give more than $200 back).

Still an 18 month commitment with minimum programming of Bronze or better.
Thanks for clearing that up. I am going to check with Costco today. I should get at least $400 back from Cosco.

If you would rather trade in your 921/942 for a 622 and OWN your 622 instead of leasing it then I would wait...

Check the announcement in the main Dish Network forum for more information. :)

I would really like to get a 622 now, but I will be moving half-way across the country in less than 18 months. Any idea about how generous they might be if I am 12-13 months into an 18 month commitment? Just in case, how much would the ETF be with 5 months remaining on the contract?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)