Is the Voom coax HDTV?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

aychamo

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jun 3, 2004
Hey guys;

The Voom box, it has many outputs. I ask about the coax outlet that the Voom box has.

In my parents house, they have a system installed that takes a coax input and can modulate it throughout the house.

Their Voom box is hooked via component cables into their projector and LCD. They also have the coax-output of the Voom box hooked up to their house-video distribution system that sends the video throughout the house.

My two questions:

1. Is the output of the coax-cable considered HDTV?

2. Is the output of the coax-cable, if not HDTV, will it be widescreen (if a widescrene program is being viewed)?

Thank you!

You will only be able to watch one channel no matter which TV you are on.

That coax out that you speak of is sent at 480P. I send mine to 3 additional TV's. One of them is 17" LG LCD and the picture looks good, but 17" is pretty small. Another is a Proscan 27", and the picture is good--not HD, but good. The thirs TV is a 53" rear projection Proscan (non-hd), and that one doesn't look very good, but it's 15 years old.

Everything I've read says that the STB sends out a 480P signal through the coax. I run that to a splitter, and then run lines to each of the other TV's. I'm not sure HOW it all works, but I get reception on all the TV's.

I bought the little LG before I knew what kind of signal came out of the STB, so I kinda screwed up. But I'm thinking that when the new PVR comes out, I still have the original STB to use as a secondary receiver, and then I'll hook that up to the little LG.

The other option would be to spend some more money by replacing the big rear projection TV with a projector. The room downstairs is perfect for a theater room. That's one reason why I like reading your posts!! To me, you and Mr. Biggles are the leading authority on projectors.

Everything I've read says that the STB sends out a 480P signal through the coax.
Coax, s-video, and composite are all 480i-only SD outputs.

The Stone Man said:
To me, you and Mr. Biggles are the leading authority on projectors.

Well informed is close...'leading authority' is really pushing the envelope. ;)

Coax, s-video, and composite are all 480i-only SD outputs.

Ken F is dead on the money with his response. All those connections are interlaced 480 only.

voomvoom said:
How do you watch your DVD's, aren't they 480p... Isn't that why DVD looks so much better than anolog tv...
Some DVD players offer progressive scan 480p signal. But only over component connections! Composite, s-video and coax (NTSC) outputs are always 480i.

Ilya said:
Some DVD players offer progressive scan 480p signal. But only over component connections! Composite, s-video and coax (NTSC) outputs are always 480i.
Thanks Ilya... this thread is about coax and I somehow wasn't thinking...

Mr. Biggles said:
Well informed is close...'leading authority' is really pushing the envelope. ;)
Ditto, Mr. Biggles. If it weren't for AVSForums, I would be in the dark in regards to projectors, that is where I have gleaned all of my info from. ;)

I think you may be getting confused with cable TV, that can bring in HDTV signals over coax, but that's different, the cable box takes the digital signal and sends it over to your TV ont he component cables.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts