Is there a decent universal remote on the market?

Dennis Brown

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Feb 6, 2008
I purchased a Harmony One universal remote years ago. Despite numerous discussions with customer service representatives, it has never worked properly. All I'm trying to do is control a Panasonic TV, Directv DVR and a Sony Home Theater System. The remote won't turn all the components on unless I use the help function repeatedly. Even then it doesn't remember the commands. Logitech has developed an upgraded model But it gets a lot of horrible reviews. Universal, a competing manufacturer, gets equally mediocre reviews.

Has anyone purchased a universal remote that works consistently to turn on and off multiple components.

Purchased a Logitech harmony 700 a while back even got the Bluetooth adapter for the ps3 once I programmed with my computer never had a problem turns all my components on and off with no issues

All harmony remotes work the same, so a different harmony won't solve your problem. Sounds to me like HDMI-CEC overriding your remote, or bad aim, or you are still using other remotes. Other universals will have similar issues, except RF which will solve the aiming problem. So try to sort those out before you go shopping for a new remote.

One simple solution would be to add extra discrete on and off commands to your activities at the start and end. All the devices you listed have discrete power commands. Also turn off HDMI-CEC in all your devices.

I'm surprised you're having those issues with the Harmony 1. I have one that I bought a few years ago and have used it with lots of different gear. Always works great.

Currently it is one push on for Hopper, Denon AVR, Mitsi DLP TV, AppleTV(3), Sony 3D Blu-Ray player.

In the past it also controlled Harman Kardon AVR, Panasonic TV, Monoprice HDMI switch, DirecTV HRxx and most likely some gear I've forgotten about.

With your assistance I've gotten the Harmony One to turn on all of the devises correctly and consistently. Unfortunately, it will not turn them all off. Any other suggestions?

Thanks

With your assistance I've gotten the Harmony One to turn on all of the devises correctly and consistently. Unfortunately, it will not turn them all off. Any other suggestions?

Thanks

It might be the device model you are using. These are often programmed by users and there are sometimes multiple versions around. Which unit (incl model #) is giving you trouble?

Sometimes there are separate ON and OFF codes available for a unit, even if the remote only has a toggle. My Onkyo receriver is like that, as is my Panasonic plasma.

Harmony 700 here, fantastic remote. (There are two ways to program it, using a computer program and connected to the internet, or just the online version. Neither are stellar ways to get the remote programmed, but I like the online version better. Once programmed though the remote is great and has some automatic features like getting to the hidden service menu of some TV's, and sometimes better remote controls than the original as with the DARBEE.

I also have a Panasonic plasma, a Viera TC-P55ST60. Based upon the suggestion of another poster I turned the Viera Link "OFF." Can you tell me what other on and off codes there my be?

Thanks

My Harmony 880 & One are great. You may have a defective one.

Posted Using The New SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts