Is there a difference having games on Thanksgiving and Christmas?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
As far as the NFL is concerned the season did not always extend all the way to XMas. I am not sure how it hapopened but Thanksgiving has always beena day for games. In some parts of the country high school teams play that late.

I dont know about you but I thought having games on X-Mas Eve was fun. I really enjoyed it. Now as far as the NFL goes, I wouldnt schedule games on X-Mas Eve or X-Mas Day if they fell on a Tues. or Wed.
But like I mentioned before, I wouldnt mind seeing a couple of bowl games or something on X-Mas Eve. I mean you still have Christmas Day and the rest of Christmas Eve to celebrate. If any football or basketball game is scheduled for the 26th, dont teams practice on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day anyway?

Im not trying to sound like a Grinch or Scrooge but there are people who dont celebrate Christmas, or have no family, or just cant stand there relatives. They need a distraction. And not only that, but people work today and tomorrow anyway. Grocery stores, pharmacies, gas stations. I know my local Subway, McDonalds, Dunkin' Donuts was open today. Not all day but still open. I mean you play today and celebrate later today or tomorrow. Is there really a difference?

I think the NHL overreacted a bit not scheduling games today or tomorrow. I mean, no offense, but when I think America and Americana and Christmas, I think Baseball and Football. There are some canadian teams in the NHL as well as some canadians, russians etc. in the league and I dont think they celebrate Christmas. As far as the NHL goes, am I wrong?

I think the NHL overreacted a bit not scheduling games today or tomorrow. I mean, no offense, but when I think America and Americana and Christmas, I think Baseball and Football. There are some canadian teams in the NHL as well as some canadians, russians etc. in the league and I dont think they celebrate Christmas. As far as the NHL goes, am I wrong?

seriously?
seriously?

In Canada Christmas is a holiday, Christmas Eve in some provinces its a holiday and Dec 26th is Boxing Day (another national holiday). Hell some Canadians will get a 5 day holiday. Friday-Tuesday if they use the "if the holiday falls on a Sunday they take Monday off. Well with X-Mas on Sunday and Boxing Day Monday they may get Tuesday off.
Russia its a holiday too

Grocery stores, pharmacies, gas stations. I know my local Subway, McDonalds, Dunkin' Donuts was open today.
we dont have DD here but other than gas stations which most around here there are no locks on the door so they are open 24/7/365 the rest closed by 4. Subway & McDonalds were closed at 2. My stepdad owns a KFC and he is closed today and tomorrow.

I dont think NHL does games on these 2 days ever...hence the "holiday break"

I dont know about you but I thought having games on X-Mas Eve was fun. I really enjoyed it. Now as far as the NFL goes, I wouldnt schedule games on X-Mas Eve or X-Mas Day if they fell on a Tues. or Wed.
But like I mentioned before, I wouldnt mind seeing a couple of bowl games or something on X-Mas Eve. I mean you still have Christmas Day and the rest of Christmas Eve to celebrate. If any football or basketball game is scheduled for the 26th, dont teams practice on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day anyway?

Im not trying to sound like a Grinch or Scrooge but there are people who dont celebrate Christmas, or have no family, or just cant stand there relatives. They need a distraction. And not only that, but people work today and tomorrow anyway. Grocery stores, pharmacies, gas stations. I know my local Subway, McDonalds, Dunkin' Donuts was open today. Not all day but still open. I mean you play today and celebrate later today or tomorrow. Is there really a difference?

Orthodox Christians(which most Russians are) will celebrate Christmas on January 7,because they use the Julian Calendar over the Gregorian Calendar,which gives us December 25 as the date of Christmas. Canada,being part of the British Commonwealth,celebrates Christmas on December 25,& Boxer Day on December 26. As far as who's open on Christmas Day,I know that Waffle House is open on Christmas Day,but Huddle House isn't:(.

I don't mind not watching games xmas eve or Xmas day..... kids like to be with family too ya know..not to mention all the others involved with showing these games or those that have to work them etc. We as a country need to stop buying into the "Something to do" crap and celebrate the time.

:eek:

Christmas is a Christian religious holiday and celebrated in some form or another throughout any place where the Christian religion is or was in the majority (Europe, all of North and South America, Australia, New Zealand, most of sub-Saharan Africa, etc). Canada is a majority Christian country (77% followed by 18% saying "secular" as Canada is allowed to ask about religion on its Census). Most secular people in the West also celebrate Christmas in some manner or another.

As noted, the Eastern Churches (Greek, Russian, Hungarian, the Arabic Christian minority, etc) celbrate religious holiday on a different calendar, but still most Orthodox people living in the west clebrate the secular parts of Christmas on December 25th and the religious part in January. (The Mormon Church likewise does not really believe that Jesus was born in December, but celbrates the secular aspects anyway). Further Korea (which has gone from 1% to 40% Christian since the war) celebrates Christmas as a secular holiday, as does Japan.

Thanksgiving is, however, an entirely syncratic (made up) holiday. Celebrated only in the USA (Canadians have a Thanksgiving, but it falls on what we call Columbus Day, and had a different symbolism). No religious belief system in the world sets aside the last Thursday in November as "thanksgiving".

In any event the NHL union contract (at the players' (mostly Canadian) instiance) has specific detals on games, practic, and travel from December 24-26 (the 26th being Boxing Day in Canada). Games today will be among teams that are close to one another.

As to games, I really think that the live gate fan is important. Understand that an NFL game on Christmas is one-eight of a season ticket holder's total games. And many teams draw over a large area. The NBA is different. Many more games and most fans are metro area. College basketball is a once in a lifetime deal and lightly attended.

Games today will be among teams that are close to one another.
yep looks like it. Furthest travel looks like the Avs coming to play the Wild
Only 2 Canadian teams playing (Edmonton & Vancouver)

Christmas in Canada is a big deal. While in the US Thanksgiving is a day for famlies to travel to get together, Christmas is when Canadians will get back together with theirs. This is followed by Boxing Day, where the stores will be crowded for the sales, similar to the US Black Friday. Would think this is why the NHL has a lull in play.

seriously?
seriously?

In Canada Christmas is a holiday, Christmas Eve in some provinces its a holiday and Dec 26th is Boxing Day (another national holiday). Hell some Canadians will get a 5 day holiday. Friday-Tuesday if they use the "if the holiday falls on a Sunday they take Monday off. Well with X-Mas on Sunday and Boxing Day Monday they may get Tuesday off.
Russia its a holiday too

we dont have DD here but other than gas stations which most around here there are no locks on the door so they are open 24/7/365 the rest closed by 4. Subway & McDonalds were closed at 2. My stepdad owns a KFC and he is closed today and tomorrow.

I dont think NHL does games on these 2 days ever...hence the "holiday break"

Orthodox Christians(which most Russians are) will celebrate Christmas on January 7,because they use the Julian Calendar over the Gregorian Calendar,which gives us December 25 as the date of Christmas. Canada,being part of the British Commonwealth,celebrates Christmas on December 25,& Boxer Day on December 26. As far as who's open on Christmas Day,I know that Waffle House is open on Christmas Day,but Huddle House isn't:(.

:eek:

Christmas is a Christian religious holiday and celebrated in some form or another throughout any place where the Christian religion is or was in the majority (Europe, all of North and South America, Australia, New Zealand, most of sub-Saharan Africa, etc). Canada is a majority Christian country (77% followed by 18% saying "secular" as Canada is allowed to ask about religion on its Census). Most secular people in the West also celebrate Christmas in some manner or another.

As noted, the Eastern Churches (Greek, Russian, Hungarian, the Arabic Christian minority, etc) celbrate religious holiday on a different calendar, but still most Orthodox people living in the west clebrate the secular parts of Christmas on December 25th and the religious part in January. (The Mormon Church likewise does not really believe that Jesus was born in December, but celbrates the secular aspects anyway). Further Korea (which has gone from 1% to 40% Christian since the war) celebrates Christmas as a secular holiday, as does Japan.

Thanksgiving is, however, an entirely syncratic (made up) holiday. Celebrated only in the USA (Canadians have a Thanksgiving, but it falls on what we call Columbus Day, and had a different symbolism). No religious belief system in the world sets aside the last Thursday in November as "thanksgiving".

In any event the NHL union contract (at the players' (mostly Canadian) instiance) has specific detals on games, practic, and travel from December 24-26 (the 26th being Boxing Day in Canada). Games today will be among teams that are close to one another.

As to games, I really think that the live gate fan is important. Understand that an NFL game on Christmas is one-eight of a season ticket holder's total games. And many teams draw over a large area. The NBA is different. Many more games and most fans are metro area. College basketball is a once in a lifetime deal and lightly attended.

Christmas in Canada is a big deal. While in the US Thanksgiving is a day for famlies to travel to get together, Christmas is when Canadians will get back together with theirs. This is followed by Boxing Day, where the stores will be crowded for the sales, similar to the US Black Friday. Would think this is why the NHL has a lull in play.

What I quoted above from all you guys, I dont think I knew about it. Thats my fault because I should have researched it better. Now I have a better understanding about why the NHL is off. Only thing is that isnt it in the NHL agreement that they cant play on X-Mas Eve and Day? How come NBA doesnt have that or NFL to avoid playing games on X-Mas and Day like the NBA and NFL did?

They don't. Does the NFL normally play games on Tuesdays or Wednesdays?? :eureka:

Actually most Russians are not Orthodox, but you are correct about when they celebrate.

Russians in general celebrate the holiday on Januray 1st. That is when they give gifts and have their "Christmas" tree. And they normally have 7-10 days off during that time.

Generally speaking, the NFL likes to stay away from playing games on Christmas Eve night and Christmas Day afternoon, although there have been exceptions.

This was my reply to this thread 11 years ago. My how things have changed in the NFL. This year they’re playing a game in the ETZ on Christmas Eve night (Raiders at Steelers- honoring the 50 year anniversary of the Immaculate Reception) and they’re playing two games on early Christmas afternoon (local time). They’re also playing a game on Christmas night, but that’s hardly unprecedented. Just goes to show you how much things can change as time goes by. It’s all about the Benjamin’s.

This was my reply to this thread 11 years ago. My how things have changed in the NFL. This year they’re playing a game in the ETZ on Christmas Eve night (Raiders at Steelers- honoring the 50 year anniversary of the Immaculate Reception) and they’re playing two games on early Christmas afternoon (local time). They’re also playing a game on Christmas night, but that’s hardly unprecedented. Just goes to show you how much things can change as time goes by. It’s all about the Benjamin’s.
Also, the Day of the Week it falls on.

Reactions: Howard Simmons
Also, the Day of the Week it falls on.

Not at all. If you go back over the years when Christmas Eve and/or Day fell on a weekend (which is every 6 or 7 years depending on a leap year) very rarely did the NFL have a game scheduled on Christmas Eve night or Christmas Day afternoon.

Not at all. If you go back over the years when Christmas Eve and/or Day fell on a weekend (which is every 6 or 7 years depending on a leap year) very rarely did the NFL have a game scheduled on Christmas Eve night or Christmas Day afternoon.
I Do remember watching NFL games on Christmas Eve and Day.

NFL season used to end before Christmas. After the merger the first year that Christmas fell on Sunday was 1971. This was the divisional playoff round, and the Kansas City-Miami game was the longest game ever played.

This was unpopular and the NFL avoided Christmas there after. In 1976 Christmas was a Saturday, so they started the season a week early and Christmas weekend was the off week before the Super Bowl. In 1977, the divisional round was held on Saturday the 24th and Monday the 26th. The same was done for the wild card round in 1983 and 1988.

In 1989, with a new longer season, they played a single Monday Night Football game on Christmas night at 9 PM ET. The league has played a single game on some day related to Christmas (Eve, Eve of the Eve, or Christmas Day) in 82, 94, 95, 99, and 2000 and two games in 04, 05 06, single games in 09, 10, and 11, two games in 16 and 17, a single game in 20, and two games in 21. This year is the first where there are three games.

This is the last year of the TV deal. In the new deal, Fox will have the right to carry two day games on Christmas Eve or Christmas Day when it falls on Thursday, Friday, Saturday, Sunday, or Monday. The regular networks will have the rights to carry the night games when it falls on their night.

Reactions: BillD1984

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Latest posts