Is there a reputable company, that can backup a VIP 722 to DVD

Sad, but oh so true. I'd buy one in a heartbeat that would work in HD with ViPs.

You could do it, but you'd have to be pretty Linux savvy if you wanted to copy the contents to a second hard drive. It would also take some work to move the HD stuff to Blu-Ray or (most likely) AVCHD.

To move it to DVD, just feed the S-video stuff to a DVD recorder. As most said, it will take t-i-m-e. That was enough of a challenge with my 625. Don't be surprised if Macrovision rears its ugly head for HBO/Cinemax and older PPV stuff that didn't expire after 24 hours.

Neither is the DVD recorder option others have suggested. Was HD a condition of the OP?

Please help my Mom is moving this weekend and about to cut off Dish Network she has a VIP 722 that we need to return to Dish, is there a reputable company that can backup her TV programming to DVD?

Since DVDs aren't HD, it appears that HD was not a condition of the OP.

This is of no use whatsoever on HDCP HD or anything encrypted. IOW, not what the OP wants. Basically, the content providers don't want people to make copies of their product.

So far, I have never had any problem with copying a playback from my dvr to my Toshiba DVD Recorder. No problem with copy protection. Then again, I don't sub to the premium channels, so I've never tried to copy a movie. I connect the audio via rca plugs and use s-video.

Depending on how much content you want to save, it would probably be cheaper and more convient to just keep the 722 and pay Dish $400 for an un-returned receiver.

The other option is to pay the $40 and activate the external hard drive option on Dish and transfer all the recordings there. Granted you will need another DISH Network DVR to watch it again, but you will not loose anything.

Unless there is something super rare on your dvr,nothing on it is worth the trouble of trying to rerecord or copy.
Almost all television shows can be downloaded in full HD quality from either the broadcasters website or from the studios website. Same goes for many sports and movies. Services such as blockbuster on demand , tversity, hulu and netflix have tons of stuff also.
Plus if you look, you can find some of the DVD sharing sites. This is where people with DVD collections are constantly trading and sharing their DVD collections thru the mail. I haven't done it in a while because DVD's are not HD. But I am sure some people still watch DVD's

She could subscribe to Netflix and rent the DVDs or stream as the content becomes available for about $9 a month.

She could subscribe to Netflix and rent the DVDs or stream as the content becomes available for about $9 a month.

That's fine if the stuff on the dvr is movies. Most of what I have on the dvr is video from PBS or shows from regular channels like hgtv, etc. Those will never show up on Netflix.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)