Is there a way to disable the screensaver on Hopper shutdown?

realgone

Original poster
Mar 13, 2013
Central Washington
I used to have directv and when I turned on my TV and Directv box, my stereo receiver would detect that it was turned on and would come on automatically. When I turned off the TV and Directv box, my stereo receiver detected it and would power itself down as well. Now that I have the Hopper, my stereo receiver comes on when I turn the Hopper on, just like it did with Directv, but when I turn it off, there is a screensaver and obviously still some activity in the Hopper which prevents my stereo receiver from automatically shutting itself off like it did before. Is there a way to disable the screensaver so that it shuts down the Hopper completely? It was nice when my receiver shut itself down and only required one remote. It is not that big of a deal for me, less convenient, but my boyfriend is very technologically illiterate and will likely leave the receiver on all the time, which I do not want. I suppose I could get a Harmony remote, but that costs money and I would like to look for a free solution first. Any suggestions?

The Hopper never "turns off", rather it goes into standby with the accompanying screen saver which can not be disabled.

Which has absolutely nothing to do with the OP problem.

Sent from my iPad using Forum Runner

Why do you say that? If the TV is off, no screensaver, the TV will last longer and there will be less energy used.

Why do you say that? If the TV is off, no screensaver, the TV will last longer and there will be less energy used.
Because the stated problem is the AV receiver remaining on, not the TV. Shutting off the TV isn't going to disable the screensaver for the purposes of having the receiver go into auto-shutoff.

Last edited:
Yes, a Dish remote can turn on or off a TV, receiver, etc. but not with one button. Harmony remote when programmed correctly can really customize how components are turned on and off, and change inputs etc...
As someone mentioned, the receiver really never goes off, I don't think it's really the screensaver keeping the receiver from knowing you have "turned off" the Dish receiver so even if you could disable it probably would make no difference.

Yes, a Dish remote can turn on or off a TV, receiver, etc. but not with one button. Harmony remote when programmed correctly can really customize how components are turned on and off, and change inputs etc...
As someone mentioned, the receiver really never goes off, I don't think it's really the screensaver keeping the receiver from knowing you have "turned off" the Dish receiver so even if you could disable it probably would make no difference.
That's weird. The AV receiver went off automatically with both Directv and Charter Cable. I saw a cheaper harmony remote on Amazon for $29 with the color coded buttons (red, blue, green etc.) similar to the dish remote. I may give that one a try. I would love the more expensive remotes since I have a lot of electronics to control, but at $200-300, not worth it in my opinion.

The only way to shut off any Dish receiver is to unplug it and plug it back in before you want to use it. Of course, that means you will never get a guide update, software update and every time you plug it back in, you will have to wait through the boot up and then wait for it to update the guide, etc.
As others have said, the receivers go into sleep mode and download the epg and any software updates each night.

Most of the modern Dish receivers use something like 5W less when powered "off." Lol. But it beats the hell outta an "aquiring signal" message every time I turn on the TV! Not to mention missed DVR events and a lot of times the LNBs need the power.

Unfortunately, there is not a way to disable the screensaver.

feature request? :)

I'm less worried about Hopper/Joey power consumption than the fact that it keeps my AVR from turning off (ie. it will turn itself off when its inputs go idle for 30 minutes.. but with the screensaver, that never happens b/c the input from the Joey always appears to be active)... very annoying.

On one of my HWS's, the avr receiver will turn off if there is no change in signal after a period. This happens when I pause a program. First the avr shts down and then the tv shuts down after it hqasn't received a signal for a period.
So to the OP, try pausing a recorded program and then see if the avr will shut itself off.

Wait. Do you have the receiver connected to the Hopper via HDMI?? Sounds like you do since you mentioned that your receiver turns on with the Hopper going on just fine.

If so, then the feedback passed along is to FIX the HDMI signal/process. Not address any sort of screen saver issue. What I mean is that for a long time Dish had a problem where they were affecting a key pin on the HDMI connector (holding it in a 'high' state all the time?) where HDMI-CEC would not function as it should. I do not claim to know the HDMI-CEC protocol in detail. I do know is that there is a dedicated wire in the connector and protocol that controls this signal and how it allows equipment to talk to each other. There is no such thing as the video output signal "affecting" the turning on/off of devices or routing signals. Meaning, if video signal is present then nothing will turn off.

They fixed the pin issue in a November 2013 update. Hopper Power On Button: Hopper and TV On - TV Power Off Button: Hopper AND TV off. People were happy. However, they messed it up again in an update the following month. Where the Hopper power controls power on, but the TV power button off does not immediately shut off the Hopper. They introduced some strange off delay for the Hopper.

How do you have your system connected via HDMI? If you use the Hopper remote TV power button (or the TV's power button) to turn off the TV does your a/v receiver turn off as well?

I do not have an AVR with my main setup. Just Hopper to TV HDMI and audio out from TV to my audio system. And I have that unnecessary Hopper off delay when I use the TV off power button which is frustrating (as it seems sometimes it does not work properly). Just wish Dish would put HDMI-CEC back like they had it in November 2013. It worked perfectly.

On one of my HWS's, the avr receiver will turn off if there is no change in signal after a period.
It appears that your AV receiver is only listening to the audio portion, which makes perfect sense. Two potential issues is 1) the OP's receiver doesn't distinguish the audio and video pieces of the signal and 2) their receiver may not have an auto-off function. Certainly can't hurt to try though.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)