Is there a way to disable the screensaver on Hopper shutdown?

I misunderstood. I thought you said it previously shut down IMMEDIATELY after shutting down the DirecTV receiver. If it was a 30-minute no-signal shutdown, that's a horse of a different color.

Have you tried enabling HDMI-CEC in the TV and AVR? This might initiate a shutdown in the AVR when the TV is shutdown.

I've had very poor luck with HDMI-CEC... In our main viewing space (the one I've been trying to solve), it never seems to do anything... ie. I can enable HDMI-CEC on TV + AVR + WJ and nothing seems to turn on/off the other.

In our bonus room, turning off the TV *will* turn off the AVR.. but doesn't work for turning on... that;s the only place I ever see HDMI-CEC work.

I'm willing to blame Denon, and/or since each manuf has their own name for it, maybe they just don't inter-operate very well. And conversely when I turn the AVR on to listen to Pandora, I am just as happy that it doesn't turn the TV on :)

Given that, I was hoping to use the 30-minute power-save-off feature.. but that seems to get foiled by the always-on-video from the WJ (or so I assume). So rather than have it go hours or days being left on, I figure I can schedule a ~midnight cron job to telnet in and turn the Denon off (but I gotsta-go-learn-me some "expect" scripting it appears).

I've had very poor luck with HDMI-CEC... In our main viewing space (the one I've been trying to solve), it never seems to do anything... ie. I can enable HDMI-CEC on TV + AVR + WJ and nothing seems to turn on/off the other.

In our bonus room, turning off the TV *will* turn off the AVR.. but doesn't work for turning on... that;s the only place I ever see HDMI-CEC work.

I'm willing to blame Denon, and/or since each manuf has their own name for it, maybe they just don't inter-operate very well. And conversely when I turn the AVR on to listen to Pandora, I am just as happy that it doesn't turn the TV on :)

Given that, I was hoping to use the 30-minute power-save-off feature.. but that seems to get foiled by the always-on-video from the WJ (or so I assume). So rather than have it go hours or days being left on, I figure I can schedule a ~midnight cron job to telnet in and turn the Denon off (but I gotsta-go-learn-me some "expect" scripting it appears).
Looks somebody has a Harmony in his future.

Looks somebody has a Harmony in his future.

I've got several smart/universal remotes... maybe not top of the line.. but I find most "smart" remotes try to outthink me... and heaven forbid you don't point the Harmony exactly right and miss powering on 1 item.. then you have to dig thru 4 layers of menus to get to the power button for the AVR... that failed the WAF *very* quickly.

I went back last night and made sure HMDI-CEC was enabled on the Joey and AVR, and the LG TV has Simplink (which only claims to control other LG devices)... not a single one would control any other one. Total waste of a protocol.

Checked mine last night. With HDMI-CEC on in settings both the TV and Hopper turn on with a single press of the SAT button. For turn off a single press of the red TV power button turns off the TV immediately and the Hopper after a 5 minute delay. At one time it was speculated that the delay was supposed to allow for a mistaken press of the TV power button to not affect the program buffers. Don't know what additional steps are needed to ensure preserving the buffers during the 5 minute countdown, though, will have to experiment.

I've got several smart/universal remotes... maybe not top of the line.. but I find most "smart" remotes try to outthink me... and heaven forbid you don't point the Harmony exactly right and miss powering on 1 item.. then you have to dig thru 4 layers of menus to get to the power button for the AVR... that failed the WAF *very* quickly.

I went back last night and made sure HMDI-CEC was enabled on the Joey and AVR, and the LG TV has Simplink (which only claims to control other LG devices)... not a single one would control any other one. Total waste of a protocol.
I can point my Harmony at the ceiling and it will turn on my TV, Hopper, Roku, Bluray Player, and AVR. If, by chance, it misses one of them all I have to do is press HELP and it will either turn on, or off, what it missed or it will lead me to what needs to happen by asking questions. There is absolutely no need to go through four layers of menus to get to a power button. I have two Harmony remotes for two different viewing areas. My wife, and I, have no difficulty using them at all....

Reactions: GaryPen
My Harmony remotes have a "help" button, which doesn't require digging through any layers. I have also taught the wife to hold the remote pointed in the general direction of the gear until everything is off or on. If she occasionally messes up, which she does, that's her deal.

But, it sounds like every possible workaround/solution while you are using Dish is too much trouble for you. So, perhaps you should switch back to DirecTV. They usually have "please come back, we missed you" deals to lure folks like you back.

My Harmony remotes have a "help" button, which doesn't require digging through any layers. I have also taught the wife to hold the remote pointed in the general direction of the gear until everything is off or on. If she occasionally messes up, which she does, that's her deal.

But, it sounds like every possible workaround/solution while you are using Dish is too much trouble for you. So, perhaps you should switch back to DirecTV. They usually have "please come back, we missed you" deals to lure folks like you back.

Perhaps you should go back to reading thoroughly and stop making assumptions about "folks like (me)" I never said DirectTV was any better at anything (I have many posts saying quite the opposite). I was simply asking that Dish allow the user to disable the always-on video, presumably in a power-saving menu setting.

For my part, I obviously need to read the manual more thoroughly for my Harmony 550.. as it does have a "help" button, but never did it occur to me that was what it would be for.. and if one doesn't know that.. then yes, one does have to make several keypresses to get to the point of being able to find the power control for a given device (at least you do on the Harmony 550)

FYI.. for the geeks in the house... and if you have a Denon (and/or possibly anything else like Marantz owned by the same corp).. take a look at http://www.openremote.org/display/docs/OpenRemote+2.0+How+To+-+Denon+HTTP+Control

ie.
Code:
curl "http:/your.avr.ip/MainZone/index.put.asp?cmd0=PutZone_OnOff%2FOFF&cmd1=aspMainZone_WebUpdateStatus%2F"

Just tested this and it worked... definitely an imperfect solution, but also a solid backup to slap it on a cron job to run late each evening to catch the days when the AVR doesn't get properly powered off.[/code]