Is there an adapter available to install 1000.4 to 2" super dish mast ?

handymantoo

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Oct 21, 2009
northeast
Dish is upgrading me to 1000.4 and insists on installing new mast on to the roof . I already have 3 old bases screwed to the roof. I have not seen 1000.4 mast but I am sure it is not as solid as my existing 2" super dish mast with struts. Previously they adapted an existing 500 to this mast.

handymantoo

Maybe you need a pole mount. :D Actually, the 500 and the 1000.4 have the same size mast (1-5/8"), but he's right; the 1000.4 mount is a lot sturdier.

The 1000.4 mast is made of a heavier gauge metal so is necessary over a 500 mast. However, you can buy a pipe adapter to go on your superdish mount which would be even sturdier than the 1000.4 mast.

Jumper Shop

200-904th.jpg

Take a piece of 1 5/8 Chain link fence pipe and drop it down into the 2 inch pipemount. Fits pretty good.. Leave just enough sticking up above the 2 inch pipe to mount the dish on. Use self tapping screws from the outside of the 2 inch pipe into the 1 5/8 on the inside.. Use enough to make it sturdy.. Works like a charm..

tell the tech to use a primestar pole adaptor every company should have them and they dont cost you a thing. i use them everyday they rock when doing 500 dish upgrades. however i think that it was mentioned already about the weight of the .4 dish if you wont let the tech put up a new mass which i highly recomend marks idea he has the right idea i would get a piece of pipe that just fits inside the superdish mass and use self tapping screws where as the primestar pole adaptors or quick adapters as some would call them only have two screws that hold it in place against the mass of the superdish and depending on where you live and how bad wind can get i have seen wind blow those suckers loose over time.

i dont want to step on anyones toes here. Just my opinion as an installer so take this with a grain of salt. i strongly disagree with what awohar said adding the adapter makes it more sturdy than the sd mount. Not true the .4 dish like the superdish mass has it's own mass and suport arms given that both are mounted correctly and securly what ever one you add the adaptor to will now be the weaker mount. Making the neck longer think of it as a pry bar whats easier to pry something up with a shorter bar or a longer bar now think of wind being the muscles not to mention adding an adaptor can make it harder to correct plumness in the mass later on. either way my opinion is if your gonna mod your sd mount for the sake of the .4 use a pipe and self taping screws.
Or what i have done in the past and im no carpenter ,and maybe i shouldnt have done this but i was in kind of the same position customer didnt want another mass on the roof and pole was no option here. i talked him into letting me carefully pull up the foot plate of the superdish i then filled in the screw holes with pitch patch/ roof tape then applied pitch patch to the backside of the new .4 foot plate and mounted in the same spot as the old super dish sealing the holes first and then covering them with evan more tape and a whole new mount called the guy a few times from time to time never a problem. maybe this is wrong but it seemed so right lol

So breaking through the primed and powder-coated mast is a better option? Exposing it to rust. No thanks. Fixed a lot of those before. At least the self-tappers would just pull out since all that was holding them in was rust instead of compression.

I have several new pole adapters like the one shown in a picture in an earlier post in this thread if you need one real cheap.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)