Is there any 30 day guarantee?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

andreah1

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 28, 2005
Just got Dish within the past two weeks because of the 100% locals advertising. One day after I got it, our local NBC station conveniently had their transmitter "go out" and have been working on it ever since, of course, it's funny that it coincided with Dish offering it finally, with Direct, they were the only station that would not allow satellite viewing. We are unable to pick it up OTA so thought Dish would be great!!!! Guess not, because now the station is advertising they are on "low transmitter" so OTA can pick them up but not Dish.
I'd rather go back to picking up Distant like I had with Direct (NYC channels, I'm in upstate NY). Can Dish offer them to me instead and if not can I cancel without having to pay a two year committment fee? Any idea how much that would be? Can they just give me the NBC station distant and leave the rest of the locals? I'm really ticked, made this big switch and got screwed anyway. Do I have any recourse?

This is a case of s**t happens. Dish has no control of this situation. Obviously, the NBC station is working hard to get their transmitter back up...and it WILL get back up. A little patience is suggested.

I agree with what you say, just so p.o.'ed. I can guarantee you the station won't be in any hurry to fix anything, it's been known around here that they don't want to be picked up by dish or direct. Now I'm stuck with nothing. I'm chatting with dish right now, but they can't do anything but cancel me (with a fee of course), told them I'll take ANY NBC station but apparently can't do.

Argh, the whole thing has me soooo frustrated. Of course they don't have a 30 day money back, can't give me distant channels (direct did) and have no updates as to when it will be back up again. And, 420 to cancel.

FWIW, I seriously doubt any broadcast station is going to park on their low power transmitter any longer than absolutely necessary. These are so feeble, their audience is probably < 1% (my wag) of what it is on the main transmitter. So, to serve their audience, they'll be back up ASAP.

What in God's name would cause it to be down for over a week? You know what's most frustrating? That they're not talking. Just saying "it's down", well can't you tell people what's wrong? Is there a part on order? Argh.

Darrell, can you fill me in more on the website you provided? I put in my addy, would need a waiver from all and I can already tell you the only one that WON'T waiver is the NBC (the one I'm trying to get right now), they're nasty.
But anyhow, are these stations not thru dish or direct? Can you tell me more? I would be interested in getting them over and above the locals...pm me if you want.

If you lost the NBC on Dish when the transmitter went down I bet dish was also picking the signal up OTA just like someone with an antenna.

I'd say they are on a backup transmitter they would want to be back at full power asap.

Trust me, they are losing money every minute they are down. Whatever the cause, be certain they are working on it as best they can.

What in God's name would cause it to be down for over a week? You know what's most frustrating? That they're not talking. Just saying "it's down", well can't you tell people what's wrong? Is there a part on order? Argh.

You can't just run down to radio shack and buy replacement parts. I'd imagine once they figure out what's wrong they need to order parts and have them installed.

Just hope they don't need a whole new transmitter or someone to climb the tower.

My local PBS lost their analog transmitter a year before the digital switch and never were able to get it back online.

Thanks for making me feel better, I'm looking more into the distant network website and think I'm going to do that as well. I've read that our nbc local station has been down 6 times since they went digital, don't think they can get it together, it's a small city (utica, ny) so I'm sure they can't afford to do much.

FYI some folks have told AAD that they live somewhere other than where they really live.

A related topic is "moving", which is telling Dish that your service address has changed to somewhere else, while your billing address remains where you are. If you're within the spotbeam, you can switch locals that way.

Yes, I'm learing about moving. I like the locals I'm getting (except for the one that's out) and want to get distant too, want both now that I know I can! But trying to find an addy that I can get distant without waiting for waivers, any ideas?

You would be in the Buffalo spotbeam if you "moved" to there. We have NBC, CBS, ABC, FOX, CW, MyTV, PBS, and TBN (religious), with NBC, CBS, ABC, FOX, and CW in HD.

No one does this

Yes, I'm learing about moving. I like the locals I'm getting (except for the one that's out) and want to get distant too, want both now that I know I can! But trying to find an addy that I can get distant without waiting for waivers, any ideas?

No one around here does this, wink wink nudge nudge.
What it sounds like is the they were running a final high power transmitter that uses a tube. Many of those units have to have a tube built as the manufacturers don't stock them(the price is outrageous) So they are having to wait until the tube is built and they install & align it. What they are most likely doing is running off their IPA (intermediate power amp) until they get the new tube running. Most IPA's can put out enuff power to cover 5 to 10 miles at the most when run this way. If they had solid state transmitter then they would just be down a small percent since the amps are added in tandem to increase the power.

I think you are right on about the transmitter, they said it was on low power and the towns directly around their tower could pick up the signal. I'm guessing they got their tube built because the station is up now. Still think I might "move" though.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)