Is there any issue with Diplexed Voom and basic CableTV co-existing?

Shawn95GT

Tivo fanatic
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Feb 9, 2005
Phoenix, AZ
Obviously not on the same wire!

What I've got is a Voom 3 room setup up and running with all of the connections including the OTA amp / multiplexer in the cable box outside.

I had Cox High Speed Internet turned on (self install) and they threw in basic cable while they were at it. I know that this basicly means that they won't add a filter to block the TV sigal but I thought it was a nice gesture on their part.

The cable went live today and I had zero issue getting the data service going. It was a no brainer.

Since they mentioned the free basic cable I figured I'd route that to the kids rooms (2 and 5) so they can watch Disney channel and not tie up a Voom reciever for a 19" SD set :). The Voom reciever will work out nice in the front living room :cool:

I hooked it all up and it is pretty much all snow on the cable company line. About the only recognizable channels were a snowy CSPAN on channel 2 and then a bunch of channeles on 62-72. Of those, two came is about as I'd expect basic cable to come in. I tried hooking a TV to the wall jack that my cable modem is connected to with the same results. I ran a LONG piece of coax right from the cable box to the TV set bypassing all of the house wiring and while the picture was ever so slightly better it was still pretty much useless.

Is there any chance that the Voom setup is creating a lot of noise which is tromping the local cable signal? For a test I un-plugged the OTA amp to see if it had any effect at all and it did not.

Again, I want to emphasise that I am not trying to pass cable and Diplexed Voom on the same wire. The only thing the Voom stuff and the Cox stuff has in common is that it all terminates in the same cable box outside.

I called Cox feeling really bad complaining about not getting the freebie they 'threw in'. They'll have a tech out Friday and if it's something wrong on my end I pay the service call.

If it's a Voom thing I may as well cancel and save the $$ for the Cox service call!

Thanks,

Shawn

No problems here... Time Warner cable going to the OTA input on my multiswitch with the output going to three wall jacks. Each wall jack has voom, a diplexer (different from the one included with the receivers) and a cableTV feed. That feed *can* carry the basic and digital cable and cable modem. The reason is that your cable company has an alloted range of frequencies (1-950mhz). The Satellite used 950-1450. There is no technical reason why your's should not work - however it sounds like you are not getting the freebie they said you would and/or there is poor quality wiring/connections somewhere that is causing undue interference.

Right - I would expect that to be doable, but in your case you won't be able to get OTA HD via the Voom receiver.

I'm simply trying to get Analog cable via a completely seperate piece of coax to two SD sets. The wiring for these is completely independant of the Voom setup.

As of right now I have one of the Voom boxes driving these two rooms via a 2-way splitter on the the coax output . It works great but is a complete waste of a Voom reciever :).

Shawn

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)