Is there anyway to turn off the new (highly annoying) banner on the VIP612?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Ahh... you got me before the edit.

Don't get me wrong, I love the 922 and Dish Network's service. Yes, I am nitpicking, but to upgrade to a fancy high definition interface, completely refined and easy on the eyes.... and then today to see a reminder plastered across the bottom of certain channels telling me something I already new, next to a stretched out channel logo, was disappointing. It was obviously an after thought because it doesn't belong on such an otherwise nice looking interface IMO.

Anyway, I had posted a question for you:
Would you stick with your argument if they added a third banner in the middle? :)

Ahh... you got me before the edit.

Don't get me wrong, I love the 922 and Dish Network's service. Yes, I am nitpicking, but to upgrade to a fancy high definition interface, completely refined and easy on the eyes.... and then today to see a reminder plastered across the bottom of certain channels telling me something I already new, next to a stretched out channel logo, was disappointing. It was obviously an after thought because it doesn't belong on such an otherwise nice looking interface IMO.

Anyway, I had posted a question for you:
Would you stick with your argument if they added a third banner in the middle? :)

Haha, you missed me before my edit too. I answered in my post as an edit. I missed the question previously. Sorry.

Extra effort?
OMG
Click a button.

:eek:
The issue, which you so cleverly ignore, is not the button press itself, but rather it's finding the damn button in the first place! Perhaps you make more mistakes than I do, so you can find CANCEL more easily. It takes me about as long as the loathsome banner is there in my face to find the correct button. So, it's just a big irritant with no good remedy.

The issue, which you so cleverly ignore, is not the button press itself, but rather it's finding the damn button in the first place! Perhaps you make more mistakes than I do, so you can find CANCEL more easily. It takes me about as long as the loathsome banner is there in my face to find the correct button. So, it's just a big irritant with no good remedy.

dish_vip922_remote.jpg

Big cancel button.

And is the same button you need to press when closing everything (Guide, Menus, DVR, etc) So how you won't be able to find it? :confused:

1) channel banners have a purpose. Date, Time, Show name, all things directly related to the channel you are connecting to as confirmation

2) the banner ad does not always respond to the "cancel" button. This issue is also with the slow/lagging guide that comes and goes ... so you immediately pressed cancel... but did the receiver see it? maybe not so you hit it again. next thing you know you've got the channel banner plastered again up there because NOW the receiver is responding to the "cancel" button that you'd pressed three or four times.

3) that we already pay them for these services, and yet they continue to find ways to advertize to us. DishOnline is really *not* about getting users free content, its about getting you somewhere to make you see additional content and fuel the desire to have it for a fee.

All those "locked / unlocked" tags on the picture/item tiles.. the "rent to dvr" etc.. Oh AND they'll throw in access to your DVR with the sling adapter or tech in the 922 just to give you some alternative "value" to the site ... and that's if that part of the site is working.

Conceptually it is these...

• Liberty is what you let them take from you, when you don't fight for what you have.
  • Now what liberty can there be; where property is taken without consent? - S Adams
  • Make yourself sheep and the wolves will eat you. -B Franklin
That some of you refuse to see this, :facepalm

TG2, all good points, but let me add one more..."pick your battles." Is this issue really worth invoking a manifesto? :)

Personally, I don't know how I'm still alive after the onslaught of Dish Network banners that are informing me of additional content I have already paid for. It's an absolute miracle!

I can't believe we're going through this insanity again. It was ridiculous (and embarrassing) enough the first time around.

3) that we already pay them for these services, and yet they continue to find ways to advertize to us. DishOnline is really *not* about getting users free content, its about getting you somewhere to make you see additional content and fuel the desire to have it for a fee.

That's why I haven't even bothered to buy a wireless adapter for my receiver yet. I hear almost nothing but bad things here about DO, so even $12 or whatever they're going for on ebay now seems like too much.

That's why I haven't even bothered to buy a wireless adapter for my receiver yet. I hear almost nothing but bad things here about DO, so even $12 or whatever they're going for on ebay now seems like too much.

Exactly!! Thats another great point as to why the banners stink.DO on our 722 is a complete waste.You take 30mins to find something you might want to watch then 1 to 2 hrs to d/load.Then every night when the receiver updates the show is gone!Dish has acknowledged the issue and say they are working on it,well why promote DO on premium channels when it doesn't work right in the first place?

TG2, all good points, but let me add one more..."pick your battles." Is this issue really worth invoking a manifesto? :)
Pick your battles is a fair enough concept ... the problem is that a company like dish doesn't get the message until its too late. Whats the next "straw to break the camels' back" going to be?

Some won't do the 813's cause there's no PiP, and its a "in moderation" type of thing.. for me.. randomly the receiver doesn't respond until the banner timeout and it clears the screen ... this is annoying to me when I'm only switching to another channel momentarily to set up my "Channel Recall" selection.. only to get stuck on the premium while the damn thing decides to finally drop the banner.

The other side of the argument is the dismissive and aggressive attitude some people are giving it.. "its minor so your desire for us to tell dish we don't want it is not worth my time and i'm going to berate an issue that's important to you" etc..

if you're one of the ones that doesn't find it irritating enough to request dish stop using them, or to give alternatives to turn them off ... then fine, leave it alone, but don't berate those that don't want it and request such.

How did the banner ad option ever get there in the Guide setup screens? they were forced to change the menu systems because they pissed off that many users. Same issue, somewhere else, dish will do what ever they can under the guise of being helpful.

(EDIT: I don't mean "if you're" as in you personally D2B .. I mean the "you"s of those reading that find themselves in that "don't care" group -- Sorry didn't mean it to sound as if pointing finger your way
biggrin.gif
)

Last edited:
FWIW, I wasn't berating, just trying to understand where people are coming from. You explained that well in your last post. :)

If you don't think this is going to appear in other places. I just noticed, I have the Miami/Va game replay on ESPNU right now. Look at the guide info. Dish has an ad to order Season Pass for $135 in the guide info for the game.

Last edited:
I can't believe we're going through this insanity again. It was ridiculous (and embarrassing) enough the first time around.
I know! Seeing all these people come to Dish' defense is embarrassing. It's always embarrassing. Whether they are defending nickel and dime fees, price increases, channel losses, lack of 3D, etc, the weird emotional attachment and blind love and devotion to a corporation never ceases to amaze me. (That goes for all fanboys, Apple, Google, DirecTV, Dish, Ford, Chevy, Coke, Pepsi, etc. You're all nuckin futz.)

Agreed. I hate fanboys. Good thing I haven't seen anyone in this thread exhibiting Dish fanboy behavior. No one is defending Dish. That blanket accusation was just over the top.

I know! Seeing all these people come to Dish' defense is embarrassing. It's always embarrassing. Whether they are defending nickel and dime fees, price increases, channel losses, lack of 3D, etc, the weird emotional attachment and blind love and devotion to a corporation never ceases to amaze me. (That goes for all fanboys, Apple, Google, DirecTV, Dish, Ford, Chevy, Coke, Pepsi, etc. You're all nuckin futz.)
You misunderstood my viewpoint...which is about all the fuss over three seconds of graphics.

Most of the discussion is one of the best I have seen regarding this. TG2 makes some excellent points, enough to make me think about it more, others also about picking battles. My only problem is the Fanboy insertion into this. Because I and others don't feel that banner makes any difference to us, that makes us a fanboy? Come on guys, some of us just don't see it as anything to really care about, especially in the whole realm of things. Before jumping to the "fanboys" look back and see some of our posts on other issues. When people lost their RSN(s), I fully agreed they should be let out of their contract, or at the very least get discounts for it. I have posted many times if you are most interested in sports, get Direct TV. Telephone CSR's for Dish can be awful, I have posted that. One aspect of the PR packages I fully agreed on, they should not have to pay the same amount for many less channels, and less HD channels.
Do I agree that Dish seems to have some strange ways of doing things, of course!

But I'm not going to agree something is horrendous, such as a banner at the bottom of the screen that goes away the same way the top one does when I don't think it is horrendous. And when someone posts that Dish better do something because they will be out of business because of loss of subscribers, when I don't agree because the profit's are strong, I'm not going to agree. Even going back to times when Dish would not accept the cost of programming, and channels might be lost for awhile, I was one of few(er) at that time who agreed with Dish, and was probably considered a "fanboy." Now, most would agree Dish is probably correct on that, maybe not entirely, but nonsense like Disney has to stop. My point is, sometimes we agree with Dish and point out why, sometimes we don't agree with Dish. When you start saying that is being a "fanboy" it makes me think your argument is weak.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts