Is there no way to order PPV or manage account through ethernet connection?

chikagobnd

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 3, 2007
lynchburg, va
Hey, I have a 722k, and a 211k. I have no phone line, just high speed internet. I have both boxes connected via the ethernet connection. As I have found, I am not able to order PPV or manage my account through the box. Do you really HAVE to utilize a phone line to use those services, or is there a work-around for this??

You should be able to order PPV at least with the internet connection. I am not positive about the account management. Have you gone into the menu system and completed the broadband setup? Follow Menu options 6 - 1 - 8. That should get you to broadband setup. Hope this helps.

You should be able to order PPV at least with the internet connection. I am not positive about the account management. Have you gone into the menu system and completed the broadband setup? Follow Menu options 6 - 1 - 8. That should get you to broadband setup. Hope this helps.

Yeah, I have done all that...I am able to utilize the Dish Remote feature and both receivers show "connected". If I try to order PPV or access acct. info, the screen comes up with the phone logo and it tries to dial out and then just gives an error message. Definitely a little confused. BTW, I am also able to access Dish on Demand, though I haven't actually attempted to order anything from it yet.

Last edited:
Wait, you are trying to order a PPV and it comes up with a phone logo? I've never seen that. It should just let you order and then it will dial in via the internet later. Unless you fill it up (I think it is 5 events) and then it gives you an error saying that you need to connect it to the phone or internet. What happens when you hit the dial out button in the diagnostics menu? What does it show?

Ah wait. Are you trying to order PPV from the customer service application instead of the guide? You cannot use the customer service applications or order PPV through DishHome without a phone line. You can only do it through the guide.

Ah wait. Are you trying to order PPV from the customer service application instead of the guide? You cannot use the customer service applications or order PPV through DishHome without a phone line. You can only do it through the guide.

Now, that could be the problem there...and I guess that would also answer the question that I wouldn't be able to manage my acct. without the phone line as well. Thanks for your help, makes sense! Seems like you should be able to just use strictly ethernet, but that's easy for me to say as I have no clue regarding the logistics of all that.

Now, that could be the problem there...and I guess that would also answer the question that I wouldn't be able to manage my acct. without the phone line as well. Thanks for your help, makes sense! Seems like you should be able to just use strictly ethernet, but that's easy for me to say as I have no clue regarding the logistics of all that

SOON :D

Last edited:
I have a phone line and Ethernet on my 722 and cannot use any of the account managing options as the receiver tries to access my account via the dial up, and my account is set up for broadband. No big deal, any changes I want to make I do with my computer. It just seems kind of stupid to not be able to use my receiver. Ordering ppv etc.. is no problem

Account management is known not to work over Ethernet and I don't expect it to be fixed anytime soon since people can just go to the website instead.

However, PPV ordering should work over broadband as far as I know.

Many Charlie Chats ago (when ethernet support was first being rolled out) Charlie said that they were working on allowing PPV ordering, Dish Home/Bill viewing; i.e. allowing the ethernet to replace the phone line. It never happened. Instead, all the ethernet port can be used for today is to avoid the $5.00 hookup fee, the downloading of VOD movies, and send Dish diagnostic data. Since there seems to be little customer demand to fix this, Dish has little incentive to do so. So I doubt we will ever see this.

Many Charlie Chats ago (when ethernet support was first being rolled out) Charlie said that they were working on allowing PPV ordering, Dish Home/Bill viewing; i.e. allowing the ethernet to replace the phone line. It never happened. Instead, all the ethernet port can be used for today is to avoid the $5.00 hookup fee, the downloading of VOD movies, and send Dish diagnostic data. Since there seems to be little customer demand to fix this, Dish has little incentive to do so. So I doubt we will ever see this.

Well, it's definitely not a big deal. I just would have thought that as technically savvy as E*'s boxes are, that you would be able to use the ethernet for anything you can do through the phone line. It would be slightly more convenient than having to go online, but again, not a big deal.

Remember that you can still log into Dishnetwork.com and order PPV/manage your acct from there. Also, you can manage your DVR recordings from the website also.

I actually find the web application easier to control then the rcvr menus.