Is this $6 Charge Correct?

jgantert said:
You know, that math doesn't work out very well when the lease fee is $299 instead of $99. It will take about 6 years to break even.

Didn't you have to trade in your old equipment to get the $99 rate instead of $299. So, you need to add the value of the reciever you traded in to the first year cost.

-John
I agree, at $299 the lease deal wasn't wooing me... but at $99, I went for it.

That's true about the 942 that I upgraded from, however, I leased that also and it's difficult to nail down it's value in my situation. I leased it when I signed up for my first contract with E*, about 9 months ago, and my upfront payment included 2 D500's, a DP311, installation, and I received 6 months of programming credits. Anyway, I felt that it was beyond the scope of the example being made with Comcast there.

Incidentally, I have calculated my total first year costs with E*, including all start-up fees, equipment upgrades, programming and discounts, and have broken it down to a monthly figure... ~$135/month. Had Charlie not decided to goose his programming revenue in February, I would've been a little happier.

Sorry, I haven't been hanging around here for awhile so I've got a few questions now that they have the 622 out and I can purchase it for $499.

I currently have an 811, 501, and 2800. I currently don't subscribe to any of Dish's HD programming and only use the 811 in the master bedroom for standard SD programming (the 32" flat panel LCD has a built-in HD tuner for OTA). I have the 501 in the family room which is hooked up the big Sony which is also hooked up to my Media Center PC that has dual OTA HD tuners. The 2800 is setup in my communications closet to split the output to my office and a spare bedroom. I'm not currently charged any DVR fees but I'm charged for 2 extra receivers.

If I purchase the 622 to install in the family room to replace my Media Center (I'll move that back into the office) and 501, I should be able to hook it up to the Sony and back feed it to the master bedroom. I can then move the 501 to where the 2800 is and split the output to the office and spare bed room. This will allow me to cancel the 811 (sell it) and the 2800.

Question 1, if I purchase the 622, will I have to subscribe to a Dish plan to activate the 622 so I can use it to view and record OTA HD content?

Question 2, what will my charges be? Will I only be charged for one extra receiver and a PVR fee for the 622?

Well with Comcast I am 5 minutes away from a new receiver should something happen to my current one. Just go pick up another. Also, comcast is in the final stages of their deal with Tivo and expect Tivo software on their boxes by the end of the year. That's sweet!

Cool, if you leased, then you have no value in the equipment, so you're good to go!

bkushner-> No luck for Tivo for me. I've heard they are only going to Tivo on the Moto boxes, not the SA boxes. So I'm stuck with the SA8300HD DVR, even when the Tivo software becomes available (for an extra fee, of course). PS> Be happy you are "5 minutes" away from a new box. I've heard people swapping cable boxes frequently because of the "quality". ;)

-John

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts