Is this $6 Charge Correct?

bkushner

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 2, 2005
Audubon, NJ
I'm being charged a $6 addl receiver fee when I only have a 622. The rep at Dish is telling me this is the lease fee to lease the receiver? As you can see below I paid the $299 for the receiver (also note the $59.95 install credit - they tried to nail me with). I didn't know there was a monthly fee for the receiver?

ADDL RECEIVER ACCESS FEE 6.0
DISH NETWORK DVR SERVICEFEE 5.98
DISHHD BRONZE W/ LOCALS 54.99
NBC NETWORK-WESTERN FEED 1.5
KTLA 1.5
KWGN 1.5
CBS HIGH DEFINITION EAST 0.0
EQUIPMENT INSTALL - ADJUSTMENT -59.95
LEASE EQUIPMENT UPGRADE 299.0

The fee is correct.

You could've kept the receiver you had and just add the 622 to your account, it wouldn't have cost any more...

$6 Fee on 622

My understanding is that $299 fee is charged for leasing customers for the previlege of leasing and the monthly $6 fee will be charged as long as he is a subcriber. The only way avoid this is to outright buy the 622 at MSRP which used to be above $650 and now dropped to $499. Correct me if I am mistaken.

Minsk1 said:
It would cost extra $5-6 for the second receiver fee;)

No.

Assuming the receiver he traded in is one he got when he signed up, it was not charged a lease fee.

But I think that the 622 is automatically switched to the pirmary receiver, making any other receiver get charged the second receiver fee.

Ah, I see. I knew I remembered hearing about it in one of the chats. I just didn't realize it was only for new customers.

Looks like there may be some changes/corrections in our favor.

I had two 522's aquired under DHA. I traded one for a 622 under the $299 promotion.

I started seeing the following changes:
5.01 1 Receiver
6.00 Additional Receiver Access Fee
5.98 DVR Fee
5.98 DVR Fee
54.99 DishHD Bronse
5.99 DHP

I did not feel I should be getting that $5.01 "1 receiver" fee, as my 522 was aquired under DHA program and was not subject to that charge before. Also, when I signed up for the 622 upgrade I asked for a specific list of monthly charges, and that extra $5.01 charge was not included.

So, I called Dish a few minutes ago all set for a fight.
Well, the rep told me they had already removed the charge and credited my account, and that my 5/4 bill reflected that! I didn't get that in the mail yet, but I went on line while on the phone. Sure enough, on my newest bill, that fee is gone AND there is a credit to giving me back the fee, prorated to the day this extra charge started!!!

Holly crap!!! Things are looking up! The rep even spoke wicked good English!

Last edited:
MI_GTO said:
Its not only for new customers. Anyone who is leasing a 622 has to pay the $6 monthly lease fee.
BFG said:
No.

(this is pretty fun :))
hmmm... Are there cases where existing customers who lease a 622 are not paying the $6? If yes, are they subs who didn't upgrade under the DIU program?

I DIU'd a 942 to 622 on 4/6/06. Since I was only 8 months into my first contract, I think they're letting me ride out the original terms on my DHA/DHPP. My last billing statement reflects the following...

DISH NETWORK DVR SERVICEFEE 0.0
DHA DISHHD PLATINUM W/ LOCALS 104.99
DISH HOME PROTECTION 5.99
DHPP CREDIT X MONTH - ADJUSTMENT -5.99

Near as I can tell, they done right by me... BFG, I'd appreciate your input on this one :confused:

Allin4greeN said:
hmmm... Are there cases where existing customers who lease a 622 are not paying the $6? If yes, are they subs who didn't upgrade under the DIU program?

I DIU'd a 942 to 622 on 4/6/06. Since I was only 8 months into my first contract, I think they're letting me ride out the original terms on my DHA/DHPP. My last billing statement reflects the following...

DISH NETWORK DVR SERVICEFEE 0.0
DHA DISHHD PLATINUM W/ LOCALS 104.99
DISH HOME PROTECTION 5.99
DHPP CREDIT X MONTH - ADJUSTMENT -5.99

Near as I can tell, they done right by me... BFG, I'd appreciate your input on this one :confused:

So you are paying the $6 addl receiver access fee to lease the 622. If anyone is leasing and not paying the fee I would like to know. According to the following information, everyone who leases pays the fee.

Attachments

• attachment.pdf
    68.4 KB · Views: 234
It's unreal. We pay them $299 for the right to lease their unit at $6 per month.

I have a DVR HD from Comcast that costs me $9.95 a month. Picked up a second one today for guess what? $9.95 a month. Nothing else. Can exchange whenever I want, upgrade to their latest whenver and it even has an enabled external port for my external sata drive giving me tons more room.

Dish has balls. I was one that paid nearly a G for my 921 to have it be obsolete in a year, now I pay $299 for the 622 and they slam me with a $6 lease fee in addition to the HD fee.

Charlie has quite a racket. We pay for his programming and we pay for the means to get that programming. How is it cell phones, cable companies etc all give free equipment? Shame on us.

Brian

MI_GTO said:
So you are paying the $6 addl receiver access fee to lease the 622. If anyone is leasing and not paying the fee I would like to know. According to the following information, everyone who leases pays the fee.

I love how one of the features listed is NO EQUIPMENT TO BUY. Aren't we essentially buying the equipment when we pay $299?

Brian

bkushner said:
It's unreal. We pay them $299 for the right to lease their unit at $6 per month.

I have a DVR HD from Comcast that costs me $9.95 a month. Picked up a second one today for guess what? $9.95 a month. Nothing else. Can exchange whenever I want, upgrade to their latest whenver and it even has an enabled external port for my external sata drive giving me tons more room.

Dish has balls. I was one that paid nearly a G for my 921 to have it be obsolete in a year, now I pay $299 for the 622 and they slam me with a $6 lease fee in addition to the HD fee.

Charlie has quite a racket. We pay for his programming and we pay for the means to get that programming. How is it cell phones, cable companies etc all give free equipment? Shame on us.

Brian
I didn't want to pay $299, that's why I waited for the $99 upgrade deal. So, given your Comcast example, I look at it like this... ((6*12)+99)/12=14.25

I'm paying $14.25/month for the first year and $6/month every year after that. After three years, and amortizing costs, we'll have paid roughly the same amount for leasing STB's, with me having actually come out a few bucks ahead on the 622.

Year1: 622 ($171) - ComcastSTB ($119.40) = $51.60 (Comcast)
Year2: 622 ($72) - ComcastSTB ($119.40) = $47.40 (622)
Year3: 622 ($72) - ComcastSTB ($119.40) = $47.40 (622)

Total three year savings of the 622 over ComcastSTB = $43.20

I'll treat myself to a nice filet mignon for making such a wise purchase ;)

Allin4greeN said:
Total three year savings of the 622 over ComcastSTB = $43.20
You know, that math doesn't work out very well when the lease fee is $299 instead of $99. It will take about 6 years to break even.

Didn't you have to trade in your old equipment to get the $99 rate instead of $299. So, you need to add the value of the reciever you traded in to the first year cost.

-John

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)