Is this a common 921 problem?

mfrodsha

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Feb 12, 2004
My OTA channels "unlock" from the signal about every 2-3 days, and I have to reset the system, and rescan the digital signals just to get them back. In particular, I get the dreaded "Local channel [insert channel number] not found" for all of my OTA channels.

Is this what's going on with everyone else? Or, am I having a hardware issue?

In fact, I can't simply rescan the digital in most cases - it just hangs at channel zero unless I first scan the analog, then scan the digital. Even that has issues. Thus, oftentimes, the only way I can rescan the digitial is by doing a reset of nmv, reentering my factory defaults, restarting, AND THEN rescanning the digital OTA.

I called Dish and they gave me the same stupid excuse about my antenna not being hooked up appropriately. WRONG. The channels never unlocked on my prior Samsung HD receiver. Also, when I lock the channels on the 921, they are perfect, strong, and crystal clear.

Anyone else having the same issue?

common problem...affecting just about everyone.

New software coming soon that will at least partially fix this.

You may see "crystal clear", but what is the front-end seeing? I live on the backside of a hill from the transmitting antenna (9 miles away), and there's a water tank on top of the hill. I have issues of multi-path. Sometimes I have to "rotor" differently when I change channels -- and they both are on the same tower, at the same height. (Haven't met a STB I couldn't hang by mis-positioning the antenna. (Samsung, Dish, Integra, Panasonic, RCA, ...) I figure I'll be able to give the Casper-chip bases STB a run-for-their-money when they start coming out.

What also has to be considered is the strength of the signal sent. Even if they coming from the same exact location.

Partially fix?

markdl said:

What do you mean? As in, so they won't drop as frequently, or so they won't drop at all, but with other limitations?

Thanks for any headsup.

jimg said:
You may see "crystal clear", but what is the front-end seeing? I live on the backside of a hill from the transmitting antenna (9 miles away), and there's a water tank on top of the hill. I have issues of multi-path. Sometimes I have to "rotor" differently when I change channels -- and they both are on the same tower, at the same height. (Haven't met a STB I couldn't hang by mis-positioning the antenna. (Samsung, Dish, Integra, Panasonic, RCA, ...) I figure I'll be able to give the Casper-chip bases STB a run-for-their-money when they start coming out.

I don't know what you mean by "what is the front-end seeing". Please explain. I don't ever reposition the atenna. I have a basic, run-of-the-mill "HD" Terk antenna that I leave in the same spot. The Samsung STB never lost a channel. The Dish . . . well, we all know the story there.

markdl said:

3rd Qtr 2004 is the next scheduled software update last time I talked to advanced tech.

'Coming soon....' :haha

Too funny mark.

Mark_AR said:
3rd Qtr 2004 is the next scheduled software update last time I talked to advanced tech.

'Coming soon....' :haha

Too funny mark.

Even the advanced techs do not know what the programmers are doing (but at least they are not generally in India reading standard responses to standard questions).

I spoke with Renee, the 921 Program Manager at the Echostar Executive office 2 weeks ago. She said they were working on an "Emergency" release to take care of the "dropping OTA" problem introduced with L180.

Unfortunately there are also other OTA problems that we don't know if the emergency release is going to address.

Renee also said they would try and address the "Answering the Phone" problem introduced in L146. (my concern here is that it will he hard to track down since not everyone is seeing the problem)

Now I was hopeing to see the fix this week.... But now it's Friday so who knows????

I don't think the fix is coming this week, and what I meant when I said that it would at least partially fix the OTA issues is that there are several situations causing the OTA channels to "get lost". Some of them are fixed now, and others are proving difficult to track down.

Mark - the advanced tech guys aren't always kept in the loop as to timing and frequency of releases.

markdl said:
I don't think the fix is coming this week, and what I meant when I said that it would at least partially fix the OTA issues is that there are several situations causing the OTA channels to "get lost". Some of them are fixed now, and others are proving difficult to track down.

Mark - the advanced tech guys aren't always kept in the loop as to timing and frequency of releases.

Thanks for the heads up on that. Can you give us an idea of what sorts of things were causing the "unlock", and what sorts of things have yet to be solved? I.e., they know it has something to do with x, but can't find it in the code, etc.

Sorry Mark.

It was 4:20 AM. I wasn't thinking straight. Just frustrated the OTA HD channels don't populate my Favorites list and you can't record any OTA channels unless you are watching them and hit 'record' *sigh*

Reboots are still common and are frustrating me to no end.

It is a little more stable at L 1.80, but not much.

I'm just damn tired of owning an E* Edsel, model 921.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts