Is this a good deal for DSL/Phone Service?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
I did find out that the rate of $40 goes up to $44 after a year. That is still $20 cheaper then Verizon DSL.
Wow, that's about $15/mo cheaper than Concast here. You would think that a national carrier would have the same prices everywhere. One thing to check is if that includes the "No Cable" charge for not getting basic cable with the Internet. I know you're moving your DishNetwork to IL, so that's something to ask about.

Wow, that's about $15/mo cheaper than Concast here. You would think that a national carrier would have the same prices everywhere. One thing to check is if that includes the "No Cable" charge for not getting basic cable with the Internet. I know you're moving your DishNetwork to IL, so that's something to ask about.

That is the NO Cable charge. With cable it is only $30 per month.

Thanks,

I am tentatively scheduling a comcast install for next Saturday the 10th, as I will be there for next weekend and in the house. But because the house is new, they are sending out a truck today to make sure that the address is serviceable.

I did find out that the rate of $40 goes up to $44 after a year. That is still $20 cheaper then Verizon DSL.

The one nice thing about Comcast is that there is no long term commitment, so you can disconnect next week if you find a batter deal.

On another note, my Comcast turned on the new HD channels right on schedule today. Kind of refreshing after reading about all the DISH delays and disappointments for the last several months. I am mostly dissatisfied with the quality so far. Most HD material has looke noticably soft so far. I'll have to give it a few days, but I may very well go and try to set up sat.

Interesting, when Comcast called back to actually schedule the install they no longer had a $40 rate; because I was not bundling any services. iT WAS $44.95 per month plus tax; so I am guessing around $48 per month; about $6 cheaper then what I am paying now, but still cheaper then Verizon DSL.

I asked what it would cost for basic cable, and they said it would be $15 for 19 SD "analog" channels, and I did not see the benefit of that. HD was even more. And the woman was pretty much a biatch as soon as I said I was not bundling anything. "I am in the middle of a Dish Network contract" was what I said -- a lie actually, but I am not switching to cable for HD. :)

Interesting, when Comcast called back to actually schedule the install they no longer had a $40 rate; because I was not bundling any services. iT WAS $44.95 per month plus tax; so I am guessing around $48 per month; about $6 cheaper then what I am paying now, but still cheaper then Verizon DSL.

I asked what it would cost for basic cable, and they said it would be $15 for 19 SD "analog" channels, and I did not see the benefit of that. HD was even more. And the woman was pretty much a biatch as soon as I said I was not bundling anything. "I am in the middle of a Dish Network contract" was what I said -- a lie actually, but I am not switching to cable for HD. :)

Yeah, but did you compare the bundled rate of data+lifeline cable? I think you will find that those 15 channels are "free", and you can use them in a garage, kids bedroom or somewhere else you don't have DISH. They also continue to work during those nasty Illinois thunderstorms to let you know where the tornado is currently churning stuff up.

Yeah, but did you compare the bundled rate of data+lifeline cable? I think you will find that those 15 channels are "free", and you can use them in a garage, kids bedroom or somewhere else you don't have DISH. They also continue to work during those nasty Illinois thunderstorms to let you know where the tornado is currently churning stuff up.

I asked them was the most basic cable was. Didn't use the word's lifeline; but they said there were something like 15 SD channels.

and how are they "free?"

If your Comcast does what my Comcast system did:

Cable Internet $44.95 + $11.00 no cable TV surcharge = $55.95

Cable Internet $44.95 + $11.00 lifeline TV charge - $55.95

The same cost either way.

If your Comcast does what my Comcast system did:

Cable Internet $44.95 + $11.00 no cable TV surcharge = $55.95

Cable Internet $44.95 + $11.00 lifeline TV charge - $55.95

The same cost either way.

Exactly what I meant. Mike, I think you will find that even if you don't sign up for the basic service, you would see it if you hooked a TV up to the cable. I don't think Comcast bothers to filter out that basic tier.

Exactly what I meant. Mike, I think you will find that even if you don't sign up for the basic service, you would see it if you hooked a TV up to the cable. I don't think Comcast bothers to filter out that basic tier.

I got ya now! That makes sense.

So... to cover my ass, so to speak, I have appointments for installs of both DSL and Cable Internet scheduled for late in May, once I get there. I have the ability to actually get inside the house next weekend, and then decide, after looking at all of the wiring in the house, which to use.

I also figured out why the DSL was priced higher then I expected: my wife has a business line for the home; thus business rates instead of residential.

Your home wiring should not really matter on which choice you use. The cable company will install whatever is needed at no cost to you. (most all cable companies have "Free Installation")

Your home wiring should not really matter on which choice you use. The cable company will install whatever is needed at no cost to you. (most all cable companies have "Free Installation")

They want $45 for the install of cable, because its a new house; DSL install is $100, but it gets rebated back.

Id bet money if you told comcast you will only do it if the install is free.. Then it would be free. Id also bet money if you told them you were debating between them and DSL and wanted to know what they can offer you that DSL cant, you will get a nice promo rate, at least a year long.

So... I ended up getting DSL setup; my wife was setting up the phone service, and since she gets a business discount, we decided to try it. While I don't have the whole home network setup yet, I was able to do a speedtest.net test, and I am getting about 6.5Mbit/725k upload. It is zippy.

In all the craziness of getting ready to move, I forgot to cancel the Comcast install -- and they have already installed the coax to the house. I'll end up getting hit with a double bill for one month, but later this week I'll be able to test them both to compare.

I wanted coax brought to the house anyway, and will probably keep the lifeline cable.

damn you guys are lucky, i just moved to madison fl and where i live i can only get dial up
21k to be exact, i used to have cable in okeechobee . i am debating here wildblue or hughesnet. i have installed many hughesnet i know they used to be problems on 2005 era. any help would be appreciated. oh yeah anyone looking for pt work in thias area give me a holler

damn you guys are lucky, i just moved to madison fl and where i live i can only get dial up
21k to be exact, i used to have cable in okeechobee . i am debating here wildblue or hughesnet. i have installed many hughesnet i know they used to be problems on 2005 era. any help would be appreciated. oh yeah anyone looking for pt work in thias area give me a holler

Try to find a wireless provider before turning towards satellite. I live in a rural area that has no cable, dsl, etc, but there are at least 5 companies offering wireless internet service in my part of town.

They typically put a very small antenna at your house and point it it towards their equipment, which will be typically be located on a water tower or cell site. I get much higher speeds and much lower latency than when I had directway (hughesnet) years ago, and I may much less.

Switched over to comcast. $20 cheaper, and getting much better speed.

Speedtest.net just came in at

I was getting 6500 download and 700ish upload with Verizon.

Once FIOS gets here I will reconsider, but for now, comcast is the better deal.

I think its 15,000 feet for DSL. I been awhile since I worked with it. It will work roughly three miles(cable wise) from central office or Remote. I am 10,000 feet way and get 6 Meg easy. Have them test your line first. They may even condtion your line. If you have free LD from cellphone I would try to get a better price for land line.

Sorry did not see you post.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts