Is this a good deal?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

SMP

Original poster
Nov 17, 2005
Hazleton, Pa
Hello All,

Have been a D* customer for almost 3 years now subscribe to the premium pkg, 1 DVR a 2 Receivers. I had VOOM until they went black:( . I really want my HD back and thinking about switching to E* When VOOM was first taken over by E* I called and was not willing to pay $100.00 for a dish I already had installed to receive the VOOM channels again so I said forget it and plus rumor had it D* was coming out with a new box and channels... Well still waiting...... So long story short I checked E* site and for what I am paying now with D* I can get with E* plus the VOOM channels back. I called D* and was sent to retention and they offered me:

HD DVR $449 plus shipping and an install fee, came to about $550 around that ball park.
$20.00 off for 6 months
HD tier free for 3 months
$250.00 credit for the HD DVR
and 3 payments of $133.00 for the HD DVR

It all sounded good but I am still paying about $300 for the HD DVR which is only a savings of $199. If I go to E* I am paying $350 upfront and no contract.

Should I stay or should I go? Do you think I can get a better offer from D* if I call back one more time? I really don't want to leave but for the money I am paying if I can get more else where for the same price or less, well you know the rest.

Thanks in advance!

With all this you still wont get the Voom stuff you say you want so bad, so no matter what they give you you still won't get Voom. So go get the Voom, right?

just so you know 133*3 = 399 which doesn't seem to have that 250.00 credit for the HDDVR. . .

Andyman33 said:
just so you know 133*3 = 399 which doesn't seem to have that 250.00 credit for the HDDVR. . .

That was what I was saying when I was speaking to the rep. But she keep saying it was a good deal and I was saving. I just felt like she was trying to get over on me.

To me it was like she padded the price then gave me a fake credit for $250 when actually was only giving me a credit for $100.

Just wanted to make sure I was not going crazy!

You will be saving, and they aren't trying to pull one over on you; they want you to remain a subscriber. BUT if you want Voom so bad you still wont have it and will be right back in the same situation after the "high" of the offered savings wears off.

DirecTV will have more to offer in the long run, especially toward the end of the year or beginning of '07. They have a MUCH better future. I saw Voom for a while and after the initial wow wore off after the 1st month, it seemed overly repetitive at any cost.

To each his own, but I don't judge a service being better by adding any HD channel just to add it or by having 3, 7, or 12 more channels or whatever, yet its more of the overall situation. To me Voom's extra channels can easily be canceled out by DirecTV's NFL ST, or the LIL HD retransmission; but again thats me.

I have been with DirecTV since early 1996 and also tried Dish side-by-side for 2 full years and didn't like them at all. The CS, hardware or the way the packages were aligned. I think they are too reactionary and no real vision.

Bottom line, if you want the Voom, go with that.

charper1 said:
You will be saving, and they aren't trying to pull one over on you; they want you to remain a subscriber. BUT if you want Voom so bad you still wont have it and will be right back in the same situation after the "high" of the offered savings wears off.

DirecTV will have more to offer in the long run, especially toward the end of the year or beginning of '07. They have a MUCH better future. I saw Voom for a while and after the initial wow wore off after the 1st month, it seemed overly repetitive at any cost.

To each his own, but I don't judge a service being better by adding any HD channel just to add it or by having 3, 7, or 12 more channels or whatever, yet its more of the overall situation. To me Voom's extra channels can easily be canceled out by DirecTV's NFL ST, or the LIL HD retransmission; but again thats me.

I have been with DirecTV since early 1996 and also tried Dish side-by-side for 2 full years and didn't like them at all. The CS, hardware or the way the packages were aligned. I think they are too reactionary and no real vision.

Bottom line, if you want the Voom, go with that.

Thanks for the reply. Not much of a NFL fan, Boxing is my thing:D but I can get that with any provider. Just felt that looking at E* and previously had VOOM switching and getting the VOOM channels back and paying the same I am paying now with D* looked like a win. When VOOM first came out I was paying what I am paying now with D* plus $50 for VOOM.

It's not VOOM I want bad it's the HD content. Seems E* has more to offer right now. If I switch I get the same HD channels D* has but a little more because of VOOM, So is D* really going to offer more by the end of this year?

Maybe I am going through gettin ready to cancel not brought as yet buyers remorse..lol:)

Keep in mind that D's HD Tivo is MPEG 2. If and when they add new channel's they will probably be MPEG 4. Why pay for old technology?

The $650 Dish VIP 622 - http://www.dishretailer.com/dishstore/622/2.pdf

Features....

* Combined high definition (HD) and standard definition (SD) two-tuner satellite receiver that provide several multi-room viewing options and Picture-In-Picture (PIP) capabilities
* Includes DISH Network DVR Service ($5.99/mo) that allows you to pause live TV, play, stop, fast forward, fast reverse, skip forward
* Record up to 180 hours of Standard Definition, up to 25 hours of High Definition entertainment or a combination of the two.
* 1 UHF Pro remote control antenna input for included antenna.
* Instant access to dish home Interactive TV
* MPEG-4 HD Compression Compatible - means you have the ability to receive and record local channel HD programming in your local area (ONLY where available)

https://customersupport.dishnetwork.com/customernetqual/prepAddress.do

**If you do not see HD local channels currently available in your area, you may still be able to receive them via a high definition off-air antenna.

New DishHD programming packages require ViP211™ or ViP622™ DVR receiver.
Additional equipment and costs may apply. Please call 1-888-284-7116 for more information.

Last edited:
charper1 said:
The $650 Dish VIP 622 - http://www.dishretailer.com/dishstore/622/2.pdf

Features....

* Combined high definition (HD) and standard definition (SD) two-tuner satellite receiver that provide several multi-room viewing options and Picture-In-Picture (PIP) capabilities
* Includes DISH Network DVR Service ($5.99/mo) that allows you to pause live TV, play, stop, fast forward, fast reverse, skip forward
* Record up to 180 hours of Standard Definition, up to 25 hours of High Definition entertainment or a combination of the two.
* 1 UHF Pro remote control antenna input for included antenna.
* Instant access to dish home Interactive TV
* MPEG-4 HD Compression Compatible - means you have the ability to receive and record local channel HD programming in your local area (ONLY where available)

https://customersupport.dishnetwork.com/customernetqual/prepAddress.do

**If you do not see HD local channels currently available in your area, you may still be able to receive them via a high definition off-air antenna.

New DishHD programming packages require ViP211™ or ViP622™ DVR receiver.
Additional equipment and costs may apply. Please call 1-888-284-7116 for more information.

Thanks. I will mill this some more and decide by the end of next month.

Neither one is a GOOD DEAL but if you are willing to pay $300 just for the right to lease a product, DISH will give you VOOM in HD LITE format. Find a dealer that can demonstrate DISH HD and see if VOOM looks as good as you remember it. Directv will exceed DISH's HD capacity but it won't be until 4th quarter this year to early next year.:)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)