MDU: DirecTv and OTA distribution question

Status
Please reply by conversation.

rmnowick

Original poster
Dec 2, 2003
All,
I am the treasurer of a condo building that has 50 units in a 3 floor 17 stack configuration with underground wiring. We have an accessible underground parking structure. The local cable company wired the building in 1984 via basement wiring snaking the wires up through the stacks. We recently attempted to get them to also allow us to piggyback DirecTv on the home run wiring to no avail. Assume for the moment that we have no access to the cableco wires.

Part of our recent reserve study included budgeting about $15k for installation of an OTA distribution system. This was a WAG as to what it might cost to duplicate the current cable wiring up all the stacks, but to just use the new wiring for OTA distribution.

Since we will be putting in all new wires and paying for it ourselves, we might as well choose a satellite provider if they can also distribute their product over the same wiring that distributes the OTA signal. This leads to several questions:

1. Can anyone provide a contact for design and installation of the aforementioned system?

2. Any idea what it would cost? We are paying for it and want to own it. We do not want anyone to install a "free" system if we get X% of the residents to subscribe to a specific service.

3. If we do have DirecTv or one of their MDU installers put the system in, will we be able to receive the same programming (i.e. NFL package, LIL-HD (Los Angeles)) as a regular single family home owner?

I guess the main points are that we want to be able to distribute OTA-ATSC signals. And, if at all possible, use the same wiring to allow the residents to subscribe to a satellite provider.

Robert

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)