Is this a normal procedure?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Raised Grain

Original poster
Feb 11, 2008
I had Dish installed a little over a month ago through a local installer. I gave him a check for the up front costs and he said that he would send me a receipt in the mail. At the time I totally forgot that we never signed a contract with him. I called him a week later asking about the receipt and the fact that I never signed the contract. He said the receipt was in the mail and that I wouldn’t have to sign a contract. Hmmm. Is this a normal procedure with Dish?

If I need service in the future and I call Dish, what will happen without my signature on a contract? Or do they have all the info they need when he called to activate the equiptment?

Oh yeah, and he also told me that I don't need a ground wire. "If lightning stikes, your equiptment and the wire will be fried."

but the ground wire helps discharge static electricity that builds up on the dish....sounds like this guy doesn't really know much about satellite dishes and static electricity

If you were left a copy of the "contract", and you didn't sign either copy, the dealer is asked to fax his copy to E*. If they don't receieve that fax or if the signature is missing or un-readable , the dealer will not be paid. If you purchased the setup and didn't lease, you aren't required to sign a contract with E*.

I never signed a contract. I don't know what the repercussions would be in the future, like I said. Unless he signs the contract himself. But why would he do that? I will give him a call.

I never signed a contract. I don't know what the repercussions would be in the future, like I said. Unless he signs the contract himself. But why would he do that? I will give him a call.

I wouldn't sweat the contract... if you have problems in the future, Dish will offer you a free service call, provided you agree to sign the contract at that time...

Not having a contract is to your benefit really... gives you bargaining power as you have no obligation to stay with Dish Network.

Grounding... well... technically it is a safety issue, and in very rare instances, CAN cause your system to malfunction in the future... but at the same time, there are homes where a technician can NOT feasibly ground a system because of where the Dish had to be located or what not. Grounding is required by the NEC, however in the real world, sometimes it can't happen (the ground source can only be 25 feet from the object being grounded according to the NEC).... but if we all followed that code strictly, everyone with a newer home would have their satellite dish towards the front of their house for everyone to see.

In other words, yes, he should have grounded your system, provided he could.... but it's not a HUGE deal that he didn't..... if it bothers you, ask him to do it, or call the 800 number and set up a Trouble Call to get it fixed (you should still have a warranty on your install regardless of your contract, I believe for 90 days)....or you could go buy a length of 10-12 gauge wire and ground it yourself to avoid the hassle.

Was your install for just a 311 or a 322 receiver? If so, since you paid upfront, it sounds like you were set up on the Free For All Promotion. It has an upfront cost of $99 or $149 depending on the receiver and you get monthly credits for a specified term. You don't really have a contract on that promotion, but you lose your credits if you disconnect.

Was your install for just a 311 or a 322 receiver? If so, since you paid upfront, it sounds like you were set up on the Free For All Promotion. It has an upfront cost of $99 or $149 depending on the receiver and you get monthly credits for a specified term. You don't really have a contract on that promotion, but you lose your credits if you disconnect.

I have 3-625 DVRs. $420.00 upfront. 200 channels.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)