Is This An Acceptable Spot To Mount A Dish?(pic attached)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Schmoe

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Aug 6, 2005
I'm having the dish installed on Wednesday, and in preparation, I decided to attach a 2x6 to an overhang on the back for mounting. Will this be okay? Or will that 2ft of "extra" 2x6 make the dish too wobbly. I was thinking that the dish could be mounted at the top of the board.
mount.jpg

Schmoe said:
I'm having the dish installed on Wednesday, and in preparation, I decided to attach a 2x6 to an overhang on the back for mounting. Will this be okay? Or will that 2ft of "extra" 2x6 make the dish too wobbly. I was thinking that the dish could be mounted at the top of the board.
mount.jpg

Looks strong enough to me! But then again, I'm a mailman, not an engineer!

Chip

It's probably best to mount it right at the edge of the roof, a strong wind could snap the end of that board like a twig anywhere above the roof line...

Schmoe said:

I would go with a 4x8 as far as thickness is concern. Some use lag bolts to mount the foot which can go right thru that 2in board .

Well keep in mind that this is not actually the house's roof, just a one story overhang built onto the back(for storing lawnmowers under, etc.) The house is two stories, so it will be blocking the wind completely on one side. I'm not so much worried about the wind snapping the board. I'm more concerned that light winds might "rock" the board, causing the signal to cut in and out.

Anyone know about how much the whole dish assembly weighs?

I'm not sure a free standing 2x6 would be stable enough. I'd also worry about warping as the moisture content changes. I tried mounting one to a 4x4 post that was 3 feet into the ground and it was not stable enough for my taste. What are your other options?

Hey bill,
Did you have it mounted the way I do here? Note that only the top two-feet of the board are free-standing. The rest is securely bolted to the overhang's post.

Schmoe said:
Hey bill,
Did you have it mounted the way I do here? Note that only the top two-feet of the board are free-standing. The rest is securely bolted to the overhang's post.

Mine was a 4x4 post that was part of my fence. Overall, it probably wasn't as sturdy as your setup. I guess if you think about it, they mount these things to 1" steel poles. You will probably be OK, but I went a different route to be sure. I mounted mine into the foundation of my house.

Why not screw the dish straight into the overhang roof, close to where it meets the main roof? You'd probably get close to the height of the 2x6 without the flex.

For that matter, you can screw the base of the dish into your roof near the peak. If you caulk the screws well with silicone it won't leak. Mine has been mounted near my roof peak for 5 years without a leak, and without having to re-caulk.

If you aren't cheap with the silicone, it'll be fine and it wind effects are minimized.

Well, because of the angle to the satellite, putting the dish near where the overhang meets the house is not an option. And since this install will be done by an installer(not me), I'm a little hesitant to let anyone go drilling into the roof.

I could probably get by with just cutting off that top 2 ft and mounting at the top of the overhang, but I wanted to leave the extra there just to give it a little added height boost.

Schmoe said:
Well, because of the angle to the satellite, putting the dish near where the overhang meets the house is not an option. And since this install will be done by an installer(not me), I'm a little hesitant to let anyone go drilling into the roof.

I could probably get by with just cutting off that top 2 ft and mounting at the top of the overhang, but I wanted to leave the extra there just to give it a little added height boost.
The satellite is located 22,500 miles out in space times 5,280 ft =? is 2 ft difference in height going to mean anything except a loss of stability. :)

if you can mount it to the eave then mount it there. you have introduced an additional 2 foot moment arm into the equation and the dish if it fails, will fail just above the roof where the moment(Ft x Lbs) is greatest in the 2x6. What grade of lumber is it? southern pine? douglas fir? green? dry? etc? (they have different moment resisting strengths) It would be interesting to do some calcuations on it. Also how big is the dish? (the size will will dictate the force exerted on the post) Also what wind speed do you want to resist? 100 MPH? 120 MPH? Of course this all does no good if the steel tubing of the Dish is even weaker than the post.

boba said:
The satellite is located 22,500 miles out in space times 5,280 ft =? is 2 ft difference in height going to mean anything except a loss of stability. :)

Well no, not as it relates to the satellite. But that extra two feet gives me an extra year's growth on the pine tree that the dish points above :) All things being equal, I'd rather have to move the dish in 6 years than in 5.

Schmoe said:
Well no, not as it relates to the satellite. But that extra two feet gives me an extra year's growth on the pine tree that the dish points above :) All things being equal, I'd rather have to move the dish in 6 years than in 5.

Im willing to bet you have a new LOS in six years.

The freestanding portion of the board will warp and cause you grief sooner than later.

if you are going to need the additional height, I would recommend additional bracing, or metal incorporated into the design (angle iron, for example).

As an installer with over 6 years of installs and service calls under my belt, I would not install your dish on the board above the roof line. JMO

I have seen dishes mounted on telephone pole style posts and even as large as they are, seasonal changes and natural contracting and expanding causes the dish to move, and requires re-alignment.

I decided to "split the difference" and chop nearly a foot off the plank. So now my rise above the overhang is just a bit over 1 ft. Seems pretty stable and "wiggle-proof".

If need be, I guess I can always chop the rest off later and reinstall/realign the dish.

If need be, I guess I can always chop the rest off later and reinstall/realign the dish.

The best part of a self-install is that you have the confidence to go back and tweak as needed. I am fortunate to have a flat roof and I set up a surface mount five years ago and haven't had to touch it since. Rock solid.

Schmoe said:

Sounds like a good reason to fire-up the chainsaw! :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Dumped DirecTV for Dish

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)