is this legal with Direct TV?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
OK heres an update. I hooked up the 18" round dish at the cottage and I finally got it to work.
Had 1 opening left between the trees and it worked! Got the 101 sat with tons of channels but no locals. It wouldnt tune the NYC locals I think because I get my locals home in Rochester, NY. I guess Ill just deal with no locals unless there is another way. Thanks for all the help. Now my next question;

If I wanted to buy a separate box for the cottage would it work by just switching the card back and forth or do I have to bring the box itself back and forth? If I bought a cheap used
D tv reciever, couldnt I just swap the card each time? If I got another box from D tv, then Id have to pay the monthly fee for the extra line right? hmm... Thanks Im open for ideas.

Nope,

The card and receiver are one item. You could rig the box and call them to turn one address off and the other one on. OR pay two account fees. OR just move the boxes as you travel. Screwing around with the cards and boxes will just confuse them and cost you a few bucks.

Joe

couldnt I call them and get a new box thru them and pay $5/mo.? What if I wanted to shut the new one off in winter though and start again in spring, would I have to give them their box back? Im not sure what to do so I dont have to screw around hooking up a box every time I go up there. Anyone?

couldnt I call them and get a new box thru them and pay $5/mo.? What if I wanted to shut the new one off in winter though and start again in spring, would I have to give them their box back? Im not sure what to do so I dont have to screw around hooking up a box every time I go up there. Anyone?

Yes, you could get another box for the cottage, but Directv is going to want to install it for you. Have them install it at your primary house, then you can bring it to the cottage permanently. To be legit, you shouldn't be using both locations at the same time.

The cards are "married" to the receivers so I don't think you can simply move the access card from place to place. If you get another box from DirecTV then you'll have to pay the monthly fee. Probably easier just to haul one of your existing receivers with you when you're up at your cabin.

OK thanks so Ive got it narrowed down to just taking the existing reciever with me or buying a used reciever and getting direct tv to activate it and paying the $5 mo. fee. Any idea how much they charge for a smart card and how to tell if the used reciever is owned or leased by the seller?

OK thanks so Ive got it narrowed down to just taking the existing reciever with me or buying a used reciever and getting direct tv to activate it and paying the $5 mo. fee. Any idea how much they charge for a smart card and how to tell if the used reciever is owned or leased by the seller?

A new card is $20. Call Directv with the receiver id number. They will tell you if it is a leased unit. If the seller won't tell you what the number is, it is almost definitely a lease.

I think the access cards are $20. If you're still looking for an owned used receiver then get the RID number of the unit from the seller and call DirecTV to see if it truly is an owned unit. Unfortunately there are lots of folks who try to "sell" leased units and you could get stuck with one.

I know it's still leased, I was just pointing out that if he didn't want to order one from DirecTV that is another option. I would just pay the extra 5 dollars a month and just leave it at that, even if you don't use it full time. But that's just my opinion.

I know it's still leased, I was just pointing out that if he didn't want to order one from DirecTV that is another option. I would just pay the extra 5 dollars a month and just leave it at that, even if you don't use it full time. But that's just my opinion.

Never said you didn't know, I was responding to the question posted by
robertjp.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)