Is this normal

Status
Please reply by conversation.

HD#1

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 7, 2007
Los Angeles
When I was watching ESPNHD tonight I changed the resolution to 480p and the pq was better than 72p and 1080i on my Samsung 1080p LED DLP TV, Is that normal or is my TV defective, or is it from ESPN??

Did you change the resolution on the HR20, or on your television? If you changed it on the HR20, your TV would upscale the 480 to 1080i and maybe your tv has a better scaler than the HR20.

does anyone know if a cover is available for the AU9 slimline dish that covers both the dish and LNB assembly?

Well let’s sort things out a bit…

Is your Samsung LED or DLP? [Can’t be both, but different technologies, but should not make a difference]

If it is a 1080p set, it is up converting all signals to 1080p. This is the way a 1080p set works. If set up correctly your HD and BluRay DVD players will deliver 1080p with no up conversion by your Samsung.

The HR20 cannot output 1080p—1080i is the limit so your Samsung will ALWAYS have to up convert the signal. In a perfect world, given up conversions, one is better than two or more. [First by the HR20, then by your Sammy to 1080p]

Try setting your HR20 to “Native” in the HDTV setting of this box. This will deliver to signal as delivered to the HR20 with no up conversion by the HR20, Hence only one up conversion. [By your Sammy]. The downside is the HR20 seems to be a little slower switching channels in this setting.

Also, up converters very in quality at different resolutions and you might also try a fixed output—720p or 1080i from your HR20 settings [in the setup HDTV area] We are back to double up converting in this case, but it might be better.

I have a Sony Bravia 1080p and the “HR20 Native” works best for me.

Play around a bit and Good Luck! :up

Well let’s sort things out a bit…

Is your Samsung LED or DLP? [Can’t be both, but different technologies, but should not make a difference]

If it is a 1080p set, it is up converting all signals to 1080p. This is the way a 1080p set works. If set up correctly your HD and BluRay DVD players will deliver 1080p with no up conversion by your Samsung.

The HR20 cannot output 1080p—1080i is the limit so your Samsung will ALWAYS have to up convert the signal. In a perfect world, given up conversions, one is better than two or more. [First by the HR20, then by your Sammy to 1080p]

Try setting your HR20 to “Native” in the HDTV setting of this box. This will deliver to signal as delivered to the HR20 with no up conversion by the HR20, Hence only one up conversion. [By your Sammy]. The downside is the HR20 seems to be a little slower switching channels in this setting.

Also, up converters very in quality at different resolutions and you might also try a fixed output—720p or 1080i from your HR20 settings [in the setup HDTV area] We are back to double up converting in this case, but it might be better.

I have a Sony Bravia 1080p and the “HR20 Native” works best for me.

Play around a bit and Good Luck! :up

Griz,
It would be DLP or LCD, not LED, LED's are yet to be out on the market as far as I have heard.

That said, I think the Sammy's are all DLP ....
If this helps any :)

Fwiw,
I also run the HR20 with Native "ON" so that my Pioneer Elite will do the processing ...

Jimbo

Jimbo and grizbear

The TV the OP has IS a DLP, but it is the next gen DLP that uses LED lighting to eliminate the use of the color wheel. These have been on the market for a few months now and are superior to the older DLP sets.

I just spent 30 minutes flipping between Native ON and OFF with all resolutions checked and only 1080 checked. As painful as it was to watch SD - I didn't see much difference. I have a Samsung 61 inch DLP. I am sure some will argue - but to me the difference was minor. I think that having Native = Off and only 1080 checked looked the best. Either the Sammy doesn't do a great job upconverting or the hr21 does a pretty decent job. Moral of story is watch HD only??

Both my Sony 1080p and my Phillips 768p LCD look best when HR-20 set to 480p. Same as first poster said.

on HD programming or SD? I agree that there is a slight difference having the HR20 pump out SD programming in native 480p and then having my Samsung DNIe do it's work, but not enough of a difference to actually use Native and wait for the extra time changing channels, since I rarely watch SD.

With HD programming, I leave DNIe off and lock the HR20 to 1080i only - this has given me the best results. I have a very hard time believing that HD programming would look better being sent from the HR20 in 480p mode... but maybe I'm misunderstanding.

on HD programming or SD? I agree that there is a slight difference having the HR20 pump out SD programming in native 480p and then having my Samsung DNIe do it's work, but not enough of a difference to actually use Native and wait for the extra time changing channels, since I rarely watch SD.

With HD programming, I leave DNIe off and lock the HR20 to 1080i only - this has given me the best results. I have a very hard time believing that HD programming would look better being sent from the HR20 in 480p mode... but maybe I'm misunderstanding.
HD only SD no different.If I leave my Receiver on 1080. SD programming looks like crap.480p on both my tvs look the best. Different story with my VIP622. Can't explain it. but 480p on my Sony still looks better then any tv I've seen.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts