Is this possible?

bnewt

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 6, 2003
Shepherdsville, Ky
I want to upgrade to the 942 and at the same time want to switch my current setup.

I want to hook up the bedroom tv to tv2 of the 942 simple enough, but since that tv is an older analog, will I be able to watch the ota locals with the 942 in use and not in use. I also want to add a dual tuner unit upstairs (322 or 625). I want to connect the tv in kitchen to tv2 of this unit. Again, I want to be able to watch the ota locals in the kitchen when the upstairs receiver is in use (very seldom) or not in use.

Presently, I have a 508 that is connected via coax to a channel 4 signal combiner instead of directly to the tv. I run a separate line for the antenna, which is also connected to the channel 4 signal combiner. This allows both of these signals to be distributed to 3 other tvs via a splitter. On any of the tv's I can watch the satellite programming or the locals.

Can this be accomplished with the dual tuner units listed above? I guess basically I need to know if the dual tuner units pass thru the antenna signal to both tuners when the receiver is in use as well as when it is not in use.

The OTA input of a Dish receiver does NOT get passed through to TV2 outputs.

TV2 is a high-power UHF modulator. Combining it with OTA might require use of the attenuator that is supplied with the receiver.

They don't expect people with dual tuners to use OTA. Most people that get dual tuners are on the DHA plan that requires them to get locals provide through the Dish programing. So they don't expect people to need the local OTA on the second tv.

All you have to do is use a splitter/combiner and send the OTA channels on the same line that dish is using. Setup the TV2 out on a channel that is not being used like channel 60. Then all you have to do is turn the TV to the OTA channel you want to watch.

Setup would be from OTA antenna into Splitter. From OTA spliter go out to your other 2 tv's. At some piont in the line use a spilter/combine (you can just use a good splitter in reverse if you want) to add in the 2nd TV output of the Dish receiver. Feed the single line into your TV's. Now they will have OTA and the Dish.

Dave nye said:
They don't expect people with dual tuners to use OTA. Most people that get dual tuners are on the DHA plan that requires them to get locals provide through the Dish programing. So they don't expect people to need the local OTA on the second tv.
There is a certain amount of truth there, however...

The 921 was never available on a lease plan. The only dual tuner models with OTA tuner are DVRs which frequently need to be used to record 2 OTA HDTV channels but can't. Dish has a grand total of 2 distant/LIL network HDTV channels meaning the satellite tuner will almost always be recording regular LIL. Even when down-rezzed for TV2, DTV channels look far better than many standard LILs making the need for a TV2 OTA tuner even greater on the 942 than the 921.

Besides, the HDDirecTiVo has 2.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)