Is this why DISH doesn't offer USA-HD???

MMG

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Dec 4, 2003
According to this link , To get USA-HD, DISH has to offer Sleuth and Chiller HD...

Here's a few examples of bundled channels from the ACA's FCC filing:

If you want: Disney Channel
You get: ABC Family, SoapNet, Toon Disney, ESPN Channels

If you want: USA
You get: MSNBC, CNBC, Sci Fi, Comedy Central, Bravo, Olympics surcharge

If you want: ESPN
You get:ESPN2, ESPN News, ESPN Classic, ESPN 360 (Internet), ESPNU

If you want: USA HD
You get: Chiller, Sleuth

If you want: Disney Channel HD
You get: ABC Family HD, Toon Disney HD, ESPN News HD

If you want: Fox Sports
You get: National Geographic, Fox Soccer, Fox Business, Fox Sports College, Fox Reality, Fuel, Big 10 Network, Fox Movie Channel

If you want: Food Network
You get: HGTV, DIY, Fine Living

If you want: CNN
You get: Headline News, TBS, TNT, WTBS

If you want: MTV
You get: TV Land, CMT, VH1, Nickelodeon, Noggin, VH1 Soul, CMT Pure Country, MTV Jam

Many years ago when I had a big ugly dish. Youy could buy all the channels ala carte. I paid $1.00 per channel and subscribed to 10 channels, plus HBO(which cost a little more). Then came DirectTV and most people moved to the little dish and eventually so did I. Oh Well! The good ole days.

This is why we have problems with negotiations with these different channel providers. Charlie Ergen has talked about this forced bundeling and that it causes our prices to go up every year. He even said that he would like to offer every channel ala carte but this is the reason why. THis is why certain channels have never made it to DISH for years due to the forced carriage of different channels. This is why we see an increase every year because Espn and Disney force the carriage of all these different channels if you want Say ABC, you have to take espn , disney etc. THe fcc chairman has stated that he would like to see an end to forced bundeling and more ala carte. I would like to see an end to this too. I think this is why we have seen so many price increases every year now for the last 7 or 8 years. That being said I am sure that Charlie should add Chiller if it meant getting USa or Sci fi in hd. God knows that if it would mean more HD than I am for it, but only if it didn't mean a price hike again.

You always see posts about Charlie playing hardball to keep prices down compared to other providers. I guess that's true, E*'s raising AEP by $4.99 and D*'s raising Premier by $5.00. ;)

Comcast has USAHD, but no Chiller or Sleuth.
Comcast has ESPN family, without ESPNU.
Comcast has a bunch of those Fox channels without BTN.
etc
etc
etc

I'm not buying it!

Comcast has USAHD, but no Chiller or Sleuth.
Comcast has ESPN family, without ESPNU.
Comcast has a bunch of those Fox channels without BTN.
etc
etc
etc

I'm not buying it!

You don't have to go with the bundling, but you will pay a higher price if you only want to broadcast one channel instead of the bundle, so you are buying it

You don't have to go with the bundling, but you will pay a higher price if you only want to broadcast one channel instead of the bundle, so you are buying it

Also, I'm pretty sure every provider has negotiated different terms. Comcast might have gotten through a loophole in a previous contract or something. Also providers who get in early are likely to get a better deal for being the first to distribute.

I feel that if your a company and you claim to be the #1 in something then when you fall behind to actually do something to catch up.

It would be like mcdonalds stop selling fries but still saying they have americas best fries.

Dish has falling behind Direct. I went to directs website and counted at least 15 channels that are in HD that I want , that dish doesnt carry. At least they let you know when new channels are coming soon. Dish keeps thier customers in the dark which to me is bad business. This is not a guess business but a supply and demand business.

Us, as customers demand HD so direct should supply it at whatever cost and if they can not then stop claiming to be #1 when in reality they are falling to past #2.

If you want: USA
You get: MSNBC, CNBC, Sci Fi, Comedy Central, Bravo, Olympics surcharge

Did NBC/Universal buy Comedy Central from Viacom when I wasn't looking?

I question the validity of your source if they can't even get this right.

I used to believe Charlie had been good at keeping the cost down for us, but lately I no longer think it is true.

While DirecTV may have been more eager to give what the channel providers are asking, even have to pay more, the cost to its subs has actually been more competitive than before.

It used to be that E* was the price leader, now if you need HD, the cost is not that better than D*, not to mention D* has more HDs.

Update

This bit was interesting to me. I was chatting with a Dish CSR, and of course sometimes they seem clueless. Anyway, I asked about USA HD and Sci Fi HD. The CSR responded that they were working on getting Encore HD, USA HD, and SciFi HD. What I found interesting was that this person mentioned Encore without me asking anything about it. This CSR also mentioned that they were coming very soon, but declined to give an exact date.

After that, I contacted another CSR and asked the same questions. This person did not mention Encore, but it was an interesting conversation:

Me: You really have no additional info?
(**-**) Dish CSR: Right but since they are assigned #'s that means they are coming really soon
Me: February 1 when the new HD tiers are introduced?
Me: or before then?
(**-**) Dish CSR: Feb 1
(**-**) Dish CSR: But you did not hear that from me

I changed the names in the chat log above so that everyone stays anonymous. Also marked out the number, in case the CSR could be identified by that.

So, who knows. Maybe this will happen sooner than later.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)