Pair of 311's acting weird...

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

tempVAdish

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 4, 2005
Temperanceville, VA
I have a pair of 311's that have begun to act weird as of late. It seems that once every 2 weeks I'll turn them on & get no picture or sound. The guide is there w/ the correct info, but when I exit the guide, the banner simply says "no info available". I'll do a front panel reboot that will 4 times out of 5, correct it, but on certain times it will come up "your card is not authorized to recieve this programming" at which time I have to goto "dish home" (ch 100) to get my programing back. Is this related to a software update (I'm not at home right now to tell you what version I have), or is this a pending hardware failure & just coincedence that it's hapening to both at the same time?

Thanks all that take time to read this!
Rob

If it is happening to both receivers at the same time connected to the same dish then the problem would lead to what both have in common in which they are tied into, the dish or switch. If you know someone else that has a Dish Network system you could try taking your receiver to their house and see if it functions correctly there.

If it is happening to both receivers at the same time connected to the same dish then the problem would lead to what both have in common in which they are tied into, the dish or switch. If you know someone else that has a Dish Network system you could try taking your receiver to their house and see if it functions correctly there.

That's the problem with intermittent electronics, I can't do that. I will add that my 622 doesn't suffer from this illness. I do have a DP34 that is about 4 yrs old now. I have 2 ports from that connected to the 622, & the other 2 connected to the 311's. Think 2 ports could develop an issue w/o affecting the other 2?

Rob

I have a solution for you but you're not gonna like it, replace the 311 receivers.

When I first signed up for Dish Network, I had 5 311s and all of them had the same problem that you're describing. I replaced everything that you could think of, lnbs, switch, cables, connectors, ground blocks, changed the location of the dish and the problem was still there. I gave up and slowly began replacing the receivers and now I don't have that problem. I had a thread going for a while and you could search for it but I just want to save you all the trouble and time you're gonna spend troubleshooting this problem.

Here's the thread:
http://www.satelliteguys.us/dish-network-forum/29757-311-s-losing-signal.html

Good luck.

Last edited:
Try this before replacing the receivers. Un-hook the coax to going to the dish. Go to menu 6-1-1 then check switch and run a check switch. It will take awhile because no dish is attached. When done it may say you have fewer sats than before go ahead and save it that way. This clears the switch matrix. Then do a front panel reset. Hook the coax back up and run the test again this time it will say 1 of 3 etc. When done exit out and let it count back up. See if this fixes it. Let us know.

RandallA; I'll check out your previous discussion today, I'd like to replace them, but just getting past Christmas, I'd prefer not to spend the $$ (yet anyway :) )

ke4est; Will try this tonight, or tomorrow night after work, I'm getting ready to leave for work now so don't have time to test this one....

skibum; I have version P419 on both....

Thanks,
Rob (kd4nvs)

"RandallA; I'll check out your previous discussion today, I'd like to replace them, but just getting past Christmas, I'd prefer not to spend the $$ (yet anyway )"

Understood. :) I just don't want you to waste your time on this problem, it's a problem with the receivers as you'll find out. Your temporary solution is to keep rebooting the receiver by holding the power button for a few seconds.

Doesn't Dish Network have a promotion until the end of the month where they are replacing bad receivers for free? This was stated along with the free remotes they were giving out in another thread.

"RandallA; I'll check out your previous discussion today, I'd like to replace them, but just getting past Christmas, I'd prefer not to spend the $$ (yet anyway )"

Understood. :) I just don't want you to waste your time on this problem, it's a problem with the receivers as you'll find out. Your temporary solution is to keep rebooting the receiver by holding the power button for a few seconds.

I think i'm going to have to do this. It only happens about every other week, & they are not my main recievers (one in the BR & one in my computer room). I did read all you previous discussion & can't say for certain that i'm loosing signal because the one in the computer room can stay off for days. Oh Well,

Rob

I think i'm going to have to do this. It only happens about every other week, & they are not my main recievers (one in the BR & one in my computer room). I did read all you previous discussion & can't say for certain that i'm loosing signal because the one in the computer room can stay off for days. Oh Well,

Rob

It was frustrating for me because the problem happened like once a week and since I had 5 311s, I basically just gave up.

Just for the record, I have had the following receivers in my setup: 811, 211, 625, 622, 722, 501, and 508 and none of them had or has this problem. On the other hand the 5 311s had the same problem.

It was frustrating for me because the problem happened like once a week and since I had 5 311s, I basically just gave up.

Just for the record, I have had the following receivers in my setup: 811, 211, 625, 622, 722, 501, and 508 and none of them had or has this problem. On the other hand the 5 311s had the same problem.

That definately makes it be in the 311's & not my system. Thanks for the input (everybody) :)

Rob

Do you turn these receivers off on a regular basis? I've seen where some receivers don't update the EPG and then once the data is aged, the receiver hangs in the condition described above. Once the user does the reset, the receiver ends up downloading a new EPG because of the reboot and stays on until that EPG data expires, and the process is begun anew. It was more a problem on 301s but some of the earlier 311s had the same problem. If you don't already, try turning the receivers off each night and see if the hang condition disappears.

Do you turn these receivers off on a regular basis? I've seen where some receivers don't update the EPG and then once the data is aged, the receiver hangs in the condition described above. Once the user does the reset, the receiver ends up downloading a new EPG because of the reboot and stays on until that EPG data expires, and the process is begun anew. It was more a problem on 301s but some of the earlier 311s had the same problem. If you don't already, try turning the receivers off each night and see if the hang condition disappears.

One stays off more than on, and one that is off all day, but runs all night. I think i'll just fight with them until i have more than on HD set, then try to upgrade...

Rob

Just for the record, the 5 311s I had were turned off every night and the problem was always there. It was like, "Ok which receiver will have a black screen today".

I had someone call me and say that their 311 satellite receiver does not give them correct EPG data and some other things if they turn the receiver off before they leave to go on a trip out of state then a few days later it does that. If they leave the receiver on (the entire time they are there) then it will not do it. I told them to leave the receiver on. They have not called me back since. I told them that the only other solution is to buy another receiver so I think they would rather just leave it on until something happens.

I had someone call me and say that their 311 satellite receiver does not give them correct EPG data and some other things if they turn the receiver off before they leave to go on a trip out of state then a few days later it does that. If they leave the receiver on (the entire time they are there) then it will not do it. I told them to leave the receiver on. They have not called me back since. I told them that the only other solution is to buy another receiver so I think they would rather just leave it on until something happens.

Doctor, my arm hurts when I do this.....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts