is trying to get an 811 worth the hassle

lime4x4

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Jan 11, 2004
122
0
I have 51 inch wide screen hdtv tv..Was wondering if getting the 811 is worht the hassle...Does it improve the picture quality of the other channels at all?
 
You don't say what STB you have now. If you can receive over the air stations, and if any of those are in ditigal then you'd be able to get those stations in HD or SD, depending on what they're sending out. It won't improve the E* SD channels and if you have a 6000+8VSB now the SD OTA stations will look worst, almost like an internet streaming video. Also, research all the bugs that have been reported in the 811 on this site. Some folks will put up with all of them, I didn't and dumped the box and switched to D*.
 
ota is in possible in my area...The major networks abc,nbc, and cbs always look cartoonish at times esp when there is alot of action in the scene..I just had the superdish installed and my signal strength is well over 110.Using the s-video connection from my 301 and 501 to the tv.Would like to get hdtv but currently dish is only offering cbs in hd would like to have nbc and abc as well
 
The cbs is worth it... CSI x2, ncis and even down rezzed survivor looks better than the 501 version ( I have one). Until I got Cbs hd last year, I hardly watched, now I watch Most of the monday programming besides the above mentioned. It would be nice to see friends and er in hd though as well as others.
 
rad said:
You don't say what STB you have now. If you can receive over the air stations, and if any of those are in ditigal then you'd be able to get those stations in HD or SD, depending on what they're sending out. It won't improve the E* SD channels and if you have a 6000+8VSB now the SD OTA stations will look worst, almost like an internet streaming video. Also, research all the bugs that have been reported in the 811 on this site. Some folks will put up with all of them, I didn't and dumped the box and switched to D*.
That is totally bogus about the sd looking like internet streaming why dont you stop your trolling and totally useless e*bashing
 
juan said:
That is totally bogus about the sd looking like internet streaming why dont you stop your trolling and totally useless e*bashing
I'm 100% in agreement,and think Juan should get a standing ovation.
 
juan said:
That is totally bogus about the sd looking like internet streaming why dont you stop your trolling and totally useless e*bashing

Because I had a POS 811 and the OTA SD channels DID look like internet streaming video. Maybe I should have narrowed it a bit and said NTSC channels, SD ATSC channels look OK. Sorry, not trolling but the truth, at least on the POS 811 that I purchased. What's wrong, can't stand it when someone says something bad about Charlie???

Just so you know that it's not only me that thinks the OTA NTSC channels look like crap please look in this thread:
http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=2996&highlight=811+ota
 
rad said:
Because I had a POS 811 and the OTA SD channels DID look like internet streaming video. Maybe I should have narrowed it a bit and said NTSC channels, SD ATSC channels look OK. Sorry, not trolling but the truth, at least on the POS 811 that I purchased. What's wrong, can't stand it when someone says something bad about Charlie???

Just so you know that it's not only me that thinks the OTA NTSC channels look like crap please look in this thread:
http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=2996&highlight=811+ota
Didya ever try calibrateing your tv?
 
juan said:
Didya ever try calibrateing your tv?

OTA NTSC via sets internal tuner just fine.
OTA NTSC via prior 6000 with 8VSB just fine.
OTA NTSC via POS 811 NFG, it's not my set, it's Charlies POS 811.

You're telling me that you have an 811, you have it connected to a 55" or larger HD monitor and you have no problems what's so ever watching NTSC OTA channels, they look just as good as any other OTA NTSC tuner? I didn't see that at the 262 level of software in the 811. Maybe they finally got around to fixing it, if so I'm happy for you.
 
Jaun,
I think your off base a bit. Any programming viewed through the S-vid or composite outputs with the 811 look horrible. Very Dark. Now anything via the component looks great except for below average stretch modes incorporated by the 811.
Untill it is fixed I use the 508 for standard DISH programming.
Yes my tv is is setup properly.
 
***

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts