Is ViP722 HDMI Audio only 2 channel?

I have my 722 hooked to a Onyko TX-SR705, then to TV, all via HDMI. Your dish receiver will do Dolby Digital. Forgot where in the Dish Menu but check your Dolby Digital settings. Make sure you set it for both Dolby Digital/PCM and put it in Line Mode, you'll get the best sound that way.

My Samsung TV will output 5.1 through optical, but only if you don't have any HDMI or Component inputs. Of course, i go through my AVR with everything, so it's a moot point for me.
BTW, I do get 5.1 through the HDMI (when the source is 5.1)

Last edited:
Does anyone experience lip-sync issues when using optical to your AVR?

I have my 722 hooked up two ways:

(1) Component + Optical to AVR (Onkyo 606). HDMI from AVR to TV.
(2) HDMI to TV (Used when I want to use the TV speakers)

There was a software upgrade about a year or more that allows my Zenith(LG) Dlp to pass 5.1 from the HDMI output from the receiver, to the TV. Then the fiber optic cable passes 5.1 Dolby digital to my Pioneer dolby digital receiver. But my Upconveret DVD player has to use the coax optical ouptut for DTS. But my DVD player will output DD from the HDMI cable.

ORLY? You're POSITIVE about that?

What if I tell you I have a Sony TV which does?
I have all my components (722, PS3 & Popcorn Hour) hooked up via HDMI to the TV then I have optical audio out from the TV to the Receiver and it not only passes AC3 (Dolby Digital) / Linear PCM but it ALSO passes DTS signals. Now the 622/722 only pass AC3 (Dolby Digital) or Linear PCM but I have a Networked Media Tank (Popcorn Hour A-110) and it will pass DTS signals and EVEN WMA 9 Pro (2 and 5.1 channels) over HDMI through my TV and out Optical to my receiver.

Now as to why I would want to do this? I have an older receiver which only has Optical/Coax inputs which works fine and I don't want to replace it just yet with an expensive HDMI capable one. Also if I decide to just use the TV volume for late night / non disturbing viewing I can. OR if I want surround/better sound just turn the receiver on.

There isn't a TV made that will pass 5.1 DRM act won't allow it Why would you want to anyway ? Tv's are for video, A/V receivers are for audio You can get a nice Onyko 605 for around 400 bucs .
v

Is it a known problem that the ViP722 only outputs 2 channel audio over the HDMI cable?

If I use the optic output I get 5.1 - but the audio coming via HDMI seems to only be 2 channel??

Thanks-

HDMI supports standard, enhanced, or high-definition video, plus multi-channel digital audio on a single cable. It transmits all ATSC HDTV standards and supports 8-channel, 192kHz, uncompressed digital audio and all currently-available compressed formats (such as Dolby Digital and DTS), HDMI 1.3 adds additional support for new lossless digital audio formats Dolby® TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio™ with bandwidth to spare to accommodate future enhancements and requirements.

There isn't a TV made that will pass 5.1 DRM act won't allow it

Complete absolute total rubbish.

Many of Sony's LCDs (some if not all V, W, and Z series Bravias) will pass-thru DD5.1 from HDMI to their optical output. There is a Vizio 120Hz 1080p set that does this as well.

Complete absolute total rubbish.

Many of Sony's LCDs (some if not all V, W, and Z series Bravias) will pass-thru DD5.1 from HDMI to their optical output. There is a Vizio 120Hz 1080p set that does this as well.

In the AVS forum there is sevral theads on this here is on quote

In the few posts where I have seen this claim, the posters were confused. Here's what happened. When the 2-channel optical output from their TV was sent to their AVR, the AVR was set to output 5.1 channels regardless of the input. So, the AVR was using one of the multichannel surrround formats (Dolby PLIIx, Dolby PLII, DTS NEO:6, etc) to convert and present the 2-channel as 5.1 or even 7.1 channels. The AVR delivered 5.1 channels but it was not the 5.1-channel track that was originally with the source material.

As noted before, for DRM reasons, these sets can not pass DD 5.1 channel material except from OTA sources.

Did you read my reply above? You are VERY INCORRECT. I've verified it WILL pass multichannel over HDMI and out to optical.

My reciever displays what the incoming codec is, Dolby Digital, WMA 9 PRO, DTS OR if it's 2 channel it will display Stereo, Pro Logic or NEO.

I've used Home Theater test material encoded with a 5.1 track encoded to DTS, DD, WMAPRO and with each I get discreet sound from each speaker and the sound will pan around the room just like it's supposed to.

In the AVS forum there is sevral theads on this here is on quote

In the few posts where I have seen this claim, the posters were confused. Here's what happened. When the 2-channel optical output from their TV was sent to their AVR, the AVR was set to output 5.1 channels regardless of the input. So, the AVR was using one of the multichannel surrround formats (Dolby PLIIx, Dolby PLII, DTS NEO:6, etc) to convert and present the 2-channel as 5.1 or even 7.1 channels. The AVR delivered 5.1 channels but it was not the 5.1-channel track that was originally with the source material.

As noted before, for DRM reasons, these sets can not pass DD 5.1 channel material except from OTA sources.

Onkyo is the bomb!!!!. I find it true, that most folks that have an Onkyo, also owns a WSM!!!!!!:D Smart folks arn't we??????????

You mean there was any doubt? ;)

No problem. We don't have a smoker at our house.

Geoff

:eek:

Get thee to Amazon, young man, and get a Weber Smokey Mountain "bullet" - either the 18" or the 22" will do! :p :hungry:

Sync

Does anyone experience lip-sync issues when using optical to your AVR?

I have my 722 hooked up two ways:

(1) Component + Optical to AVR (Onkyo 606). HDMI from AVR to TV.
(2) HDMI to TV (Used when I want to use the TV speakers)

Did you gone into the 722 menus and set the sync to HD instead of SD?

Did you read my reply above? You are VERY INCORRECT. I've verified it WILL pass multichannel over HDMI and out to optical.

My reciever displays what the incoming codec is, Dolby Digital, WMA 9 PRO, DTS OR if it's 2 channel it will display Stereo, Pro Logic or NEO.

I've used Home Theater test material encoded with a 5.1 track encoded to DTS, DD, WMAPRO and with each I get discreet sound from each speaker and the sound will pan around the room just like it's supposed to.

Ditto on this!! My LG will pass 5.1 from the HDMI to the SS reciever from both my 622 & my PS3. This is evident when I'm using the SS w/ the 622 & change channels to a non 5.1 broadcast & the 5.1 indicators go back to 2.0 :)

Not only are you wrong, as several other posters have pointed out, but the reason you give for this is ludicrous.

Every source device capable of sending audio over HDMI already has a TOSlink optical or coax output for the digital audio that is simultaneously sending out the same audio signal that the TV would if it could pass the DD5.1 (or DTS or whatever multichannel audio format).

Pick any device - Blu Ray player, satellite receiver, Playstation 3, Popcorn Hour (or other digital media adapter) - they all provide the digital audio separately over optical or coax in addition to sending over HDMI.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)