Isaac Asimov's Foundation (Apple TV+)

The first season will include only 10 episodes, but not cover much of the original Foundation trilogy. The producers apparently want it to be renewed and run for 80 episodes! The story is going to be drawn out far beyond what I was expecting, increasing the odds that it could get canceled before the whole of Asimov's vision can be told.

Reactions: navychop
The first season will include only 10 episodes, but not cover much of the original Foundation trilogy. The producers apparently want it to be renewed and run for 80 episodes! The story is going to be drawn out far beyond what I was expecting, increasing the odds that it could get canceled before the whole of Asimov's vision can be told.
Especially if it's a lot of setup with little story/action.

Unfortunately for a show to last, it has to grab the viewers quickly, especially if the show is expensive.

• Sad
Reactions: TheKrell
Like many on this thread, I read the trilogy many years ago. I actually read them twice because I loved it so much. Let's hope that the series is successful. I am really looking forward to this series.

Like many on this thread, I read the trilogy many years ago. I actually read them twice because I loved it so much. Let's hope that the series is successful. I am really looking forward to this series.
Same here. But I lack any Apple iron, so I don't know how I will do that.

Same here. But I lack any Apple iron, so I don't know how I will do that.
I've never owned an i-Thingy but got three months free of Apple TV+ earlier this year when I bought my Roku Ultra. Apple TV+ is only $5/mo (you don't need to pay for a full year), and the quality of the content (as limited as it is) is exceptional. They also don't seem as quick to cancel big budget shows when they don't find an audience. The show See is one of the best things I've watched streaming in 4K/HDR and has just released its second season.

Reactions: KAB and TheKrell
One episode in, I believe that this will do Foundation justice. It’s not exactly the same as the book so far, but the changes are not jarring.

We’ve got to wake up early so I need to stop watching now.

I enjoyed the first two episodes. They are obviously very well made. I never read the books so I don't have that as a comparison. But I think we should assume a fair amount of changes to make them more relevant for 21st century viewers. I'm still scratching my head over the ending to the second episode. . .
Raych tried to kill Hari Seldon, who was like a father to him, because he called his dad a drunk? WTF? I also thought the Empire only has itself to blame for the poor security and weak structures that allowed the Bridge to be completely destroyed by two suicide bombers. It's harder to blow up an international flight nowadays than it was to destroy such a key transport hub resulting in the deaths of 100 million. Again, WTF?

I read 1 review and it was BAD. The reviewer said they were trying to take Foundation and turn it into Star Wars "to make it more exciting". :crying

I read 1 review and it was BAD. The reviewer said they were trying to take Foundation and turn it into Star Wars "to make it more exciting". :crying
It's far from exciting. And I wish they had cast someone other than Lee Pace to play Empire.

I'm finding it okay so far. It's not mind-blowingly good, but it's not terrible, like a badly written CW or Syfy show. Visual effects are amazing, so no complaints there. It holds my attention and I feel it is worth giving a chance through the end of the season to see where it goes.

”Foundation“ is starting to lose me. The Invictous is a bad SciFi writers’ ship design. Until the one technician was able to restore artificial gravity, what was keeping the water in the cooling pens? Oh, I hear you say, it was frozen from no heat (atmosphere was frozen) so it sure thawed fast, so fast that whatever energy was being pumped into it should be turning it to steam. And why open pools of water? So two people could fall into it while fighting. Just like in “Galaxy Quest” and the hallway of smashing rams. It’s only purpose was to create unnecessary tension.

It is still quite visually appealing, though. According to IMDB, there are three more episodes to go.

• Sad
I did enjoy the last episode better. But obviously the Empire never heard of the Three Laws.