Isiah Thomas could be named Head Coach at FIU this morning...

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
The fact that the AD hired him says they don't care what happens. Look Isiah's not going to be able to sign McDonald's AA's to FIU so he'll likely turn to juco's and guys from diploma mills, maybe even some ex-cons who knows. UConn is in trouble for having a former manager turned agent recruit players. Isiah wouldn't think twice about using sleezy guys like that to land players.

There's only one angle that Isiah is playing here. He wants to restore his image by becoming a good college coach. FIU is an entry point. He's too impatient to try to win legit there so he'll do whatever it takes to win big quick and then try to parlay it into a job in the Big East or something like that. When you take over a team that has lost 20 games 3 of the last 4 years and you want to win big and do it in less than 2 years that says win at all costs, screw the rules. Trust me this is going to be a disaster. The only question is how far he'll go and when the NCAA busts them. If it's after Isiah's already gone then he'll claim none of it was his doing. :rolleyes:

Trust you? You just sounded off as if YOU were part of the Indiana Pacers, New York Knicks AND was a partner in the CBA when Isiah was involved:rolleyes::rolleyes:

There is NO DOUBT that when it comes to the BUSINESS END, he has a HORRIBLE track record. But in you statement, you not only ASSUMED he was going to cheat....but also ASSUMED that that the athletic is/was going to turn a blind eye to it. UNLESS you have INSIDE SCOOP, you are doing NOTHING but guessing and hoping he does this so you can beat your chest and say "I told you so......"

In my opinion, at first glance this appears to be a boneheaded move by FIU...however, I feel that FIU is going to benefit from this relationship for two reasons:

1. The name "Isiah Thomas" will bring players to the University. There is "NO" doubt about this! True, while his track records with Toronto, Indiana and the Knicks would lead everyone to believe he is basketball's version of a pair of lead sneakers, he is still "high profile" in the basketball world and his name alone will bring talented players to FIU.

2. While Mr. Thomas was a horrible "professional" coach, manager and businessman...by golly, he may yet find his "niche" coaching in the college ranks. While I am not sure if he will be successful, he still has a lot to offer the basketball community and this arrangement could actually work.

In any case, if doesn't work out FIU will have some talented players on scholarship.

Excellent points....:up

That's a lot of assumptions there. This sounds kind of personal.

That is ALL he has done is assume. I do not give a ratz ass about Isiah Thomas, but the AD and the school has done alot to improve the image of the school and the done alone to improve athletics at the school....THAT is who I am fighting for here...

Trust you? You just sounded off as if YOU were part of the Indiana Pacers, New York Knicks AND was a partner in the CBA when Isiah was involved:rolleyes::rolleyes:

There is NO DOUBT that when it comes to the BUSINESS END, he has a HORRIBLE track record. But in you statement, you not only ASSUMED he was going to cheat....but also ASSUMED that that the athletic is/was going to turn a blind eye to it. UNLESS you have INSIDE SCOOP, you are doing NOTHING but guessing and hoping he does this so you can beat your chest and say "I told you so......"
It's not personal, just my opinion that's all. Being a bad coach in the NBA doesn't mean you can't win big in college, Rick Pitino proved that. But everything I've ever heard about Isiah is that he is a scumbag and dumber than a bag of hammers. Now you put him into another position of leadership, in not exactly a dream job, and I say Isiah will lie, cheat and steal to make a big impact quick and then split. And no, I don't have any faith in the admins at FIU. Seen this happen too many times in the past. Down on their luck school gambles with a shady character, turns a blind eye, and then gets burned. It's sad, but it happens, and FIU looks like they are just desperate enough to roll the dice.

It's not personal, just my opinion that's all. Being a bad coach in the NBA doesn't mean you can't win big in college, Rick Pitino proved that. But everything I've ever heard about Isiah is that he is a scumbag and dumber than a bag of hammers. Now you put him into another position of leadership, in not exactly a dream job, and I say Isiah will lie, cheat and steal to make a big impact quick and then split. And no, I don't have any faith in the admins at FIU. Seen this happen too many times in the past. Down on their luck school gambles with a shady character, turns a blind eye, and then gets burned. It's sad, but it happens, and FIU looks like they are just desperate enough to roll the dice.

He MUST have something because he was hired over and over and over again AND was even given a position to determine WHICH players to sign, trade or cut. THAT does not sound like a man that is "dumber than a bag of hammers".:rolleyes:

He MUST have something because he was hired over and over and over again AND was even given a position to determine WHICH players to sign, trade or cut. THAT does not sound like a man that is "dumber than a bag of hammers".:rolleyes:
Did you see what he did? Yes that does sound like dumber than a bag of hammers. Getting rehired doesn't mean you have much going on. Indiana hired Kelvin Sampson AFTER he cheated at Oklahoma. Did they look after him closer beacuse of his past? Nope.

What this looks like to me is FIU is a glorfied community college that wants to prove they are legit. They hire Isiah and say take that Miami, Florida and FSU. Kind of like a scrawny guy getting a barbed wire tattoo to look tough. Now would Isiah even take the job if some admins were going to hassle him from their Ivory Towers? No way. This guy is used to calling all the shots. If you give Isiah that much discretion to even run a restaurant, he'd manage to burn it to the ground.

Did you see what he did? Yes that does sound like dumber than a bag of hammers. Getting rehired doesn't mean you have much going on. Indiana hired Kelvin Sampson AFTER he cheated at Oklahoma. Did they look after him closer beacuse of his past? Nope.

What this looks like to me is FIU is a glorfied community college that wants to prove they are legit. They hire Isiah and say take that Miami, Florida and FSU. Kind of like a scrawny guy getting a barbed wire tattoo to look tough. Now would Isiah even take the job if some admins were going to hassle him from their Ivory Towers? No way. This guy is used to calling all the shots. If you give Isiah that much discretion to even run a restaurant, he'd manage to burn it to the ground.

My GOD you are one arrogant SOB!! "a glorified community college"??!! Your "local" university won the national basketball championship and suddenly everyone elses program does not have the right to improve and breathe the same as the Tar Heels?

Hell even decent writes think it was a good move, but hey, YOU know more than anyone else when it comes to the matters of college basketball because mighty North Carolina won it all.....

Commish: Sun Belt teams have to take chances

Wednesday, April 15, 2009

The Sun Belt Conference has to take chances to change its image as a one-bid league, according to commissioner Wright Waters.

That's one of the reasons schools like Florida Atlantic and Arkansas State went after coaches like Mike Jarvis and John Brady, respectively, after they had been sacked at high-major programs.

And it explains why Florida International stunned the college basketball community Tuesday by tapping NBA Hall of Famer Isiah Thomas to rehabilitate his career and to resuscitate the program.

"You have to take some chances -- and some pay off -- to stay competitive," Waters said. "I'll take the top half of our facilities and compete against any facility in the SEC."

Waters rattled off facilities at Arkansas State and South Alabama as being better than those at the University of Alabama and Mississippi State.

"You've got to hire John Brady or hire Mike Jarvis and now Isiah to compete," Waters said. "FIU got more attention [Tuesday] than in the history of the school."

Waters said he has instructed the compliance staff at the Sun Belt Conference to work with the compliance staff at FIU to ensure Thomas understands the nuances of the NCAA rules. Waters said Thomas can't recruit until he passes the online test. Next Monday through Wednesday is a key period for April recruiting.

"I've got some work to do and studying, and I'll study some more [Tuesday night] and get up to speed as quickly as we can," Thomas said. "I don't know if we'll make a big splash this summer, but we'll get out there and beat the bushes and get in on some of the players that haven't signed or committed. But at the same token we have to take care of the players in-house."

FIU athletic director Pete Garcia didn't hide his expectations. He said at the news conference that Thomas could get "the best players in the world" to come to FIU.

Making Florida International a destination for an elite player will be a chore. FIU does have the attraction of Thomas, and plenty of parents of prospective student-athletes would look fondly upon his time at Indiana and with the Detroit Pistons. South Florida as a destination helps. But television exposure and NCAA tournament access is an issue.

As of Wednesday, there has been no decision on whether FIU will get an appearance.

The Sun Belt has had multiple bids only once in the last 15 tournaments, and that was when South Alabama and Western Kentucky made the field in 2008.

Thomas said he sought advice from his former college coach, Bob Knight of Indiana, and Duke coach Mike Krzyzewski. Thomas said Knight told him that he and the team have a "tough journey ahead of us. We're capable, and coach Knight talked about the commitment and hard work." Thomas hinted he might spend a few days with Knight.

"We're not going to do it overnight," Thomas said. "We're not going to jump up over night and compete with the more established programs. We have the potential to do that and the way I coach and prepare [the players] for the next level, I know what it will take to get there."

Hiring a staff will be critical for a team that went 13-20 last season and hasn't had a winning record since 2000. Does Thomas make a splash hire like former NBA guard Tim Hardaway? Does he go with a junior college coach who can deliver players? Does he go with established college recruiters?

"I'll sit down and evaluate as I always do and be meticulous and tedious in putting together a staff with the right people," Thomas said. When asked specifically about Hardaway, Thomas said, "I don't have anyone on the staff, so everyone out there is a candidate."

Thomas said he expected to be at FIU when his contract is up in five years. And he summarized his determination to make sure this works by saying that he has had ups and downs in his life and that people shouldn't "expect me to just stay down. That's not happening."

The FIU provost butchered his name in introducing the new coach, calling him "Thompson" instead of Thomas, but the effort was clearly there to pull in the entire community -- it was one of the most significant days in the school's history. There were representatives of mayoral offices and Dade County at the news conference.

Thomas' decision not to take his salary for the first year will make plenty of headlines. But ultimately the only thing that matters will be whether Thomas is relevant in years to come at a program that hasn't been since it joined Division I.

Thomas called FIU a hidden gem. He said he wanted to take FIU to the next level. What that tangibly means is still up for debate. Thomas is now the face of the program and the school. But it won't mean as much if he doesn't have name players to coach to ensure that FIU becomes a signature Sun Belt program and ultimately an NCAA one, too.

[ame="http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/blog/index?entryID=4071573&name=katz_andy"]Moved Temporarily[/ame]

My GOD you are one arrogant SOB!! "a glorified community college"??!! Your "local" university won the national basketball championship and suddenly everyone elses program does not have the right to improve and breathe the same as the Tar Heels?

Hell even decent writes think it was a good move, but hey, YOU know more than anyone else when it comes to the matters of college basketball because mighty North Carolina won it all.....

"You've got to hire John Brady or hire Mike Jarvis and now Isiah to compete," Waters said. "FIU got more attention [Tuesday] than in the history of the school."
Those are 2 winners. :rolleyes: Brady managed to go from FF to fired in less than 2 years, and Mike Jarvis is a big reason why St. John's is as bad as they are these days.

And this has nothing to do with UNC. I don't have anything against a school wanting to get better. What I have a problem with are schools that hire known scumbags and expect good things to happen.

Apparantly I'm not the only one with concerns.

Isiah coaching FIU prompts hearty LOL -- and chilling OMG - CBSSports.com News, Fantasy, Video

Those are 2 winners. :rolleyes: Brady managed to go from FF to fired in less than 2 years, and Mike Jarvis is a big reason why St. John's is as bad as they are these days.

And this has nothing to do with UNC. I don't have anything against a school wanting to get better. What I have a problem with are schools that hire known scumbags and expect good things to happen.

Apparantly I'm not the only one with concerns.

Isiah coaching FIU prompts hearty LOL -- and chilling OMG - CBSSports.com News, Fantasy, Video

My issues with your comments have NOTHING to do with Isiah....and more to do with:

"glorified community college"
"The fact that the AD hired him says they don't care what happens"

When you know NOTHING of the university nor the AD.

And as far the OJ comment(which could be the most dumb ass statement I have EVER read here), I guess if Rae Carruth was not so busy doing HIS time for murder, he would STILL be your #1 receiver huh?:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

My issues with your comments have NOTHING to do with Isiah....and more to do with:

"glorified community college"
"The fact that the AD hired him says they don't care what happens"

When you know NOTHING of the university nor the AD.
I agree! The poster can attack Isiah Thomas all he wants (within reason) because he certainly has a lot of baggages; he can question FIU's decision because...well, it is certainly a questionable one..and quite possibly a poor one; however, the name-calling directed toward FIU is uncalled for at this time.

I agree! The poster can attack Isiah Thomas all he wants (within reason) because he certainly has a lot of baggages; he can question FIU's decision because...well, it is certainly a questionable one..and quite possibly a poor one; however, the name-calling directed toward FIU is uncalled for at this time.

Honestly, I can even deal with the name calling....really. But do your f***ing homework! Not throw Bullsh!t out there because you either have an issue with the coach or because you have never heard of the school before the hiring....:rolleyes:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts