John Madden Retires

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Skyhi

Pub Member / Supporter
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Sep 29, 2007
NE Ohio
Wow. Just saw this as on CBS sportsline. No article to link to yet.....I'll miss him. I've been listening to Madden since I was a little kid.

John Madden has retired

According to WEEI, Madden has decided to hang it up at the age of 73.

Wow, NFL weekends will be very strange without him!

Thanks for all the great memories, big guy! :) :up

I would think Madden's obvious replacement would be Cris Collinsworth.

Thanksgiving is still not the same without Madden and Summerall.

Maybe they can get Frank Caliendo to fill his shoes...

YAY!!!!!! Sorry I never really liked him that much. Didn't hate him or anything, just didn't like his style.

[ame="http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4073253"]John Madden retiring from broadcast booth - ESPN[/ame]

Here's an article about John Madden's retirement. I liked John personally. I thought he was informative and brought passion to the game. Summerall and Madden WERE the best team ever, I think. When you hear some of the critiques of the announcers today, I think you appreciate Madden and Summerall even more.

Boo. Football Sundays will never be the same. Listening to Madden's voice on Sundays, I don't know how to describe it. He wasn't the most fluid voices, but there was something indeed comforting in hearing him call games. A sad day indeed. :(

Boo. Football Sundays will never be the same. Listening to Madden's voice on Sundays, I don't know how to describe it. He wasn't the most fluid voices, but there was something indeed comforting in hearing him call games.

BINGO!! EXACTLY how I felt!

Boo. Football Sundays will never be the same. Listening to Madden's voice on Sundays, I don't know how to describe it. He wasn't the most fluid voices, but there was something indeed comforting in hearing him call games. A sad day indeed. :(
Absolutely! He was just a regular guy who made a lot of mistakes, but who had a passion for the game that we could all appreciate. Football weekends and Turducken will never be quite the same.

Wow, I'm shocked. There goes one of the last announcers I actually liked.

IMHO Madden played a huge part in making football more appealing to non-diehard fans. His use of basic words and basic explanations made a complicated game easier to understand for many. He was often criticized for dumming it down too much or stating the obvious but I believe his intention was to make football enjoyable for all.

Even more important, IMHO, was that Madden never bought into the sub-plots that many in the sports media try to push today. The important thing was always the game. Not what somebody said to the media earlier that week, not what somebody did at the bar the weekend before, etc. Madden kept it about the game.

Congratulations on a great career John and have fun in retirement.

One can only hope. Better question is who will do the commentating. I think they'll probably jump onto a CBS/FOX/ESPN/NFL Network license deal and do an overhaul with them.

He hasn't done the commentating since like 2005 I think... it's been a 'radio announcer' ever since, and Collinsworth took the bulk of the duties in the latest with Madden doing some canned blue screen work for the skills training portion of the game. Other than that it's just been him cashing checks for a few years.

I don't see them changing anything, as much crap as Madden gets every year it's been generally improved upon each year with the few exceptions when they change generations. This year the lead designer for head coach is now the head of franchise mode and has made a lot of changes I am looking forward to. Those who say nothing changes generally aren't people who play the game, or just don't pay attention to the effort put into it (a lot of EA blogs about the animation, franchise, and AI changes up already).

At some point they'll change the name, but I don't see Madden's retirement being the catalyst.

I liked and appreciate Madden's contribution to football and broadcasting, but grew to find some of the network 'b teams' more entertaining... there was one group that I am not quite remembering off the top of my head that I liked a lot (have been sick for a few days)... I think it was Mike & Mike and Dick Vermiel. I like Collinsworth a lot too. As long as a Gumbel is not in the booth, Bryant ruined it for the two of them with his horrible NFLN games.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)