Issue with ads and trying to switch pages?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mnassour

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 1, 2004
Folks...today I scrolled down to the bottom of a page. When attempting to switch to the next page of messages and insurance ad covered the list of pages that were available. Clicking in "close ad" returned the ad to normal size, but then it immediately expanded again. This happened four times.

Any thoughts?

Folks...today I scrolled down to the bottom of a page. When attempting to switch to the next page of messages and insurance ad covered the list of pages that were available. Clicking in "close ad" returned the ad to normal size, but then it immediately expanded again. This happened four times.

Any thoughts?

Advertisers will do anything to get a click-through. :\

Use FireFox and the NoScript and AdBlocker plugin. :)

Check your machine for spy ware / Adware as we have no ads with popups.

(I hate popups!)

Its not a pop-up I have the problem to.. its an ad for 21century insuracne. and what it does when you mouse over it the ad expands.. thus covering the buttuns, you click the close ad buttun it goes back to normal, but if you try to move your mouse again it expands.. Now what I have to do when they ad gets in the rotation is simpley scroll the browser to the top, then use those buttuns since the ad hides the "nav" buttuns at the bottom of the site..

Do you have a screen shot? I have seen that ad on other sites. I opened this site on a roommate's computer that has Exploder with no ad-blockers, script filters, etc. and couldn't get it to come up. My normal machine I have FF with the settings that block the ads, scripts, etc.

Its not a pop-up I have the problem to.. its an ad for 21century insuracne. and what it does when you mouse over it the ad expands.. thus covering the buttuns, you click the close ad buttun it goes back to normal, but if you try to move your mouse again it expands.. Now what I have to do when they ad gets in the rotation is simpley scroll the browser to the top, then use those buttuns since the ad hides the "nav" buttuns at the bottom of the site..

Do you have a screen shot? I have seen that ad on other sites. I opened this site on a roommate's computer that has Exploder with no ad-blockers, script filters, etc. and couldn't get it to come up. My normal machine I have FF with the settings that block the ads, scripts, etc.

Its usally the ad at the bottom of the site, when you are in an active forum reading posts..

I have been haveing this problem all day. I finally did a system restore to two days ago, and so far it has went away.

I was getting several pop-ups and a lot of them where wanting me to switch to Dishnetwork. I have never had this problem on this site untill today.

I'm going to check my roomie's pooter. Since he uses Exploder, it could've caught something and he is not as careful about his machine. I avoid IE like the plague unless I'm checking pages I make for the transit agency to make sure they format right.

As for the pop-ups, I never got those here except the vB ones to alert you that you have a PM.

If it's spyware causing the pop-ups, it may be grabbing the Dish Network info from the mboard.

I have been haveing this problem all day. I finally did a system restore to two days ago, and so far it has went away.

I ended up paying to avoid the ads. While the site itself comes up immediately the ads take forever. I understand operating costs and the site has been extremely helpful and saved me money so I don't mind. I've never seen the ads in question but I feel your pain.

Just FYI, I know of no CNET ads in our rotation eaither, once again sounds like you have some ad ware on your machine.

(I actually go through and hand select each syndicated ads shown here to keep the crap out, with that said there have been times in the past where the ad agency has sliped in an ad I didn't select.)

That's what I do, both the "Ad-Block" and "No-Script" plugins. The no-script gets rid of the greenies so my screen reader can work. I do turn off the Ad-Block plugin once in awhile to check the current crop or to click on a special banner like that Coca-Cola one that was in rotation recently.

If you are using Firefox, can't you just add the Ad-Block plugin?

Just FYI, I know of no CNET ads in our rotation eaither, once again sounds like you have some ad ware on your machine.

(I actually go through and hand select each syndicated ads shown here to keep the crap out, with that said there have been times in the past where the ad agency has sliped in an ad I didn't select.)

Well its a little white box link, and sometimes it has cnet, sometimes amazon sometimes differnt stuff, with a text box you can type in.. Its on the website itself, I know its not spyware or adware... :) Although sophisticated programs they havent been able to embed themselves onto a site yet...

EDIT-- Speak of the devil heres the cnet thingie..

Attachments

• cnet.JPG
    cnet.JPG
    160 KB · Views: 155
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)