Issue with dvi/vga in my new PC

ShinNYC

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Mar 30, 2006
NYC
Hello everyone,

I built a new rig around an ASUS M2N-SLi deluxe motherboard, an AMD X2 6400+ 3.2Ghz processor and an evga 8800GT 512MB video card. After some problems I got my pc running fine until I found out that my old lcd monitor is not turning on when i use 2 vga/dvi adapters and the dvi cable from my video card cause it doesn't have vga in it. I tried another vga monitor at my friend's house and still it won't turn on. Do you guys know what is the problem and what should I do? I was thinking about a new monitor but since I'm not sure it will fix the problem(could be that the video card is damaged) I thought I may ask you guys first.

Thx in advance.

Is your DVI output digital-only by any chance? The DVI-to-VGA adapters only work on DVI ports that have an analog output included. If you search you should be able to find what the pin arrangement looks like for each type.

Hmmm I don't think so, here are the specifications:

Ports
DVI 2
TV-Out HDTV / S-Video Out
VIVO No

General

Tuner None
RAMDAC 400 MHz
Max Resolution 2560 x 1600
SLI Supported Yes
Cooler With Fan
Dual-Link DVI Supported Yes
HDCP Ready Yes

Packaging

Package Contents 512-P3-N801-AR
Driver Disk
User Manual
HDTV Cable
S-Video Cable
Power Cable
2 x DVI to VGA/D-sub Adapter

Link:
Newegg.com - EVGA 512-P3-N801-AR GeForce 8800GT 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Retail

...I found out that my old lcd monitor is not turning on when i use 2 vga/dvi adapters and the dvi cable from my video card cause it doesn't have vga in it.
Your video card has 2 DVI-I connectors, i.e. it does carry the VGA (analog) video signal.
By "2 vga/dvi adapters" you mean you tried two different ones?
...Do you guys know what is the problem and what should I do?
Either the adapter or the cable (or both) are faulty.
Try attaching the DVI-VGA adapter (must have come with video card) to the video card and run a VGA cable to your TV.

What is the brand/model of your TV? Do you run your TV as the only display device?
If not, the dual display setup must be activated before you see anything on the TV.
Make sure you have the TV on before you turn on the PC.

Diogen.

Well my monitor is kinda old so it doesn't have a dvi port in it, I will get a new monitor obviously and hopefully it will work fine...If not I may have to switch my video card, it's still under warranty.

I got a new 226BW 22" Samsung Monitor and I tried the dvi port directly and I still didn't receive any signal from my video card. I'm starting to think that the video card was damaged or has a DOA.
I'll change it and see if the problem is resolved after that.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)