Issue with old HHD for my vip211k

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

mwdxer1

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 3, 2015
Seaside Oregon
I have had my vip211k receiver for years. I bought a 500GB HDD for the receiver when I first got it. Later on I disconnected it for a larger 1tb HDD. I wanted to see what was still on the old HDD, so I hooked it up. It downloaded the guide and everything, but when I went to view what was on the HDD that I had recorded, I got a message that the HDD has to be re-formatted to work. Of course if I do that all of the old recordings will be deleted. I sure do not want to do that. Any way to fix the issue? Has anyone else had this issue? Thanks.

Might be possible to use a Linux computer to copy files from the 500GB to a larger drive. Right now I can't recall the name of the folder they are in.

EDIT: I believe the folder is called disharc but I'm not sure if it is on the 211 drive or on the DVR drives.

Last edited:
Reactions: TheKrell
I have had my vip211k receiver for years. I bought a 500GB HDD for the receiver when I first got it. Later on I disconnected it for a larger 1tb HDD. I wanted to see what was still on the old HDD, so I hooked it up. It downloaded the guide and everything, but when I went to view what was on the HDD that I had recorded, I got a message that the HDD has to be re-formatted to work. Of course if I do that all of the old recordings will be deleted. I sure do not want to do that. Any way to fix the issue? Has anyone else had this issue? Thanks.
Might be possible to use a Linux computer to copy files from the 500GB to a larger drive. Right now I can't recall the name of the folder they are in.

EDIT: I believe the folder is called disharc but I'm not sure if it is on the 211 drive or on the DVR drives.

Yes, I believe it is "disharc" on DVR EHDs. I have no idea if they have the same folder names on a 211 DVR conversion disk.

But copying corrupted programs will not help them play. Given mwdxer's symptoms, I think think the file system is having trouble, and not the physical disk. If that is the case, then the Linux idea is still a good one. These partitions are all ext3, which is a logging file system that is supposed to fix things on boot. If you boot up your favorite Linux distribution, you (mwdxer) should be able to fsck each partition and clean that up and make it playable again.

Thanks for the quick reply. It looks like it is more of a issue than I can handle. So, I might as well either reformat the HDD or just put it away. I don't need the extra HDD at this time anyway. But I had hoped an easy fix for it. Oh well, such is life.

Thanks for the quick reply. It looks like it is more of a issue than I can handle. So, I might as well either reformat the HDD or just put it away. I don't need the extra HDD at this time anyway. But I had hoped an easy fix for it. Oh well, such is life.
Have you tried disconnecting and reconnecting the HDD? Sometimes that gets rid of the reformatting message if you do it a couple of times.

You might try to unplug the HD, either one, so that there is no hard drive plugged in at all and then do power plug reset on the 211. Then plug the 500 in and see what you get.

Reactions: TheKrell

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)