Issues playing back recorded OTA content

Corey Gilles

Original poster
Jul 31, 2014
OK so for some reason I am having issues when I record a show that I am getting locally OTA. The channel comes in great when I watch live with 100% signal strength, however if I record and play it back the playback is very jittery and audio cuts in and out.
I have a single receiver vip211z and I am using an OTA tuner plugged into it VIA USB. I also have the DVR capability activated and I have an external HD attached to the other USB.
I am diplexing the OTA and satellite signal over a single RG6.
I have no issues at all watching OTA live, it comes in flawlessly. I also do not have any issues with the satellite reception. Both live and DVR playback are great from the dish. I only have issues when I playback shows I record OTA.
Does anyone have any clues on this? I am pretty sure it is nothing related to my signal strength on the OTA antenna, as it reads 98-100% and it does not matter which station I record, all OTA channels play back this way.
I thought it may have something to do with the OTA tuner I am using, but I would think it would affect live TV as well. I have even tried a second external HD, thinking it could be my HD, but again I get the same results.
Any help would be appreciated.

That's quite a puzzle. Do you also see the same issues when you pause your OTA broadcast?

It could be the EHD as well. If a off brand or just been shooken, it could just be it's quality control method.

I had a similar issue with my 722 a few years ago. Real-time viewing was fine, and I could record a single HD satellite channel, but but if I was recording 2 HD satellite channels or a single OTA channel (which has a higher bit rate than a single satellite channel) I would get significant pixilation and jittery audio and video. It really was not watchable. I suspect the disk drive was not keeping up. I contacted DIRT and they replaced the 722 and that fixed it.

Ray

I stand corrected. I am having issues with playback from the dish as well, just not near as bad. I tried to pause my live recording and play it after being paused for a minute or so and it was jittery as well on both ota and dish. The dish recording only seems to break up every minute or so where as the ota is almost unwatchable.
I am thinking it has to be something with my external hard drive as you both mentioned.
Does anyone have this particular model receiver with an external hard drive attached? If so, what brand and size?
Thanks

The 211 series have a max EHD size of 2TB. Most here use WD drives. And regardless of make, they must be AC powered. By chance, are you us using a portable USB powered drive?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)