Issues upgrading on your own?

G Luis

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jun 1, 2005
Down the road a piece
Will I run across any issues by doing a self install of a 722 & 1000?

I’m confident that I can do the install as I’ll just be swapping out my leased 625 and 500 dish. I’ll reuse the double coax and mount the 1000 on the 500 post. I setup my own 5000 a while back and it lasted 5 years with great signal strength plus I’m pretty tech savvy.

The 625 I have now was professionally installed but I want to own the upgrade and not lease plus I don’t want the hassle of an appointment no-show or late show.

My main concern will be with Dish Customer Service. Will there be issues with activating my system because it’s a self-install and switching from a lease? I’m assuming that they’ll send me a box to return the leased 625 … correct?

Thanks in advance.

If you buy a 722 outright you just tell the CSR the ROO and smartcard numbers and activate it on your account. If they tell you they cant, etc, call another csr or get a supervisor. There is nothing preventing you from adding a receiver on your account that you own. If your 625 is a lease then you are at the mercy of the lease terms on it. If you dish it up to a 722 then you can sometimes get them to ship the 722 to you, however if you need a dish upgrade to a dish 1000 for example, this will not be shipped. Thats why its usually better to have a truck roll for most people. If you get a dish 1000 and 722 on your own they are easy to install, just what you feel comfortable with doing yourself. Personally I do all my own work, but then again I was a DNS tech, but knowing what I do I wouldnt let a DNS tech in my house for much of anything. Many techs simply have no idea whats going on. Sadly it casts a negative image on many that do such as on this forum.

You can still do it but you will have to fight for it. You will also have to buy whatever dish equipment you need, as dish does not ship the dish components to you. You would have to go through dish store or someone else to get what you want, install it and then activate the receiver. Prepare to play CSR roulette. You can also expect to be billed heavily if you need a service call in the future.

I purchased, installed, and activated both a dish 1000.2 and Vip622 in the last 4 months. The CSR didn't blink.

If you purchase the recvr then you can install yourself but lease we have to install no way around that ***I'm a dish employee***

Ok, let me rephrase my post.

If you want to lease, Dish Network will need to send an installer. If you buy, you can do whatever the heck you want as far as installation and call to activate.

I hope I didn't come off as being offensive with the ****i'm a dish employee**** i do apologize I dint mean it in the way it was typed Sorrrrrry!!!! I dint read your post either trying to work and be on here too

If you purchase the recvr then you can install yourself but lease we have to install no way around that ***I'm a dish employee***

Why then can I log into dishnetwork.com , go to upgrade my equipement, then have a upgrade on dishin it up for a 622 HD Dvr shipped to my door for $49??????

And we wonder why he have to call in so many times????

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)